Happy Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, Super Tuesday, etc!!! I personally haven't really done anything different for the day. I already voted in Michigan's primary election, so super Tuesday is null and void here. I guess maybe if I were Catholic and therefore taking part in Lent I might be doing the whole Fat Tuesday thing, but since I'm a good old Baptist... we don't really do the whole Lent thing. So I was a good girl today! I went to the gym, I had a salad for lunch, and I stayed far, far away from paczkis today! Oh, they are soooo good, but soooo bad! (I'm also really glad that Krispy Kreme happens to be on the other side of town, because otherwise I'd be hitting that up.)
I was so tired yesterday! For work, I subbed for a first grade class I've had before. I took their class, along with the other first grade teacher and her class on a field trip to see a traveling show of Charlotte's Web. I was very surprised that the kids were all very attentive throughout the whole play, and were actually a pretty well behaved bunch! Oh of course they were six and seven year olds, so some things were to be expected. Such as a little boy (I'm positive he was biracial, since lol one talent a biracial kid has is being able to point another biracial person out of a crowd) who stood up and shouted "Look at all the white people here!" (I was so embarrassed, and couldn't figure out why, he being half white, was so shocked by other white people.) I explained to him how upset he'd be if people stood up and pointed and shouted at him. He actually seemed to fully understand my point, because he sheepishly said "sorry!" and sat down quietly. Then there was another little boy who suddenly decided he "couldn't" walk, and literally made me drag him all the way to the school bus (I could have killed that kid!). And to finish it all off, as we were getting off the bus, another kid accidentally bumped a little girl in the face, causing her loose tooth to fall out, with blood gushing everywhere.
All in a day's work.
So needless to say I was exhausted when I finally got home. It also didn't help that I tossed and turned the previous night, and probably only managed at best five hours of sleep. Five hours of sleep usually doesn't do well with a roomful of first graders. When I got home I tried and tried to nap, but sadly I couldn't get a wink of sleep. I had some dinner and then went to my three hour choir rehearsal. Actually, it wasn't that miserable! Since I was so tired I thought it'd feel like torture, but actually it was quite calming and helped to wake me up a little bit. I think it was really encouraging to hear the tenors and basses getting their parts right for once. There are still some kinks, but overall it seems like we shouldn't be utterly embarassed for our performance on Friday night. I hope not! Seeing as we're charging $15 per ticket, I hope we can put on a decent show. (In case anyone was curious, we're performing Schubert's Mass in G, and a Britten cantata St. Nicholas.)
It felt so good to get a decent night's sleep for once! I slept for nine hours last night, and it was much needed since I've been so sleep deprived lately. I woke up with a headache which did concern me a bit. It wasn't a major headache, but I just wasn't sure if it was from being a bit groggy, or the weather, or possibly catching some cold virus from the kids on Monday. They were all sneezing and coughing, and I washed my hands as much as possible, but one of the kids definitely coughed on me. I've got Zicam on reserve in case any other symptoms start rearing their ugly heads! I've been so lucky this school year to not catch a thing from the kids, which is a huge accomplishment! Last year I can say I was sick no less than 12 times! I know for a fact I was sick more than 12 times, but after the 12th cold-like infection, I stopped counting.
The most important part of the day was that I met with a professor about Michigan's Health Education Master's program. It was a big step for me to actually make it a point to meet with a professor and ask them questions about a potential grad program! The professor I met with was very nice and helpful, and she also introduced me to a current student in the program. The student was also in turn very nice and helpful. They were both ready to welcome me on in to the program! It is very exciting to know I have options, but I have to say, I am no closer to making a decision. The opportunity is great, but something inside of me isn't jumping up and down yet. I'll be going to a grad school fair on Wednesday, and I hope to talk with a professor in Education to discuss persuing Special Education. I'm keeping my options open, and looking in to anything that might interest me and make me happy. Hopefully by the middle of March I'll be ready to send out applications. This is all so exciting, but also scary!!! Even though it's scary, I know it's time for the change.
