Oh, lots of things have occurred within the last few days! I don't exactly know where to start with this blog. You know, I wish I was better at compartmentalizing my thoughts, but seeing as this isn't a term paper, random seems to be the way to go. I guess I should just dive on in to my thoughts!
First off, I need to say that I am really tired of hearing about Heath Ledger. Please don't read that as being insensitive! I was very shocked when I heard the news, and my heart goes out to his family and little daughter that he left behind. I'm sure in years to come I'll remember on my birthday that it was the day Heath Ledger died. What I am completely sickened by is how the media has just run away with the story, trying to make it something sensational when they have to admit themselves that as of this moment in time, autopsy results were inconclusive. Instead of just leaving matters alone, they keep going on and on with random theories. "Maybe it was a drug overdose", or "Maybe it was suicide", or "Maybe it was accidental." I wish they could just respect the fact that this man was very young, and is leaving behind a lot of grieving family. It's just so sad, and so disgusting how the media runs with the next "big" story, regardless of whom it may hurt in the process.
I'm stepping down from the soapbox now. In other news, my sister Tiffany has come down with the flu. She finally saw a doctor today because her throat was bothering her so much that she was basically in tears. The doc described her as having a "severe case of the flu." She was very upset that he didn't give her antibiotics, but I was trying to explain to her that antibiotics don't fight viruses... but it wasn't what she wanted to hear today. She came down with symptoms on Monday morning, which means she was probably contagious on Saturday night at my birthday party. As bad as I feel for her, I'm really glad I decided to get a flu shot this year. The poor thing has been calling me and my mother constantly today, whimpering about how horrible she feels. Apparently she is calling us after she periodically drives her husband nuts. She's usually not one to complain about being sick, so I know she must feel incredibly bad to call us crying over it. I hope she starts to feel better soon!
On one of my other blogs, Kim had asked me about the camp I work at. So I'm going to give a quick explanation (everyone else can just skip ahead, lol I know you are tired of reading about it. But to warn you, there is a story about it coming up!) I work at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp during the summer. It is, obviously, a fine arts camp. It boasts to be the largest summer camp in the US, and therefore the world, since summer camps aren't really a big thing in other parts of the world. I wish my summer job included me doing things like canoeing and painting pottery, but of course I couldn't pick a great job like that! No, I work at a camp which is a beast... a well oiled beast, but a beast none the less. It's been the source of many parodies, such as in the movies American Pie and Wet Hot American Summer. (Lawsuits, to my knowledge, still pending.)
And actually, I think I'm going to blog about that tomorrow or Saturday. The story I would like to tell you guys would be too much for this blog tonight. It's actually a bit painful for me to write it all out, because it includes a bit of a crying-fest/tantrum/pity/embarrassment moment on my part. Yes, apparently on my free time I have nothing better to do than have such a fit of anxiety/rage/heartbreak that it makes the assistant camp director take time out of their free time to give me a phone call/pep talk. Yup. It was a crazy moment, and I'll blog about it some other time. :)
To finish up this blog, I've decided lately that I wanted to sign up for a new school district to work for. I pretty much hate the city district I work for now. I hate how they over hired subs, layoff teachers, distribute money to schools within the district, etc. I literally have to call the Subfinder phone line ten times or more in a day just to land one job. It's a pain in the ass, royally. So finally it occurred to me to just go ahead and sign up with another district. When I was looking in to this, I learned that multiple districts in the county were going with a new system, through a private company. Basically, instead of being an employee for the district, I will be an employee for this company, who basically is contracting subs out. Through this one system, I can either call in, or go online (I'm being a big geek who is excited about going online) to access all the sub jobs from multiple school districts, and pick my job. How cool is that?
I will now be able to work in multiple districts without having to go through multiple orientations and requirements. The best part is that the company is offering us decently priced (good) health insurance, and a 401k plan. I'm a little confused on how exactly a 401k works, but I plan to spend the weekend researching my options. I had to sit through the world's most boring 2 hour orientation today, but now it seems to be a go. The bad part is that these school districts aren't officially changing over to the new program until March 3rd, so until stuck with the current district. I'm just hoping that this works out to be a good program! I'm excited at the idea of a bit of change.
Tomorrow, I'll blog about the freak show that I turned out to be the other day.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Hopefully not too jumbled...
Oh, lots of things have occurred within the last few days! I don't exactly know where to start with this blog. You know, I wish I was better at compartmentalizing my thoughts, but seeing as this isn't a term paper, random seems to be the way to go. I guess I should just dive on in to my thoughts!
