Monday, July 10, 2006
Life is funny
Camp has been good thus far. Orientation went by slowly, but that's always how it seems to go, especially when you've sat through orientation for 5 summers. But ah well, such is life.
My counselors are all really fun people, I really like them all alot, and they work very hard! But they are very young! All of them are like 18 and 19 years old. It definately makes me feel very old in comparison. It wasn't that bad this session, because our girls were like 12 and 13 years old. But starting Wednesday, our girls are going to be like 16 and 17 years old. My counselors are freaking out over this, but I keep telling them that if they act like the adults they are, they won't have to worry about not getting respect from the girls. But I guess it's just something they'll have to figure out for themselves.
So I had the typical drama queen camper this past session. I won't name her by name, but yeah, dramatic is an understatement. Well, let's see, she was 12, and about 4 foot 9 with dyed blonde hair, yes, dyed blonde hair. I wouldn't be surprised if the mom also sent out the kid's headshots on a regular basis. Well, opening day, or night rather, and the kid wakes her counselor and myself up at 2 in the morning, basically to shoot the breeze. As she put it "I just can't sleep, do you think there is something wrong with me?" Well, yes I think there is something wrong with you (obviously because what kid at that age would wake up someone at 2 in the morning because they want to have a little chat?) but of course I was the super UD and said "Oh of course not, you just need to get comfortable in a new place, that's all. Now, here's a flashlight, read a book or count sheep or whatever, but you need to go to sleep." In reality I probably could have cared less whether or not the kid went to sleep, I just wanted her to leave me alone at that point so I could go back to sleep.
I know I must sound kind of bitchy, but I promise there is a reason behind it (which I'll get to later.)
Fast foward to the next day, when drama queen camper is on main camp as we call it, arguing with a boy she knew from home. Well, whatever she said to him was quite snippy, so he decided that the best way to deal with her was to throw a slushie drink on her. So I had to deal with drama queen being upset, and then I had to talk to the boy's UD so we could work out what to do as far as disipline. We decided he should just appologize to her, but in the end she refused to accept his appology. As the boy's UD stated (the UD is my good friend Nathan) "If you ask me, that kid totally deserved to get a slushie thrown on her." Haha. Thank you Nathan.
The next day after this, drama queen camper decided that it would be a good idea to read her very R rated monologue to her entire cabin. Yes, so all these 12 and 13 year old girls heard drama queen read a monologue all about sexual abuse. Oh fantastic. So I had to deal with that situation by calling parents and talking to drama queen about the appropriate times to express such art, and the times when it is completely inappropriate, such as in front of 12 year olds. So when I finally got done with that, drama queen decides to cry to her counselor about how much I apparently hated her. Oh for the love of god child!
Yeah, so she was fun to deal with. I also had a literal kicking and screaming incident to deal with, but that was easily solvable by taking dance time away from a couple of girls. Yes, nothing like making you sit out 15 minutes while all your friends are meeting up with their little on camp boyfriends to make you think about the misdeeds you've done.
So session break finally came. I've had fun up to this point. Yesterday I went and stayed at Sarah's house for a day and her parents were, well quite normal. Not what I would expect Sarah's parents to be like. But it was nice, and we just kind of hung out in St. Joe for a day. Then we drove to my house, which was a much longer drive then I expected it to be, thanks to the loveliness of construction. But I'm here.
Moving on to the reason why I'm bitchy. I applied to a grad program that I had my heart set on. I got the MCAT scores they wanted me to have, I had the gpa they wanted...but I opened a rejection letter today. I guess maybe I was feeling too confident because I'm really not used to opening rejection letters. It definately felt like someone sucker punched me. I don't understand why I didn't get in. I worked so hard to get the MCAT scores, and I fit their criteria in every other way. The only think I can think is because I just didn't have as much volunteer experience as they wanted. Either way, I'm just getting a total headache thinking about it, and what was the perfect couple of days off now just seems neverending and bitter. I feel like a total loser. And now I'm really regretting only applying to two programs. What happens if I don't get in to the other program I applied to? I seriously can not imagine what I'll do with myself if I have to be stuck here for another year.
I just feel like I worked so hard to get decent MCAT scores, and after the relief I felt of knowing I had gotten the scores I needed, I now just feel like all that work was for nothing.
Maybe I need to make lemons out of lemonade? Whatever, I always hated the taste of lemonade. Life if funny like that, I guess. Or rather, life just sucks like that, I guess.
Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day.
Monday, July 10, 2006
Life is funny
Camp has been good thus far. Orientation went by slowly, but that's always how it seems to go, especially when you've sat through orientation for 5 summers. But ah well, such is life.
My counselors are all really fun people, I really like them all alot, and they work very hard! But they are very young! All of them are like 18 and 19 years old. It definately makes me feel very old in comparison. It wasn't that bad this session, because our girls were like 12 and 13 years old. But starting Wednesday, our girls are going to be like 16 and 17 years old. My counselors are freaking out over this, but I keep telling them that if they act like the adults they are, they won't have to worry about not getting respect from the girls. But I guess it's just something they'll have to figure out for themselves.
