Tuesday, January 10, 2006

So glad not to be 13!

So I finally got a sub job. It wasn't that bad, actually. Now it wasn't exactly fabulous, but for my first time, seeing as none of the kids actually set the place on fire, I think I did okay. I wish there was a way to keep the rowdy kids in their seats and quiet without being a complete crank, but such is life I guess. I subbed for 7th and 8th grade special ed. I really don't particularly care for that age group, so that probably was part of it. I think older high school or younger elementary kids will be easier to handle, or at least keep quiet. But I guess we'll see about that. I hope to get high school next time, but one of the teachers at the middle school has already promised to request me for future jobs. Her class was actually the best class that I was in, so actually I don't think it would be entirely bad to sub for her. There were a few times however, while yelling for quiet (although never really achieving it!) that I had to remind myself that at least I was getting paid nicely for the headache. But the experience over all reminded me that I am so glad not to be 13 anymore! What a horrible ackward, obnoxious age to be! And for my stress over a pimple here or there, thank God I'm not 13 with acne like that!

I remember when I went in for the mandatory drug screen to become a substitute teacher, the doctor there chuckled when he asked what employer I was with. He then asked me what my future plans were, and when I told him I was thinking of going to med school, he replied with "After subbing for a year, I have no doubt you'll run to medicine open heartedly!" I though he was being a bit obnoxious at the time, but I see now he was true! But, all in all it wasn't that horrible, really!

No comments:

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

So glad not to be 13!

So I finally got a sub job. It wasn't that bad, actually. Now it wasn't exactly fabulous, but for my first time, seeing as none of the kids actually set the place on fire, I think I did okay. I wish there was a way to keep the rowdy kids in their seats and quiet without being a complete crank, but such is life I guess. I subbed for 7th and 8th grade special ed. I really don't particularly care for that age group, so that probably was part of it. I think older high school or younger elementary kids will be easier to handle, or at least keep quiet. But I guess we'll see about that. I hope to get high school next time, but one of the teachers at the middle school has already promised to request me for future jobs. Her class was actually the best class that I was in, so actually I don't think it would be entirely bad to sub for her. There were a few times however, while yelling for quiet (although never really achieving it!) that I had to remind myself that at least I was getting paid nicely for the headache. But the experience over all reminded me that I am so glad not to be 13 anymore! What a horrible ackward, obnoxious age to be! And for my stress over a pimple here or there, thank God I'm not 13 with acne like that!

I remember when I went in for the mandatory drug screen to become a substitute teacher, the doctor there chuckled when he asked what employer I was with. He then asked me what my future plans were, and when I told him I was thinking of going to med school, he replied with "After subbing for a year, I have no doubt you'll run to medicine open heartedly!" I though he was being a bit obnoxious at the time, but I see now he was true! But, all in all it wasn't that horrible, really!

No comments: