Well, my grandfather's funeral is over. Which is a complete relief. Not to sound cold in saying that, but it has been such an emotionally draining week, it's nice to finally put some closure on it. My family has pulled together through all of this, which is the first time in ages that they've done that! It's a shame that it takes the death of a family member for everyone to come together. Although, it hasn't exactly been the most peaceful time...pulled together or not! My mom and her siblings have still found plenty of time to bicker with each other. One valuable lesson I've learned from this is that I'm very thankful for my sister... because I know that even though we might have little spats here and there, we'd never ever dream of treating each other the way my mom and her siblings treat each other.
Yesterday I sang at my grandfather's funeral, with my younger cousin. Which was a strange experience. For one thing, it was kind of put on me to do last minute. And I was also felt a bit slighted... which probably doesn't make sense without explanation. Well... my gramma originally wanted my other cousin to sing a hymn. She told my gramma she didn't think that she could do it, which is fine. The thing that bothers me though, is that my cousin isn't exactly a musician. Yeah every now and then she likes to get up and sing a little pop ballad, but it's never been something she does seriously. Here I am, and my younger cousin, he and I being the actual musicians of the family, the two who take their singing very seriously... and the family takes so little interest in it that my mom had to remind my gramma that "Hey, Tamara and Brian sing. Why don't they sing?"
Not that I'm upset with my gramma for not thinking of me or Brian first, especially in her time of grief, but it's just kind of typical of our family to completely look past things that me or some of my other cousins have been doing for years. I think me or my sister or some of my cousins like Mark and Brian could win an Olympic gold medal in track and field, and everyone in the family would be like "What? Oh yeah, I forgot, they like to do that running thing." Frustrating, but it has taught me to not be concerned with what anyone in my extended family thinks of me. Sometimes, most times in life, you gotta just do your own thing.
The bickering has continued, and in my mom's typical fashion, has been extended to other family members. While I was practicing with my cousin Brian, he started asking me about the chorus I sing with. I told him about how we are always looking for new members, and the conductor loves it when high school kids audition. He loves to work with younger students, in hopes of encouraging them to pursue a future in music. My cousin Brian is 16 years old, and absolutely loves performing in choir. He was so excited about the possibility of joining the choir, but the only problem was that he knew with his parents and his older brother working, there would be no one to give him a ride to rehearsal. Well, I'm his older cousin, and he totally looks up to me, so it seemed like a no brainer to offer to come pick him up. I mean, rehearsal is one day a week, and he lives not even 10 minutes away. Why not? Well, last night my aunt came to me and mentioned that Brian was so excited to get to sing with me, and she asked me to please not forget about it when rehearsal starts back up in a couple of weeks, because Brian would be so disappointed. I definitely had no intentions to forget about it, and I promised her that I would not forget about him. My mom overheard this, and of course she put on her happy act, but I knew that wouldn't last very long. This morning, she woke up bitching, for lack of a better word, to me about how my aunt was taking advantage of me, and how it's not my job to pick up my cousin, and how she thinks I should just call her up and tell her I won't be able to pick up Brian. What is it with our family?? Seriously, this isn't about my aunt, or my mother. I am simply trying to do something nice for my cousin who looks up to me. What is so wrong about that?
Ah my family. Can't live with them...seriously contemplating living without them.
******
Randomly, to end this blog, apparently Britney Spears decided to shave her head sometime within the past few days. Um, yeah, that girl, needs some help, ASAP.
Saturday, February 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Saturday, February 17, 2007
And the bickering goes on
Well, my grandfather's funeral is over. Which is a complete relief. Not to sound cold in saying that, but it has been such an emotionally draining week, it's nice to finally put some closure on it. My family has pulled together through all of this, which is the first time in ages that they've done that! It's a shame that it takes the death of a family member for everyone to come together. Although, it hasn't exactly been the most peaceful time...pulled together or not! My mom and her siblings have still found plenty of time to bicker with each other. One valuable lesson I've learned from this is that I'm very thankful for my sister... because I know that even though we might have little spats here and there, we'd never ever dream of treating each other the way my mom and her siblings treat each other.
Yesterday I sang at my grandfather's funeral, with my younger cousin. Which was a strange experience. For one thing, it was kind of put on me to do last minute. And I was also felt a bit slighted... which probably doesn't make sense without explanation. Well... my gramma originally wanted my other cousin to sing a hymn. She told my gramma she didn't think that she could do it, which is fine. The thing that bothers me though, is that my cousin isn't exactly a musician. Yeah every now and then she likes to get up and sing a little pop ballad, but it's never been something she does seriously. Here I am, and my younger cousin, he and I being the actual musicians of the family, the two who take their singing very seriously... and the family takes so little interest in it that my mom had to remind my gramma that "Hey, Tamara and Brian sing. Why don't they sing?"
