Blah.
Thanks to everyone who has been supportive lately, it's nice to know that people care. I'm doing alright, considering. I've been working alot and spending alot of time with my friends, so I've kept myself busy lately. I just am not really in the mood to blog much or to do the whole forumming thing. I don't even think it's related to what's been on my mind lately so much, because I've been bored with forumming and blogging for a while now. And every time I try to sign onto AOL it ends up kicking me off. Ah, such is life. There's always myspace.
I got offered a long term sub position. For the last week, I've been subbing for seventh and eighth grade, in a new class they're calling "intervention math." It's basically for kids who are falling behind in math, and they want to get them caught up before moving into high school. Well, they didn't have a teacher for this class, so they hired on a sub. As far as I knew, I'd be doing this for a week. It wouldn't be that bad, except I really hate my two seventh grade classes. The eighth graders are pretty easy to deal with, but the seventh graders act like they are still in elementary school. I found myself dreading going to work all week because of it. And then, to top it off, I had to cancel on Friday because my mom was feeling ill and wanted me to stay home to help take care of the dogs.
So besides the annoying students in two of the classes, it was also frustrating because there was no lesson plan for this class. For a week they left me with nothing do with these students! It was horrible. One of the math teachers in the school helped me out by making copies of dittos for me to give to the kids for the week. That helped, but still, it was frustrating. When I went up to the school on Friday to drop off the work I had collected from the students, the principal asked me if I would be interested in staying on, until a teacher was hired for the position. I really wasn't sure what to say. On the one hand, a long term sub job would be great, because I'd have a sub job every day and I'd know what to expect. But on the other hand, I already dreaded the job, how much longer could I stand to do this. I politely told the principal that I couldn't be sure because my mom is having health issues, and sometimes I just won't be able to work. Her reply was, "well you're great with the kids, and I'd be willing to let that go...." Well yeah, I wasn't very sure of what to do. But apparently the principal called the school board, because I got a call from the automated system saying that I was assigned this job until the 1st of January. The 1st of January? Seriously. When she said long term, I was thinking until the end of October, not January.
So here it is, almost 9pm, and I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm pretty sure I won't do it, because, yeah, sometimes my mom just needs me at home, and that may be as often as two or three times a week. Totally not feasible. And secondly, I figure, damn it, life is too short to spend time doing something you dread, simply for money. But then there is this very practical side of me that says that it's stupid to turn down a sure thing job, and that of course the kids will respect me more once they find out I am their permanent teacher. Oh geez. Seriously.
Blah.
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sunday, September 24, 2006
Blah
Blah.
Thanks to everyone who has been supportive lately, it's nice to know that people care. I'm doing alright, considering. I've been working alot and spending alot of time with my friends, so I've kept myself busy lately. I just am not really in the mood to blog much or to do the whole forumming thing. I don't even think it's related to what's been on my mind lately so much, because I've been bored with forumming and blogging for a while now. And every time I try to sign onto AOL it ends up kicking me off. Ah, such is life. There's always myspace.
I got offered a long term sub position. For the last week, I've been subbing for seventh and eighth grade, in a new class they're calling "intervention math." It's basically for kids who are falling behind in math, and they want to get them caught up before moving into high school. Well, they didn't have a teacher for this class, so they hired on a sub. As far as I knew, I'd be doing this for a week. It wouldn't be that bad, except I really hate my two seventh grade classes. The eighth graders are pretty easy to deal with, but the seventh graders act like they are still in elementary school. I found myself dreading going to work all week because of it. And then, to top it off, I had to cancel on Friday because my mom was feeling ill and wanted me to stay home to help take care of the dogs.