I know it's pretty bad for me to be drinking a Coke this late at night (I think I'm breaking a resolution), but I know I won't have any problems falling asleep tonight. My stress levels finally seem to be at a manageable level again, thankfully! I also had a phone conference with my boss Jenn... about a bit of everything. I think that also helped my stress. Besides for talking over coworker J, (we decided to agree on some areas and agree to disagree on other areas), we have also already started making plans for the summer, if that isn't crazy enough! You'd think it would add to my stress, but it has actually calmed my nerves. Knock on wood, but the eyelid twitch I've had for about three weeks now finally seems to be going away. I did stop taking my multivitamin in concern that it might be caused from too much B6, but I am starting to think it is a stress tick. Seeing as the last time I got a twitch in my eye was shortly after finding out my sister had MS (that eye twitch went on for about three months without stop), I'm really starting to think it is most definitely a stress twitch. As if I'm not neurotic enough, it seems I've developed a stress twitch! LOL It could be worse, like a random leg twitch that caused me to randomly kick innocent people standing by.
(P.S. It seems as though the Blogger spellcheck isn't working [thanks Robin for the heads up] so I'm sorry for any glaring spelling errors.)
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Fat Tuesday
Happy Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, Super Tuesday, etc!!! I personally haven't really done anything different for the day. I already voted in Michigan's primary election, so super Tuesday is null and void here. I guess maybe if I were Catholic and therefore taking part in Lent I might be doing the whole Fat Tuesday thing, but since I'm a good old Baptist... we don't really do the whole Lent thing. So I was a good girl today! I went to the gym, I had a salad for lunch, and I stayed far, far away from paczkis today! Oh, they are soooo good, but soooo bad! (I'm also really glad that Krispy Kreme happens to be on the other side of town, because otherwise I'd be hitting that up.)
I was so tired yesterday! For work, I subbed for a first grade class I've had before. I took their class, along with the other first grade teacher and her class on a field trip to see a traveling show of Charlotte's Web. I was very surprised that the kids were all very attentive throughout the whole play, and were actually a pretty well behaved bunch! Oh of course they were six and seven year olds, so some things were to be expected. Such as a little boy (I'm positive he was biracial, since lol one talent a biracial kid has is being able to point another biracial person out of a crowd) who stood up and shouted "Look at all the white people here!" (I was so embarrassed, and couldn't figure out why, he being half white, was so shocked by other white people.) I explained to him how upset he'd be if people stood up and pointed and shouted at him. He actually seemed to fully understand my point, because he sheepishly said "sorry!" and sat down quietly. Then there was another little boy who suddenly decided he "couldn't" walk, and literally made me drag him all the way to the school bus (I could have killed that kid!). And to finish it all off, as we were getting off the bus, another kid accidentally bumped a little girl in the face, causing her loose tooth to fall out, with blood gushing everywhere.
All in a day's work.
So needless to say I was exhausted when I finally got home. It also didn't help that I tossed and turned the previous night, and probably only managed at best five hours of sleep. Five hours of sleep usually doesn't do well with a roomful of first graders. When I got home I tried and tried to nap, but sadly I couldn't get a wink of sleep. I had some dinner and then went to my three hour choir rehearsal. Actually, it wasn't that miserable! Since I was so tired I thought it'd feel like torture, but actually it was quite calming and helped to wake me up a little bit. I think it was really encouraging to hear the tenors and basses getting their parts right for once. There are still some kinks, but overall it seems like we shouldn't be utterly embarassed for our performance on Friday night. I hope not! Seeing as we're charging $15 per ticket, I hope we can put on a decent show. (In case anyone was curious, we're performing Schubert's Mass in G, and a Britten cantata St. Nicholas.)
