Friday, February 15, 2008
Applebottom Jeans and the Boots with the Fur...
My title, besides for referring to that obnoxious song, is in reference to yesterday. I actually had one of the cutest Valentine's Day that I've had in a long time! A few weeks ago I had promised a teacher I would sub for her the afternoon of Valentine's Day while she took some students to the county spelling bee. Her class happens to be first grade, and boy were those kids excited about having a party that afternoon! I am still hanging on to end of this cold, but I was feeling well enough to work. Especially since I had promised this teacher I would sub for her more than two weeks ago, I felt like I couldn't cancel on her.
As soon as I picked up the kids from the lunch room, they were ready to start the Valentine's festivities. I had to make them sit with their heads down because they were insisting on running to their lockers to get their Valentine cards and candy out. I had to make them cool their little jets while we took a spelling test and did some not so silent reading. Finally 2pm rolled around and it was time to get the party started. Their teacher had recruited a few of the parents to come up and help out with the party, so I luckily wasn't left alone with all the hyper little ones. They were going a bit crazy with all that candy and junk food! They went around dropping their little Valentine cards in bags they had decorated the day before, and the cutest thing ever was that they had Valentines for me, too. So I've got a little bagful of Valentine cards, some of which are: That's So Raven card with temporary tattoo, Bratz card also with temporary tattoo, Transformers card, and Care Bears card with a pouchful of gummy candy. So really, who needs a Valentine from a boy when you get fifteen Valentines from six and seven year olds? (I also got a box of candy from my parents, so that was nice!).
The day before Valentine's Day there was a grad school fair at U of M-Flint. I decided to go because I really need to get my butt in gear and decide on a program! U of M may not be the school I decide on, but just talking to advisors about the specifics of certain programs was a good start. I dragged my best friend Bernadette along with me, because I didn't really want to go alone. Plus, she's graduating in the spring, so I thought it might be something she would be interested in. She protested at first, telling me that she wasn't interested in grad school right now and wasn't sure that she would ever be. Being the nice friend that she is, Bernadette agreed to go with me anyhow, even if she wasn't looking for a grad program. Since I had just recently talked to a professor about the Health Education program, I decided to talk to people in Education during the fair. I have to say, it was definitely an interesting night! I talked with a professor and she was mapping out with me on how I could get my masters in Ed and my teaching certificate in two total years. Better yet, if I chose to do K-8 I could have my major in Integrated Sciences and a minor in Fine Arts. It was pretty exciting to have someone tell me that I could do both my science and my art. Wow! I couldn't even hide the grin I had on my face. Could this be the answer I've been looking for? It seems so simple but it is so complicated! I have to think, do I want to spend my life being a teacher? If I go in to Health Education I would have so many more options, but doing a masters in Ed means I'm going to be a teacher, end of story. Oh the decisions! The problem with this decision is that while the applications aren't due until July (although I'd need to get them done in May since camp will leave me no time to get them done), if I'm applying for the MAC program (Ed), they want me to take the Michigan Teacher's Certification Test ahead of time. The deadline to apply for the Michigan Teacher's Certification Test is February 29th. I can late register if I pay a late fee, but still... it's coming up close! Which means I may make a decision about grad school within the next couple of weeks! Woo. Oh, and wouldn't you know that Miss Bernadette is now super excited about the online MBA program? Go figure.
******
In other news, the kiddies are one winter break right now, which means no school today or Monday. So I have a four day weekend in front of me! Today has not turned out to be as productive as I would have liked it to be. I spent half the night coughing my head off, and I really didn't fall asleep until almost 5 am. When I did finally get to sleep, I was waking up again because my throat was irritated and made me feel like I was going to choke. Sleep was not meant for me last night, apparently. I was trying to sleep in a bit but the phone must have rang five or six times between 9 and 11am. It was beyond irritating. I really wanted to go shopping today, but it's already nearing 4 pm and I'm just now eating lunch, and still in my pjs. I want to get a new pair of shoes (I'm thinking a new pair of shell top Adidas with pink stripes perhaps?) and get some new makeup. I might still make it to Target later today, but the mall will have to wait until tomorrow. The reason I really want a new outfit is because my sister and I are going to the Spice Girls concert tomorrow! I am so excited!!! So of course I need to wear something new :) The Spice Girls will be at the Palace of Auburn Hills (the home of the Detroit Pistons, or the best basketball team EVER) tomorrow night, and so will me, my sister, and hopefully David Beckham! ;) Yes, the Spice Girls are nothing more than cheesy, manufactured pop music, but I can't wait for that kind of fun. It is going to take me right back to 9th grade, when I was a little freshman and the Spice Girls came out with "Wannabe." Oh it should be so much fun, and I can not wait!