So besides the annoying students in two of the classes, it was also frustrating because there was no lesson plan for this class. For a week they left me with nothing do with these students! It was horrible. One of the math teachers in the school helped me out by making copies of dittos for me to give to the kids for the week. That helped, but still, it was frustrating. When I went up to the school on Friday to drop off the work I had collected from the students, the principal asked me if I would be interested in staying on, until a teacher was hired for the position. I really wasn't sure what to say. On the one hand, a long term sub job would be great, because I'd have a sub job every day and I'd know what to expect. But on the other hand, I already dreaded the job, how much longer could I stand to do this. I politely told the principal that I couldn't be sure because my mom is having health issues, and sometimes I just won't be able to work. Her reply was, "well you're great with the kids, and I'd be willing to let that go...." Well yeah, I wasn't very sure of what to do. But apparently the principal called the school board, because I got a call from the automated system saying that I was assigned this job until the 1st of January. The 1st of January? Seriously. When she said long term, I was thinking until the end of October, not January.
So here it is, almost 9pm, and I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm pretty sure I won't do it, because, yeah, sometimes my mom just needs me at home, and that may be as often as two or three times a week. Totally not feasible. And secondly, I figure, damn it, life is too short to spend time doing something you dread, simply for money. But then there is this very practical side of me that says that it's stupid to turn down a sure thing job, and that of course the kids will respect me more once they find out I am their permanent teacher. Oh geez. Seriously.
Blah.
Thanks to everyone who has been supportive lately, it's nice to know that people care. I'm doing alright, considering. I've been working alot and spending alot of time with my friends, so I've kept myself busy lately. I just am not really in the mood to blog much or to do the whole forumming thing. I don't even think it's related to what's been on my mind lately so much, because I've been bored with forumming and blogging for a while now. And every time I try to sign onto AOL it ends up kicking me off. Ah, such is life. There's always myspace.
I got offered a long term sub position. For the last week, I've been subbing for seventh and eighth grade, in a new class they're calling "intervention math." It's basically for kids who are falling behind in math, and they want to get them caught up before moving into high school. Well, they didn't have a teacher for this class, so they hired on a sub. As far as I knew, I'd be doing this for a week. It wouldn't be that bad, except I really hate my two seventh grade classes. The eighth graders are pretty easy to deal with, but the seventh graders act like they are still in elementary school. I found myself dreading going to work all week because of it. And then, to top it off, I had to cancel on Friday because my mom was feeling ill and wanted me to stay home to help take care of the dogs.
So besides the annoying students in two of the classes, it was also frustrating because there was no lesson plan for this class. For a week they left me with nothing do with these students! It was horrible. One of the math teachers in the school helped me out by making copies of dittos for me to give to the kids for the week. That helped, but still, it was frustrating. When I went up to the school on Friday to drop off the work I had collected from the students, the principal asked me if I would be interested in staying on, until a teacher was hired for the position. I really wasn't sure what to say. On the one hand, a long term sub job would be great, because I'd have a sub job every day and I'd know what to expect. But on the other hand, I already dreaded the job, how much longer could I stand to do this. I politely told the principal that I couldn't be sure because my mom is having health issues, and sometimes I just won't be able to work. Her reply was, "well you're great with the kids, and I'd be willing to let that go...." Well yeah, I wasn't very sure of what to do. But apparently the principal called the school board, because I got a call from the automated system saying that I was assigned this job until the 1st of January. The 1st of January? Seriously. When she said long term, I was thinking until the end of October, not January.
So here it is, almost 9pm, and I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm pretty sure I won't do it, because, yeah, sometimes my mom just needs me at home, and that may be as often as two or three times a week. Totally not feasible. And secondly, I figure, damn it, life is too short to spend time doing something you dread, simply for money. But then there is this very practical side of me that says that it's stupid to turn down a sure thing job, and that of course the kids will respect me more once they find out I am their permanent teacher. Oh geez. Seriously.
Blah.
2 comments:
- Deanna said...
-
My suggestion is to do what you feel comfortable with. If you don't feel you could do with a long term assignment then it's only right to cut ties with the students now rather than in January. Good luck!
-
10:58 AM EDT
- Robin said...
-
I'm with Dee. =)
-
3:30 PM EDT
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My suggestion is to do what you feel comfortable with. If you don't feel you could do with a long term assignment then it's only right to cut ties with the students now rather than in January. Good luck!
I'm with Dee. =)
Post a Comment