So I had the typical drama queen camper this past session. I won't name her by name, but yeah, dramatic is an understatement. Well, let's see, she was 12, and about 4 foot 9 with dyed blonde hair, yes, dyed blonde hair. I wouldn't be surprised if the mom also sent out the kid's headshots on a regular basis. Well, opening day, or night rather, and the kid wakes her counselor and myself up at 2 in the morning, basically to shoot the breeze. As she put it "I just can't sleep, do you think there is something wrong with me?" Well, yes I think there is something wrong with you (obviously because what kid at that age would wake up someone at 2 in the morning because they want to have a little chat?) but of course I was the super UD and said "Oh of course not, you just need to get comfortable in a new place, that's all. Now, here's a flashlight, read a book or count sheep or whatever, but you need to go to sleep." In reality I probably could have cared less whether or not the kid went to sleep, I just wanted her to leave me alone at that point so I could go back to sleep.
I know I must sound kind of bitchy, but I promise there is a reason behind it (which I'll get to later.)
Fast foward to the next day, when drama queen camper is on main camp as we call it, arguing with a boy she knew from home. Well, whatever she said to him was quite snippy, so he decided that the best way to deal with her was to throw a slushie drink on her. So I had to deal with drama queen being upset, and then I had to talk to the boy's UD so we could work out what to do as far as disipline. We decided he should just appologize to her, but in the end she refused to accept his appology. As the boy's UD stated (the UD is my good friend Nathan) "If you ask me, that kid totally deserved to get a slushie thrown on her." Haha. Thank you Nathan.
The next day after this, drama queen camper decided that it would be a good idea to read her very R rated monologue to her entire cabin. Yes, so all these 12 and 13 year old girls heard drama queen read a monologue all about sexual abuse. Oh fantastic. So I had to deal with that situation by calling parents and talking to drama queen about the appropriate times to express such art, and the times when it is completely inappropriate, such as in front of 12 year olds. So when I finally got done with that, drama queen decides to cry to her counselor about how much I apparently hated her. Oh for the love of god child!
Yeah, so she was fun to deal with. I also had a literal kicking and screaming incident to deal with, but that was easily solvable by taking dance time away from a couple of girls. Yes, nothing like making you sit out 15 minutes while all your friends are meeting up with their little on camp boyfriends to make you think about the misdeeds you've done.
So session break finally came. I've had fun up to this point. Yesterday I went and stayed at Sarah's house for a day and her parents were, well quite normal. Not what I would expect Sarah's parents to be like. But it was nice, and we just kind of hung out in St. Joe for a day. Then we drove to my house, which was a much longer drive then I expected it to be, thanks to the loveliness of construction. But I'm here.
Moving on to the reason why I'm bitchy. I applied to a grad program that I had my heart set on. I got the MCAT scores they wanted me to have, I had the gpa they wanted...but I opened a rejection letter today. I guess maybe I was feeling too confident because I'm really not used to opening rejection letters. It definately felt like someone sucker punched me. I don't understand why I didn't get in. I worked so hard to get the MCAT scores, and I fit their criteria in every other way. The only think I can think is because I just didn't have as much volunteer experience as they wanted. Either way, I'm just getting a total headache thinking about it, and what was the perfect couple of days off now just seems neverending and bitter. I feel like a total loser. And now I'm really regretting only applying to two programs. What happens if I don't get in to the other program I applied to? I seriously can not imagine what I'll do with myself if I have to be stuck here for another year.
I just feel like I worked so hard to get decent MCAT scores, and after the relief I felt of knowing I had gotten the scores I needed, I now just feel like all that work was for nothing.
Maybe I need to make lemons out of lemonade? Whatever, I always hated the taste of lemonade. Life if funny like that, I guess. Or rather, life just sucks like that, I guess.
Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day.
2 comments:
- Robin said...
-
Wow! Sounds like you've had an eventful time at camp. Tweens can be such a handful with their little attitudes. I'd have to slap them and then get kicked out of the camp. LOL!
I'm sorry you didn't get into the grad program you wanted. But on the flip side, congrats that you passed your MCAT's. I'm sure everything will work out for you! {{Hugs}} -
12:17 PM EDT
-
Anonymous said...
-
Looking for information and found it at this great site... Submited sex stories mit international student scholarships Dental health services dhs discount plans Backpacks by luis vuitton suzuki samurai sample personal statement scholarship domain fluoxetine online com scholarships in alberta Lexus ls insurance fax machine test Armani eyeglasses search Rev weight lose pills Info.com find info for incorporate directory Peugeot 307 2002 Sonic soccer north east Folding chairs black Colorado tax efile Online rn nursing program air handler for 3 ton air conditioner 1998 volvo s70 power window master switch
-
4:59 PM EST
2 comments:
Wow! Sounds like you've had an eventful time at camp. Tweens can be such a handful with their little attitudes. I'd have to slap them and then get kicked out of the camp. LOL!
I'm sorry you didn't get into the grad program you wanted. But on the flip side, congrats that you passed your MCAT's. I'm sure everything will work out for you! {{Hugs}}
Looking for information and found it at this great site... Submited sex stories mit international student scholarships Dental health services dhs discount plans Backpacks by luis vuitton suzuki samurai sample personal statement scholarship domain fluoxetine online com scholarships in alberta Lexus ls insurance fax machine test Armani eyeglasses search Rev weight lose pills Info.com find info for incorporate directory Peugeot 307 2002 Sonic soccer north east Folding chairs black Colorado tax efile Online rn nursing program air handler for 3 ton air conditioner 1998 volvo s70 power window master switch
Post a Comment