Not that I'm upset with my gramma for not thinking of me or Brian first, especially in her time of grief, but it's just kind of typical of our family to completely look past things that me or some of my other cousins have been doing for years. I think me or my sister or some of my cousins like Mark and Brian could win an Olympic gold medal in track and field, and everyone in the family would be like "What? Oh yeah, I forgot, they like to do that running thing." Frustrating, but it has taught me to not be concerned with what anyone in my extended family thinks of me. Sometimes, most times in life, you gotta just do your own thing.
The bickering has continued, and in my mom's typical fashion, has been extended to other family members. While I was practicing with my cousin Brian, he started asking me about the chorus I sing with. I told him about how we are always looking for new members, and the conductor loves it when high school kids audition. He loves to work with younger students, in hopes of encouraging them to pursue a future in music. My cousin Brian is 16 years old, and absolutely loves performing in choir. He was so excited about the possibility of joining the choir, but the only problem was that he knew with his parents and his older brother working, there would be no one to give him a ride to rehearsal. Well, I'm his older cousin, and he totally looks up to me, so it seemed like a no brainer to offer to come pick him up. I mean, rehearsal is one day a week, and he lives not even 10 minutes away. Why not? Well, last night my aunt came to me and mentioned that Brian was so excited to get to sing with me, and she asked me to please not forget about it when rehearsal starts back up in a couple of weeks, because Brian would be so disappointed. I definitely had no intentions to forget about it, and I promised her that I would not forget about him. My mom overheard this, and of course she put on her happy act, but I knew that wouldn't last very long. This morning, she woke up bitching, for lack of a better word, to me about how my aunt was taking advantage of me, and how it's not my job to pick up my cousin, and how she thinks I should just call her up and tell her I won't be able to pick up Brian. What is it with our family?? Seriously, this isn't about my aunt, or my mother. I am simply trying to do something nice for my cousin who looks up to me. What is so wrong about that?
Ah my family. Can't live with them...seriously contemplating living without them.
******
Randomly, to end this blog, apparently Britney Spears decided to shave her head sometime within the past few days. Um, yeah, that girl, needs some help, ASAP.
Yesterday I sang at my grandfather's funeral, with my younger cousin. Which was a strange experience. For one thing, it was kind of put on me to do last minute. And I was also felt a bit slighted... which probably doesn't make sense without explanation. Well... my gramma originally wanted my other cousin to sing a hymn. She told my gramma she didn't think that she could do it, which is fine. The thing that bothers me though, is that my cousin isn't exactly a musician. Yeah every now and then she likes to get up and sing a little pop ballad, but it's never been something she does seriously. Here I am, and my younger cousin, he and I being the actual musicians of the family, the two who take their singing very seriously... and the family takes so little interest in it that my mom had to remind my gramma that "Hey, Tamara and Brian sing. Why don't they sing?"
Not that I'm upset with my gramma for not thinking of me or Brian first, especially in her time of grief, but it's just kind of typical of our family to completely look past things that me or some of my other cousins have been doing for years. I think me or my sister or some of my cousins like Mark and Brian could win an Olympic gold medal in track and field, and everyone in the family would be like "What? Oh yeah, I forgot, they like to do that running thing." Frustrating, but it has taught me to not be concerned with what anyone in my extended family thinks of me. Sometimes, most times in life, you gotta just do your own thing.
The bickering has continued, and in my mom's typical fashion, has been extended to other family members. While I was practicing with my cousin Brian, he started asking me about the chorus I sing with. I told him about how we are always looking for new members, and the conductor loves it when high school kids audition. He loves to work with younger students, in hopes of encouraging them to pursue a future in music. My cousin Brian is 16 years old, and absolutely loves performing in choir. He was so excited about the possibility of joining the choir, but the only problem was that he knew with his parents and his older brother working, there would be no one to give him a ride to rehearsal. Well, I'm his older cousin, and he totally looks up to me, so it seemed like a no brainer to offer to come pick him up. I mean, rehearsal is one day a week, and he lives not even 10 minutes away. Why not? Well, last night my aunt came to me and mentioned that Brian was so excited to get to sing with me, and she asked me to please not forget about it when rehearsal starts back up in a couple of weeks, because Brian would be so disappointed. I definitely had no intentions to forget about it, and I promised her that I would not forget about him. My mom overheard this, and of course she put on her happy act, but I knew that wouldn't last very long. This morning, she woke up bitching, for lack of a better word, to me about how my aunt was taking advantage of me, and how it's not my job to pick up my cousin, and how she thinks I should just call her up and tell her I won't be able to pick up Brian. What is it with our family?? Seriously, this isn't about my aunt, or my mother. I am simply trying to do something nice for my cousin who looks up to me. What is so wrong about that?
Ah my family. Can't live with them...seriously contemplating living without them.
******
Randomly, to end this blog, apparently Britney Spears decided to shave her head sometime within the past few days. Um, yeah, that girl, needs some help, ASAP.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
:hugs:
Post a Comment