First off, I need to say that I am really tired of hearing about Heath Ledger. Please don't read that as being insensitive! I was very shocked when I heard the news, and my heart goes out to his family and little daughter that he left behind. I'm sure in years to come I'll remember on my birthday that it was the day Heath Ledger died. What I am completely sickened by is how the media has just run away with the story, trying to make it something sensational when they have to admit themselves that as of this moment in time, autopsy results were inconclusive. Instead of just leaving matters alone, they keep going on and on with random theories. "Maybe it was a drug overdose", or "Maybe it was suicide", or "Maybe it was accidental." I wish they could just respect the fact that this man was very young, and is leaving behind a lot of grieving family. It's just so sad, and so disgusting how the media runs with the next "big" story, regardless of whom it may hurt in the process.
I'm stepping down from the soapbox now. In other news, my sister Tiffany has come down with the flu. She finally saw a doctor today because her throat was bothering her so much that she was basically in tears. The doc described her as having a "severe case of the flu." She was very upset that he didn't give her antibiotics, but I was trying to explain to her that antibiotics don't fight viruses... but it wasn't what she wanted to hear today. She came down with symptoms on Monday morning, which means she was probably contagious on Saturday night at my birthday party. As bad as I feel for her, I'm really glad I decided to get a flu shot this year. The poor thing has been calling me and my mother constantly today, whimpering about how horrible she feels. Apparently she is calling us after she periodically drives her husband nuts. She's usually not one to complain about being sick, so I know she must feel incredibly bad to call us crying over it. I hope she starts to feel better soon!
On one of my other blogs, Kim had asked me about the camp I work at. So I'm going to give a quick explanation (everyone else can just skip ahead, lol I know you are tired of reading about it. But to warn you, there is a story about it coming up!) I work at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp during the summer. It is, obviously, a fine arts camp. It boasts to be the largest summer camp in the US, and therefore the world, since summer camps aren't really a big thing in other parts of the world. I wish my summer job included me doing things like canoeing and painting pottery, but of course I couldn't pick a great job like that! No, I work at a camp which is a beast... a well oiled beast, but a beast none the less. It's been the source of many parodies, such as in the movies American Pie and Wet Hot American Summer. (Lawsuits, to my knowledge, still pending.)
And actually, I think I'm going to blog about that tomorrow or Saturday. The story I would like to tell you guys would be too much for this blog tonight. It's actually a bit painful for me to write it all out, because it includes a bit of a crying-fest/tantrum/pity/embarrassment moment on my part. Yes, apparently on my free time I have nothing better to do than have such a fit of anxiety/rage/heartbreak that it makes the assistant camp director take time out of their free time to give me a phone call/pep talk. Yup. It was a crazy moment, and I'll blog about it some other time. :)
To finish up this blog, I've decided lately that I wanted to sign up for a new school district to work for. I pretty much hate the city district I work for now. I hate how they over hired subs, layoff teachers, distribute money to schools within the district, etc. I literally have to call the Subfinder phone line ten times or more in a day just to land one job. It's a pain in the ass, royally. So finally it occurred to me to just go ahead and sign up with another district. When I was looking in to this, I learned that multiple districts in the county were going with a new system, through a private company. Basically, instead of being an employee for the district, I will be an employee for this company, who basically is contracting subs out. Through this one system, I can either call in, or go online (I'm being a big geek who is excited about going online) to access all the sub jobs from multiple school districts, and pick my job. How cool is that?
I will now be able to work in multiple districts without having to go through multiple orientations and requirements. The best part is that the company is offering us decently priced (good) health insurance, and a 401k plan. I'm a little confused on how exactly a 401k works, but I plan to spend the weekend researching my options. I had to sit through the world's most boring 2 hour orientation today, but now it seems to be a go. The bad part is that these school districts aren't officially changing over to the new program until March 3rd, so until stuck with the current district. I'm just hoping that this works out to be a good program! I'm excited at the idea of a bit of change.
Tomorrow, I'll blog about the freak show that I turned out to be the other day.