It felt so good to get a decent night's sleep for once! I slept for nine hours last night, and it was much needed since I've been so sleep deprived lately. I woke up with a headache which did concern me a bit. It wasn't a major headache, but I just wasn't sure if it was from being a bit groggy, or the weather, or possibly catching some cold virus from the kids on Monday. They were all sneezing and coughing, and I washed my hands as much as possible, but one of the kids definitely coughed on me. I've got Zicam on reserve in case any other symptoms start rearing their ugly heads! I've been so lucky this school year to not catch a thing from the kids, which is a huge accomplishment! Last year I can say I was sick no less than 12 times! I know for a fact I was sick more than 12 times, but after the 12th cold-like infection, I stopped counting.
The most important part of the day was that I met with a professor about Michigan's Health Education Master's program. It was a big step for me to actually make it a point to meet with a professor and ask them questions about a potential grad program! The professor I met with was very nice and helpful, and she also introduced me to a current student in the program. The student was also in turn very nice and helpful. They were both ready to welcome me on in to the program! It is very exciting to know I have options, but I have to say, I am no closer to making a decision. The opportunity is great, but something inside of me isn't jumping up and down yet. I'll be going to a grad school fair on Wednesday, and I hope to talk with a professor in Education to discuss persuing Special Education. I'm keeping my options open, and looking in to anything that might interest me and make me happy. Hopefully by the middle of March I'll be ready to send out applications. This is all so exciting, but also scary!!! Even though it's scary, I know it's time for the change.
I know it's pretty bad for me to be drinking a Coke this late at night (I think I'm breaking a resolution), but I know I won't have any problems falling asleep tonight. My stress levels finally seem to be at a manageable level again, thankfully! I also had a phone conference with my boss Jenn... about a bit of everything. I think that also helped my stress. Besides for talking over coworker J, (we decided to agree on some areas and agree to disagree on other areas), we have also already started making plans for the summer, if that isn't crazy enough! You'd think it would add to my stress, but it has actually calmed my nerves. Knock on wood, but the eyelid twitch I've had for about three weeks now finally seems to be going away. I did stop taking my multivitamin in concern that it might be caused from too much B6, but I am starting to think it is a stress tick. Seeing as the last time I got a twitch in my eye was shortly after finding out my sister had MS (that eye twitch went on for about three months without stop), I'm really starting to think it is most definitely a stress twitch. As if I'm not neurotic enough, it seems I've developed a stress twitch! LOL It could be worse, like a random leg twitch that caused me to randomly kick innocent people standing by.
(P.S. It seems as though the Blogger spellcheck isn't working [thanks Robin for the heads up] so I'm sorry for any glaring spelling errors.)
I was so tired yesterday! For work, I subbed for a first grade class I've had before. I took their class, along with the other first grade teacher and her class on a field trip to see a traveling show of Charlotte's Web. I was very surprised that the kids were all very attentive throughout the whole play, and were actually a pretty well behaved bunch! Oh of course they were six and seven year olds, so some things were to be expected. Such as a little boy (I'm positive he was biracial, since lol one talent a biracial kid has is being able to point another biracial person out of a crowd) who stood up and shouted "Look at all the white people here!" (I was so embarrassed, and couldn't figure out why, he being half white, was so shocked by other white people.) I explained to him how upset he'd be if people stood up and pointed and shouted at him. He actually seemed to fully understand my point, because he sheepishly said "sorry!" and sat down quietly. Then there was another little boy who suddenly decided he "couldn't" walk, and literally made me drag him all the way to the school bus (I could have killed that kid!). And to finish it all off, as we were getting off the bus, another kid accidentally bumped a little girl in the face, causing her loose tooth to fall out, with blood gushing everywhere.
All in a day's work.
So needless to say I was exhausted when I finally got home. It also didn't help that I tossed and turned the previous night, and probably only managed at best five hours of sleep. Five hours of sleep usually doesn't do well with a roomful of first graders. When I got home I tried and tried to nap, but sadly I couldn't get a wink of sleep. I had some dinner and then went to my three hour choir rehearsal. Actually, it wasn't that miserable! Since I was so tired I thought it'd feel like torture, but actually it was quite calming and helped to wake me up a little bit. I think it was really encouraging to hear the tenors and basses getting their parts right for once. There are still some kinks, but overall it seems like we shouldn't be utterly embarassed for our performance on Friday night. I hope not! Seeing as we're charging $15 per ticket, I hope we can put on a decent show. (In case anyone was curious, we're performing Schubert's Mass in G, and a Britten cantata St. Nicholas.)