PS, my title came from that dance movie that is out "Step Up 2." I don't know if it's Step Up 2 the Streets or whatever... but one of the little girls yesterday was excited that her mom was taking her and all the girls in the class to that movie today since they have winter break. Since then I've heard the song that they play for the trailer a million times since then. It seemed only right to give that title to my blog!
Friday, February 15, 2008
Applebottom Jeans and the Boots with the Fur...
My title, besides for referring to that obnoxious song, is in reference to yesterday. I actually had one of the cutest Valentine's Day that I've had in a long time! A few weeks ago I had promised a teacher I would sub for her the afternoon of Valentine's Day while she took some students to the county spelling bee. Her class happens to be first grade, and boy were those kids excited about having a party that afternoon! I am still hanging on to end of this cold, but I was feeling well enough to work. Especially since I had promised this teacher I would sub for her more than two weeks ago, I felt like I couldn't cancel on her.
As soon as I picked up the kids from the lunch room, they were ready to start the Valentine's festivities. I had to make them sit with their heads down because they were insisting on running to their lockers to get their Valentine cards and candy out. I had to make them cool their little jets while we took a spelling test and did some not so silent reading. Finally 2pm rolled around and it was time to get the party started. Their teacher had recruited a few of the parents to come up and help out with the party, so I luckily wasn't left alone with all the hyper little ones. They were going a bit crazy with all that candy and junk food! They went around dropping their little Valentine cards in bags they had decorated the day before, and the cutest thing ever was that they had Valentines for me, too. So I've got a little bagful of Valentine cards, some of which are: That's So Raven card with temporary tattoo, Bratz card also with temporary tattoo, Transformers card, and Care Bears card with a pouchful of gummy candy. So really, who needs a Valentine from a boy when you get fifteen Valentines from six and seven year olds? (I also got a box of candy from my parents, so that was nice!).
The day before Valentine's Day there was a grad school fair at U of M-Flint. I decided to go because I really need to get my butt in gear and decide on a program! U of M may not be the school I decide on, but just talking to advisors about the specifics of certain programs was a good start. I dragged my best friend Bernadette along with me, because I didn't really want to go alone. Plus, she's graduating in the spring, so I thought it might be something she would be interested in. She protested at first, telling me that she wasn't interested in grad school right now and wasn't sure that she would ever be. Being the nice friend that she is, Bernadette agreed to go with me anyhow, even if she wasn't looking for a grad program. Since I had just recently talked to a professor about the Health Education program, I decided to talk to people in Education during the fair. I have to say, it was definitely an interesting night! I talked with a professor and she was mapping out with me on how I could get my masters in Ed and my teaching certificate in two total years. Better yet, if I chose to do K-8 I could have my major in Integrated Sciences and a minor in Fine Arts. It was pretty exciting to have someone tell me that I could do both my science and my art. Wow! I couldn't even hide the grin I had on my face. Could this be the answer I've been looking for? It seems so simple but it is so complicated! I have to think, do I want to spend my life being a teacher? If I go in to Health Education I would have so many more options, but doing a masters in Ed means I'm going to be a teacher, end of story. Oh the decisions! The problem with this decision is that while the applications aren't due until July (although I'd need to get them done in May since camp will leave me no time to get them done), if I'm applying for the MAC program (Ed), they want me to take the Michigan Teacher's Certification Test ahead of time. The deadline to apply for the Michigan Teacher's Certification Test is February 29th. I can late register if I pay a late fee, but still... it's coming up close! Which means I may make a decision about grad school within the next couple of weeks! Woo. Oh, and wouldn't you know that Miss Bernadette is now super excited about the online MBA program? Go figure.