First off, I need to say that I am really tired of hearing about Heath Ledger. Please don't read that as being insensitive! I was very shocked when I heard the news, and my heart goes out to his family and little daughter that he left behind. I'm sure in years to come I'll remember on my birthday that it was the day Heath Ledger died. What I am completely sickened by is how the media has just run away with the story, trying to make it something sensational when they have to admit themselves that as of this moment in time, autopsy results were inconclusive. Instead of just leaving matters alone, they keep going on and on with random theories. "Maybe it was a drug overdose", or "Maybe it was suicide", or "Maybe it was accidental." I wish they could just respect the fact that this man was very young, and is leaving behind a lot of grieving family. It's just so sad, and so disgusting how the media runs with the next "big" story, regardless of whom it may hurt in the process.
I'm stepping down from the soapbox now. In other news, my sister Tiffany has come down with the flu. She finally saw a doctor today because her throat was bothering her so much that she was basically in tears. The doc described her as having a "severe case of the flu." She was very upset that he didn't give her antibiotics, but I was trying to explain to her that antibiotics don't fight viruses... but it wasn't what she wanted to hear today. She came down with symptoms on Monday morning, which means she was probably contagious on Saturday night at my birthday party. As bad as I feel for her, I'm really glad I decided to get a flu shot this year. The poor thing has been calling me and my mother constantly today, whimpering about how horrible she feels. Apparently she is calling us after she periodically drives her husband nuts. She's usually not one to complain about being sick, so I know she must feel incredibly bad to call us crying over it. I hope she starts to feel better soon!
On one of my other blogs, Kim had asked me about the camp I work at. So I'm going to give a quick explanation (everyone else can just skip ahead, lol I know you are tired of reading about it. But to warn you, there is a story about it coming up!) I work at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp during the summer. It is, obviously, a fine arts camp. It boasts to be the largest summer camp in the US, and therefore the world, since summer camps aren't really a big thing in other parts of the world. I wish my summer job included me doing things like canoeing and painting pottery, but of course I couldn't pick a great job like that! No, I work at a camp which is a beast... a well oiled beast, but a beast none the less. It's been the source of many parodies, such as in the movies American Pie and Wet Hot American Summer. (Lawsuits, to my knowledge, still pending.)
And actually, I think I'm going to blog about that tomorrow or Saturday. The story I would like to tell you guys would be too much for this blog tonight. It's actually a bit painful for me to write it all out, because it includes a bit of a crying-fest/tantrum/pity/embarrassment moment on my part. Yes, apparently on my free time I have nothing better to do than have such a fit of anxiety/rage/heartbreak that it makes the assistant camp director take time out of their free time to give me a phone call/pep talk. Yup. It was a crazy moment, and I'll blog about it some other time. :)
To finish up this blog, I've decided lately that I wanted to sign up for a new school district to work for. I pretty much hate the city district I work for now. I hate how they over hired subs, layoff teachers, distribute money to schools within the district, etc. I literally have to call the Subfinder phone line ten times or more in a day just to land one job. It's a pain in the ass, royally. So finally it occurred to me to just go ahead and sign up with another district. When I was looking in to this, I learned that multiple districts in the county were going with a new system, through a private company. Basically, instead of being an employee for the district, I will be an employee for this company, who basically is contracting subs out. Through this one system, I can either call in, or go online (I'm being a big geek who is excited about going online) to access all the sub jobs from multiple school districts, and pick my job. How cool is that?
I will now be able to work in multiple districts without having to go through multiple orientations and requirements. The best part is that the company is offering us decently priced (good) health insurance, and a 401k plan. I'm a little confused on how exactly a 401k works, but I plan to spend the weekend researching my options. I had to sit through the world's most boring 2 hour orientation today, but now it seems to be a go. The bad part is that these school districts aren't officially changing over to the new program until March 3rd, so until stuck with the current district. I'm just hoping that this works out to be a good program! I'm excited at the idea of a bit of change.
Tomorrow, I'll blog about the freak show that I turned out to be the other day.
1 comment:
- Robin said...
-
I totally agree with the Heath Ledger thing. Entertainment Tonight is the WORST! Well, TMZ is bad too... I just remember the whole Anna Nicole stuff, and they literally talked about her all of 2007. I can see that's how 2008 will play out with this.
That's awesome about the subbing thing by the way! Darn I wish I had enough college credits!! I know I'd make more subbing than I would at a regular job. :P -
11:46 PM EST
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I totally agree with the Heath Ledger thing. Entertainment Tonight is the WORST! Well, TMZ is bad too... I just remember the whole Anna Nicole stuff, and they literally talked about her all of 2007. I can see that's how 2008 will play out with this.
That's awesome about the subbing thing by the way! Darn I wish I had enough college credits!! I know I'd make more subbing than I would at a regular job. :P
Post a Comment