It felt so good to get a decent night's sleep for once! I slept for nine hours last night, and it was much needed since I've been so sleep deprived lately. I woke up with a headache which did concern me a bit. It wasn't a major headache, but I just wasn't sure if it was from being a bit groggy, or the weather, or possibly catching some cold virus from the kids on Monday. They were all sneezing and coughing, and I washed my hands as much as possible, but one of the kids definitely coughed on me. I've got Zicam on reserve in case any other symptoms start rearing their ugly heads! I've been so lucky this school year to not catch a thing from the kids, which is a huge accomplishment! Last year I can say I was sick no less than 12 times! I know for a fact I was sick more than 12 times, but after the 12th cold-like infection, I stopped counting.
The most important part of the day was that I met with a professor about Michigan's Health Education Master's program. It was a big step for me to actually make it a point to meet with a professor and ask them questions about a potential grad program! The professor I met with was very nice and helpful, and she also introduced me to a current student in the program. The student was also in turn very nice and helpful. They were both ready to welcome me on in to the program! It is very exciting to know I have options, but I have to say, I am no closer to making a decision. The opportunity is great, but something inside of me isn't jumping up and down yet. I'll be going to a grad school fair on Wednesday, and I hope to talk with a professor in Education to discuss persuing Special Education. I'm keeping my options open, and looking in to anything that might interest me and make me happy. Hopefully by the middle of March I'll be ready to send out applications. This is all so exciting, but also scary!!! Even though it's scary, I know it's time for the change.
I know it's pretty bad for me to be drinking a Coke this late at night (I think I'm breaking a resolution), but I know I won't have any problems falling asleep tonight. My stress levels finally seem to be at a manageable level again, thankfully! I also had a phone conference with my boss Jenn... about a bit of everything. I think that also helped my stress. Besides for talking over coworker J, (we decided to agree on some areas and agree to disagree on other areas), we have also already started making plans for the summer, if that isn't crazy enough! You'd think it would add to my stress, but it has actually calmed my nerves. Knock on wood, but the eyelid twitch I've had for about three weeks now finally seems to be going away. I did stop taking my multivitamin in concern that it might be caused from too much B6, but I am starting to think it is a stress tick. Seeing as the last time I got a twitch in my eye was shortly after finding out my sister had MS (that eye twitch went on for about three months without stop), I'm really starting to think it is most definitely a stress twitch. As if I'm not neurotic enough, it seems I've developed a stress twitch! LOL It could be worse, like a random leg twitch that caused me to randomly kick innocent people standing by.
(P.S. It seems as though the Blogger spellcheck isn't working [thanks Robin for the heads up] so I'm sorry for any glaring spelling errors.)
1 comment:
- Robin said...
-
Hehe... I had a paczki yesterday. It's in my Polish {and Catholic} blood. ;) Too bad I cheated today (Ash Wednesday) and had meat. Oops!
That's weird that you'd have to accompany kids on a field trip? Well unless the teacher was sick I guess that would be fine then. lol!
And I feel for you with the eyelid twitch. I've had that happen when I've been under extreme stress too. It's the most annoying thing ever. -
2:02 PM EST
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hehe... I had a paczki yesterday. It's in my Polish {and Catholic} blood. ;) Too bad I cheated today (Ash Wednesday) and had meat. Oops!
That's weird that you'd have to accompany kids on a field trip? Well unless the teacher was sick I guess that would be fine then. lol!
And I feel for you with the eyelid twitch. I've had that happen when I've been under extreme stress too. It's the most annoying thing ever.
Post a Comment