******
In other news, the kiddies are one winter break right now, which means no school today or Monday. So I have a four day weekend in front of me! Today has not turned out to be as productive as I would have liked it to be. I spent half the night coughing my head off, and I really didn't fall asleep until almost 5 am. When I did finally get to sleep, I was waking up again because my throat was irritated and made me feel like I was going to choke. Sleep was not meant for me last night, apparently. I was trying to sleep in a bit but the phone must have rang five or six times between 9 and 11am. It was beyond irritating. I really wanted to go shopping today, but it's already nearing 4 pm and I'm just now eating lunch, and still in my pjs. I want to get a new pair of shoes (I'm thinking a new pair of shell top Adidas with pink stripes perhaps?) and get some new makeup. I might still make it to Target later today, but the mall will have to wait until tomorrow. The reason I really want a new outfit is because my sister and I are going to the Spice Girls concert tomorrow! I am so excited!!! So of course I need to wear something new :) The Spice Girls will be at the Palace of Auburn Hills (the home of the Detroit Pistons, or the best basketball team EVER) tomorrow night, and so will me, my sister, and hopefully David Beckham! ;) Yes, the Spice Girls are nothing more than cheesy, manufactured pop music, but I can't wait for that kind of fun. It is going to take me right back to 9th grade, when I was a little freshman and the Spice Girls came out with "Wannabe." Oh it should be so much fun, and I can not wait!
PS, my title came from that dance movie that is out "Step Up 2." I don't know if it's Step Up 2 the Streets or whatever... but one of the little girls yesterday was excited that her mom was taking her and all the girls in the class to that movie today since they have winter break. Since then I've heard the song that they play for the trailer a million times since then. It seemed only right to give that title to my blog!
3 comments:
- Robin said...
-
Good for you in choosing a grad program. Well, if that is what you end up going with. LOL! My sister is graduating in May with her Educational Leadership Masters Degree, and then the nutter decides she might go on for another EIGHT classes in some special ed thing and then she'll have her PHD. I'm like whatevs! 90% of her life has been spent in school! It personally makes my head hurt. :P
Your Valentine's Day sounded like fun. I miss the days of being a kid and getting to dress up a "mailbox" and then getting all the cards/candy from everyone.
Hope you had fun at the Spice Girls concert too! I take it they sang songs from their last CD? Which I just came across in my desk recently, and should listen to again. Or did they whip out any new songs? I wonder if Vicki B's {as pink is the new blog would say} robot body was charged and ready to go? Heh! -
8:01 AM EST
- Robin said...
-
Oh P.S. David Beckham... YUM!
-
8:02 AM EST
- Kirby said...
-
I hope you had a blast at the concert! I was Spice Girl obsessed back in the day!
That song in your title- "Low" is constantly stuck in my head these days. As much as I hated it at first it has grown on my and I find myself jamming out to it in my car quite often. -
1:06 AM EST
3 comments:
Good for you in choosing a grad program. Well, if that is what you end up going with. LOL! My sister is graduating in May with her Educational Leadership Masters Degree, and then the nutter decides she might go on for another EIGHT classes in some special ed thing and then she'll have her PHD. I'm like whatevs! 90% of her life has been spent in school! It personally makes my head hurt. :P
Your Valentine's Day sounded like fun. I miss the days of being a kid and getting to dress up a "mailbox" and then getting all the cards/candy from everyone.
Hope you had fun at the Spice Girls concert too! I take it they sang songs from their last CD? Which I just came across in my desk recently, and should listen to again. Or did they whip out any new songs? I wonder if Vicki B's {as pink is the new blog would say} robot body was charged and ready to go? Heh!
Oh P.S. David Beckham... YUM!
I hope you had a blast at the concert! I was Spice Girl obsessed back in the day!
That song in your title- "Low" is constantly stuck in my head these days. As much as I hated it at first it has grown on my and I find myself jamming out to it in my car quite often.
Post a Comment