Friday, January 6, 2006

Flip a coin

So I think I might just flip a coin to figure out whether I want to work at camp or not next summer....
It's actually a hard decision, because I figure if I stick around here and do sub teaching and tutoring, then come summertime I will be without a job. Which means camp would be perfect, and seeing as I'm saving money for grad school, I'll want a summer job.

But then again, I really feel like I've outgrown it. Or at least am outgrowing it. It's been a fun four year run, but I'd like to end it on a positive note, not feel as though I'm completely burnt out from the process. I have so many friends there that I'd like to see here or there, but damn, I can't make decisions in life based apon friends.

So whatever, maybe I'll just flip a coin. Tails I work at camp, Heads I become a summer bum.

Soooo. I have a sub job for Monday. At a so-so school. I still have time to back out of it, so I'm not too scared about it yet. Apparently I will be subbing for the elementary part of the school, and I'd be rotating classrooms about every 30 to 45 minutes as teachers go to meetings in shifts. So even if the kids are bad, will it be that bad? I'll at best have to put up with them for an hour. And more than likely their teachers will have them already going on an assignment, I'll just step in for a few minutes to keep them from setting the room on fire. If I can supervise 72 teenage girls 24 hours a day, all summer long, I should be able to handle this, right? Err. I really wish this wasn't the type of thing you have to jump into blindly. It's like jumping into a lake you can't see the bottom of, hoping there isn't a loch ness monster waiting for you.

Tiffany C's mom is also supposed to get the ball rolling on doing tutoring next week, so with any luck, I'll be further employed. I'm not sure how good of a tutor I'll make, but hey, at least I do know my Biology.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

The way I see tutoring, you first find out what the student knows and then ask if they have any questions, and help them the best you can. Sometimes you have to be creative in an explanation if the student doesn't get what you're saying. I really should tutor for German, but I lack the desire to do so right now.

Robin said...

Speaking of the camp you work at, does it by any chance happen to be Interlochen? My brother in-laws parents live up in Traverse City riiight by there. :D

Friday, January 6, 2006

Flip a coin

So I think I might just flip a coin to figure out whether I want to work at camp or not next summer....
It's actually a hard decision, because I figure if I stick around here and do sub teaching and tutoring, then come summertime I will be without a job. Which means camp would be perfect, and seeing as I'm saving money for grad school, I'll want a summer job.

But then again, I really feel like I've outgrown it. Or at least am outgrowing it. It's been a fun four year run, but I'd like to end it on a positive note, not feel as though I'm completely burnt out from the process. I have so many friends there that I'd like to see here or there, but damn, I can't make decisions in life based apon friends.

So whatever, maybe I'll just flip a coin. Tails I work at camp, Heads I become a summer bum.

Soooo. I have a sub job for Monday. At a so-so school. I still have time to back out of it, so I'm not too scared about it yet. Apparently I will be subbing for the elementary part of the school, and I'd be rotating classrooms about every 30 to 45 minutes as teachers go to meetings in shifts. So even if the kids are bad, will it be that bad? I'll at best have to put up with them for an hour. And more than likely their teachers will have them already going on an assignment, I'll just step in for a few minutes to keep them from setting the room on fire. If I can supervise 72 teenage girls 24 hours a day, all summer long, I should be able to handle this, right? Err. I really wish this wasn't the type of thing you have to jump into blindly. It's like jumping into a lake you can't see the bottom of, hoping there isn't a loch ness monster waiting for you.

Tiffany C's mom is also supposed to get the ball rolling on doing tutoring next week, so with any luck, I'll be further employed. I'm not sure how good of a tutor I'll make, but hey, at least I do know my Biology.

2 comments:

Deanna said...

The way I see tutoring, you first find out what the student knows and then ask if they have any questions, and help them the best you can. Sometimes you have to be creative in an explanation if the student doesn't get what you're saying. I really should tutor for German, but I lack the desire to do so right now.

Robin said...

Speaking of the camp you work at, does it by any chance happen to be Interlochen? My brother in-laws parents live up in Traverse City riiight by there. :D