Sunday, September 23, 2007
Fat Monday
Not that I'm overly upset about the 87 degree high. Actually, I think overall I'll probably enjoy it. I can't believe that today was the official start of autumn. Autumn is nice enough in it's place, but I always miss summer when it's gone. I also really seem to hate winter more and more with every passing year, so autumn usually just serves to remind me of winter coming. I'm just going to enjoy the nice weather, and try to focus on the autumn things I love, such as Halloween and Thanksgiving.
On a side note, speaking of holidays... I was inspired by Robin's trip to the old fashioned Christmas and possible trip to the old fashioned Halloween. My sister and I discussed the possibility of taking my mom to the old fashioned Christmas, because we're sure she'll love it. As much as our mom drives us nuts, we still like to do the mother-daughter outings, no matter how much we might regret it afterwards.
On one last note, still on the topic of holidays (sort of), my sister told me that the DIA (Detroit Institute of Arts) is going to have its grand reopening the weekend after Thanksgiving. Apparently, they will be open for 36 hours straight, with free admission. My sister has this crazy idea of us going at 3am, the morning following Thanksgiving. She says it will be perfect, because all the soccer moms will be out standing in line at the door of Target, trying to get bargain priced DVD players. Meanwhile, we could have free reign of the museum (in theory.) I told her to remind me sometime close to Thanksgiving, and I'll let her know if I'm up for it.
******
Okay moving on. My friend gave me the link for this: http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/fit.nation/obesity.map/ It is an obesity map of the U.S., and it's quite shocking! It really makes you think, what the heck is going on in the world? Okay, yes, restaurants have changed their portions... more and more fast food chains are opening... but seriously. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong on this, but can we really blame restaurants, and food manufacturers for making us fat? Especially now, when so much information can be found on the wrapper of what you eat? It does not take a genius to say "I'm overweight because I consume too many calories."
I think the obesity problem in America is a very complex problem, with many different causes. That being said however, I do wish people would take some more responsibility with their own health. I have an example from last night. I went to see a play with a few friends. After the play, we went out with a group of the actors (music and theatre geeks usually go hand in hand, lol) to have dinner at Applebee's. Many of us ended up ordering this special that Applebee's has going on right now, where you order three of a particular set of "small" appetizers as a meal for $10.99. My meal ended up consisting of two "mini" bacon cheeseburgers (which really, the two mini burgers ended up equaling a decent sized burger), tuscan cheese dip with garlic and rosemary bread, and popcorn shrimp. (Wow, no fiber at all! Wow.) I was only able to finish about 3/4 of the tuscan cheese dip, one mini burger, and about 1/3 of the shrimp, before I was absolutely stuffed. I asked the waitress for a to-go box, and I made a comment to my friend that I easily have enough for another meal.
My friend, on the other hand, had ate pretty much everything on her plate. She made a comment to me that I "eat like a bird" and asked me if I was hungry. A little while later she made a comment about how "thin" I am, and how she just doesn't understand how it can be that I weigh so much less than her, that my "metabolism" must be super fast. Now, as most of my friends know, I love to eat. I love love love food. That being said, while I love food and love to snack, I am very good at eating until I am satisfied, and then stopping. As far as weight goes, while I don't consider myself a fat person, I wouldn't call myself thin. I'm quite average on the weight scale, and honestly, if I gain a few more pounds I will be considered overweight. I guess what I have problems understanding is why is it my friend has such a problem understanding why she is overweight? She just ate twice the amount of food I did... yet she wonders why I am thinner than she is. I just don't get some of the self-denial that we all as Americans can walk around with, especially concerning our health. What annoys me the most about this girl is that her mother is a nurse... you would think her mother would have taught her to practice a healthier lifestyle. Not only do we have bad eating habits, we're passing it along to our children, and setting them up for a lifetime of weight battles.
Sigh. This just reminds me that I need to renew my gym membership.
Did not mean to end on a negative note! It's just something to think about.
Sunday, September 23, 2007
Fat Monday
Not that I'm overly upset about the 87 degree high. Actually, I think overall I'll probably enjoy it. I can't believe that today was the official start of autumn. Autumn is nice enough in it's place, but I always miss summer when it's gone. I also really seem to hate winter more and more with every passing year, so autumn usually just serves to remind me of winter coming. I'm just going to enjoy the nice weather, and try to focus on the autumn things I love, such as Halloween and Thanksgiving.
On a side note, speaking of holidays... I was inspired by Robin's trip to the old fashioned Christmas and possible trip to the old fashioned Halloween. My sister and I discussed the possibility of taking my mom to the old fashioned Christmas, because we're sure she'll love it. As much as our mom drives us nuts, we still like to do the mother-daughter outings, no matter how much we might regret it afterwards.
On one last note, still on the topic of holidays (sort of), my sister told me that the DIA (Detroit Institute of Arts) is going to have its grand reopening the weekend after Thanksgiving. Apparently, they will be open for 36 hours straight, with free admission. My sister has this crazy idea of us going at 3am, the morning following Thanksgiving. She says it will be perfect, because all the soccer moms will be out standing in line at the door of Target, trying to get bargain priced DVD players. Meanwhile, we could have free reign of the museum (in theory.) I told her to remind me sometime close to Thanksgiving, and I'll let her know if I'm up for it.
******
Okay moving on. My friend gave me the link for this: http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2007/fit.nation/obesity.map/ It is an obesity map of the U.S., and it's quite shocking! It really makes you think, what the heck is going on in the world? Okay, yes, restaurants have changed their portions... more and more fast food chains are opening... but seriously. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong on this, but can we really blame restaurants, and food manufacturers for making us fat? Especially now, when so much information can be found on the wrapper of what you eat? It does not take a genius to say "I'm overweight because I consume too many calories."
I think the obesity problem in America is a very complex problem, with many different causes. That being said however, I do wish people would take some more responsibility with their own health. I have an example from last night. I went to see a play with a few friends. After the play, we went out with a group of the actors (music and theatre geeks usually go hand in hand, lol) to have dinner at Applebee's. Many of us ended up ordering this special that Applebee's has going on right now, where you order three of a particular set of "small" appetizers as a meal for $10.99. My meal ended up consisting of two "mini" bacon cheeseburgers (which really, the two mini burgers ended up equaling a decent sized burger), tuscan cheese dip with garlic and rosemary bread, and popcorn shrimp. (Wow, no fiber at all! Wow.) I was only able to finish about 3/4 of the tuscan cheese dip, one mini burger, and about 1/3 of the shrimp, before I was absolutely stuffed. I asked the waitress for a to-go box, and I made a comment to my friend that I easily have enough for another meal.
My friend, on the other hand, had ate pretty much everything on her plate. She made a comment to me that I "eat like a bird" and asked me if I was hungry. A little while later she made a comment about how "thin" I am, and how she just doesn't understand how it can be that I weigh so much less than her, that my "metabolism" must be super fast. Now, as most of my friends know, I love to eat. I love love love food. That being said, while I love food and love to snack, I am very good at eating until I am satisfied, and then stopping. As far as weight goes, while I don't consider myself a fat person, I wouldn't call myself thin. I'm quite average on the weight scale, and honestly, if I gain a few more pounds I will be considered overweight. I guess what I have problems understanding is why is it my friend has such a problem understanding why she is overweight? She just ate twice the amount of food I did... yet she wonders why I am thinner than she is. I just don't get some of the self-denial that we all as Americans can walk around with, especially concerning our health. What annoys me the most about this girl is that her mother is a nurse... you would think her mother would have taught her to practice a healthier lifestyle. Not only do we have bad eating habits, we're passing it along to our children, and setting them up for a lifetime of weight battles.
Sigh. This just reminds me that I need to renew my gym membership.
Did not mean to end on a negative note! It's just something to think about.
2 comments:
- Robin said...
-
Get that Zicam in preparation girly! My sister has been sick twice within the last two weeks. Little germ carrying gremlins! :P
DIA reopening is awesome! I haven't been there in eons. Used to pass it all the time though.
Obesity... what can I say? I'm a blubber butt. LOL! But I totally understand where you're coming from. It's really out of hand and people should take more responsibility for their health.
Children on the other hand, it's a darn shame to see any overweight children! They certainly can't fend for themselves, so that means their parents are fueling the problem. Not only parents, but TV, video games, computers! As a child, I was never ever indoors. I had just as many toys as kids do nowadays but I loved playing outside, running around. *Sigh*
Sorry for my insanely LARGE ramble! :P -
1:22 PM EDT
-
Anonymous said...
-
I get the bird thing too, but I've gained 15lbs in the past three years so, not sure where they get that from. Blah. I know what I did, I started eating more and not eating healthy stuff and working out less.
-
10:53 AM EDT
2 comments:
Get that Zicam in preparation girly! My sister has been sick twice within the last two weeks. Little germ carrying gremlins! :P
DIA reopening is awesome! I haven't been there in eons. Used to pass it all the time though.
Obesity... what can I say? I'm a blubber butt. LOL! But I totally understand where you're coming from. It's really out of hand and people should take more responsibility for their health.
Children on the other hand, it's a darn shame to see any overweight children! They certainly can't fend for themselves, so that means their parents are fueling the problem. Not only parents, but TV, video games, computers! As a child, I was never ever indoors. I had just as many toys as kids do nowadays but I loved playing outside, running around. *Sigh*
Sorry for my insanely LARGE ramble! :P
I get the bird thing too, but I've gained 15lbs in the past three years so, not sure where they get that from. Blah. I know what I did, I started eating more and not eating healthy stuff and working out less.
Post a Comment