Wednesday, March 1, 2006
The Evils of Blogging?
I've come to some conclusions.
I feel bad that one person got their feelings hurt over a couple of blog entries. That really does suck. I think one of the blog entries just seemed a bit sour and purposely mean spirited. The other blog entry, however, I think was simply someone frustrated with a situation she had been watching for over a month, that seemingly had no resolution, and needed to vent her frustrations through her blog. So I also feel bad for blogger number 2, because I think even though her words hurt the person who read the blogs, I don't think she meant to cause pain to anyone. So now that all of blogger number 2's seemingly friends are attacking her, I feel equally as bad for her as I do for the person who read the blogs and got their feelings hurt.
But if you don't know what I'm referring to, the above statement probably makes little sense.
I guess I'm thinking like this. I don't think appologies should be made over blog entries. I think blogs are what they are, online journals. We choose to give our friends links because we feel like it's okay to give them a free peak at our deeper thoughts. So in that sense I think maybe when you go about reading a blog, sometimes you might have to be prepared for reading something you're not particularly fond of. I think the moment we purposely set about censoring blogs, then, the whole point of a blog is lost. That's the great thing about the good old USA, supposedly, we have free speech.
I think appologies should be made if you feel like you hurt someone else without intending to do so. That is where I think appologies should come in. Personally, if I've given a friend a link to my blog, I wouldn't go about saying something nasty about them. (Not that I think everyone meant to be nasty, this is all theoretical.). But at the same time, if I wrote something about them, and they read it and got upset over it, I don't think I'd apologize over my entry, I'd be apologizing for hurting them.
Here's my deal. I keep two journals, my blog, that has my inner observations of the day, that I don't mind sharing; and then I keep my Journal, my most innermost thoughts. And yeah, I'll admit it, sometimes I write something quite nasty about someone that I love in my Journal, but you know what, I won't ever apologize for those words. My Journal is my private collection of thoughts, and if you read it and find something bad about yourself in it, then it is your own darn fault for reading it. Because quite frankly, people need places to vent their frustration. Just like I don't love everyone all the time, I'm sure everyone doesn't love me all the time either. If I say something in my Journal about someone, let's saying be a b*tch that day, it doesn't mean thats my true opinion of them. It means that's my opinion of them at the moment, and I should be intitled to my own thoughts.
So yeah, my blog is not censored and never will be. But I do personally choose which thoughts to share. I take full ownership over my thoughts and make no apologies for them. What I will apologize for is the fact that maybe my thoughts were taken more harshly than they were meant.
I'm not even necessarily talking about one situation here. Yes, the drama of the past few days inspired this blog of the moment, but this is a general thing. I've always been proud of the fact that I can say what's on my mind, so I'm not going to stop doing it because sometimes in life that's the unpopular thing to do. I'm just saying, like that old proverb cautions us, choose your moments wisely.
Wednesday, March 1, 2006
The Evils of Blogging?
I've come to some conclusions.
I feel bad that one person got their feelings hurt over a couple of blog entries. That really does suck. I think one of the blog entries just seemed a bit sour and purposely mean spirited. The other blog entry, however, I think was simply someone frustrated with a situation she had been watching for over a month, that seemingly had no resolution, and needed to vent her frustrations through her blog. So I also feel bad for blogger number 2, because I think even though her words hurt the person who read the blogs, I don't think she meant to cause pain to anyone. So now that all of blogger number 2's seemingly friends are attacking her, I feel equally as bad for her as I do for the person who read the blogs and got their feelings hurt.
But if you don't know what I'm referring to, the above statement probably makes little sense.
I guess I'm thinking like this. I don't think appologies should be made over blog entries. I think blogs are what they are, online journals. We choose to give our friends links because we feel like it's okay to give them a free peak at our deeper thoughts. So in that sense I think maybe when you go about reading a blog, sometimes you might have to be prepared for reading something you're not particularly fond of. I think the moment we purposely set about censoring blogs, then, the whole point of a blog is lost. That's the great thing about the good old USA, supposedly, we have free speech.
I think appologies should be made if you feel like you hurt someone else without intending to do so. That is where I think appologies should come in. Personally, if I've given a friend a link to my blog, I wouldn't go about saying something nasty about them. (Not that I think everyone meant to be nasty, this is all theoretical.). But at the same time, if I wrote something about them, and they read it and got upset over it, I don't think I'd apologize over my entry, I'd be apologizing for hurting them.
Here's my deal. I keep two journals, my blog, that has my inner observations of the day, that I don't mind sharing; and then I keep my Journal, my most innermost thoughts. And yeah, I'll admit it, sometimes I write something quite nasty about someone that I love in my Journal, but you know what, I won't ever apologize for those words. My Journal is my private collection of thoughts, and if you read it and find something bad about yourself in it, then it is your own darn fault for reading it. Because quite frankly, people need places to vent their frustration. Just like I don't love everyone all the time, I'm sure everyone doesn't love me all the time either. If I say something in my Journal about someone, let's saying be a b*tch that day, it doesn't mean thats my true opinion of them. It means that's my opinion of them at the moment, and I should be intitled to my own thoughts.
So yeah, my blog is not censored and never will be. But I do personally choose which thoughts to share. I take full ownership over my thoughts and make no apologies for them. What I will apologize for is the fact that maybe my thoughts were taken more harshly than they were meant.
I'm not even necessarily talking about one situation here. Yes, the drama of the past few days inspired this blog of the moment, but this is a general thing. I've always been proud of the fact that I can say what's on my mind, so I'm not going to stop doing it because sometimes in life that's the unpopular thing to do. I'm just saying, like that old proverb cautions us, choose your moments wisely.
3 comments:
- Tamara said...
-
I agree with you. Also, I feel like it's okay to take ownership over what you do post, you know? I feel like some people had agreements full heartedly, and then suddenly backpedalled and were like "Oh, I didn't mean what I said! Please forgive me." Maybe in a rare case that's true, but for the most part, what a load of BS. You know? Seriously. Like I said, I commented on one of the blogs myself. I can't say, oh sorry, I didn't mean what I said. Because that wouldn't be the truth. I did mean what I said, and I still think it. The problem is that I didn't mean it in a mean way, I would never have meant it as a personal attack on someone, and I'm sorry that it was taken that way. But as for my words, no, no apologies for my true, honest thoughts. I'm only sorry that they were taken in the wrong context.
-
6:31 PM EST
- Robin said...
- This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
-
9:25 AM EST
-
Anonymous said...
- This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
-
7:53 PM EST
3 comments:
I agree with you. Also, I feel like it's okay to take ownership over what you do post, you know? I feel like some people had agreements full heartedly, and then suddenly backpedalled and were like "Oh, I didn't mean what I said! Please forgive me." Maybe in a rare case that's true, but for the most part, what a load of BS. You know? Seriously. Like I said, I commented on one of the blogs myself. I can't say, oh sorry, I didn't mean what I said. Because that wouldn't be the truth. I did mean what I said, and I still think it. The problem is that I didn't mean it in a mean way, I would never have meant it as a personal attack on someone, and I'm sorry that it was taken that way. But as for my words, no, no apologies for my true, honest thoughts. I'm only sorry that they were taken in the wrong context.
Post a Comment