Friday, April 18, 2008

The Long Week Makes Friday So Sweet!

I have had such a long ass week! This is the first time in a long time that I've gotten a full day of work for every single day of the week. I really did bust butt trying to get work for the whole week, and it paid off for sure. I was able to secure a full day of work for every day of the week, even though kids were doing the Iowa Test of Basic skills all week. Yes, from MEAP to the Iowa Test... seriously, how many more pointless tests are there? Besides, I always thought the whole point of the MEAP was to phase out the Iowa Test... but here we are all these years later using both tests... wonky.

The full week of work wouldn't have been so bad, but I've had a few doosy days. Today was by far the worst... and it's my own fault. I had a pretty nice job lined up in the suburbs, but I ended up canceling it for a job at an elementary school in the hood teaching art. I foolishly thought to myself, "How hard can art be? I subbed art at Pierce (my old elementary school) twice this week and it was a pretty easy assignment." Ha!!! Stupid foolish me for turning down a job out at good old Carman-Ainsworth schools for a job in the ghetto of Flint. That $20 extra dollars I made today by working in Flint was soooo not worth it. Those kids were pure hell on wheels, and they made me work for every single cent.

Humorously, I subbed for choir and band at Carman-Ainsworth Middle School in the middle of the week (I know the names of the schools mean nothing to you guys, but it's helping me keep things straight in my head). It was humorous, because once the teacher heard "Blue Lake" she immediately insisted I run a full rehearsal with each group. YES... a full rehearsal. Um, yeah, my conducting skills are pretty non-existent. I can do a 4/4 and a 3/4 pattern, and that's about that. The choir kids were a bit easier for me to do, since I knew most of their music and could sightread through the rest. But I haven't been in band since I was like in the 9th grade! My trumpet skills have long since left me... but somehow I actually managed to run a full rehearsal. I shocked myself by being able to read off the full conductor's score, and actually found myself casually saying things like "Clarinets... we're on measure 30, stay with me, okay? Trumpets... B natural, not B flat!" I guess I'm actually a musician after all, and not just the lazy alto I pretend to be. Haha. As fun as it turned out to be, I don't think I'll be volunteering for that job again anytime soon. My arms were killing me by the end of the day!

And to round my long week off, I had to sit through a CPR-PR review class on Tuesday. It ran from 5 to 8:30ish, which was a big improvement from the 10pm scheduled ending. There were like eight or nine of us in the class, and I was totally like the annoying Hermione Granger kid in the back. (Oh, randomly, I've decided that years in the future, when I get a dog when I live in my very own house, I think it would adorable to name it Hermione. Haha). I raised my hands a million times knowing all the answers, to the point of I wasn't speaking up anymore for fear of annoying people. But my instructor wouldn't really let me not answer... when everyone sat silently, he'd say "Come on Miss Pink... you have the answer, I can see it in your eyes... spit it out!" (I was wearing a pink t shirt.) So that was a very boring part of the week, and it just made a long day even longer. But I got 100% on my CPR exam, and have officially gotten a new CPR-PR certification. Thank you Blue Lake for flipping that bill... I certainly didn't want to have to cover that $50!

Now I'm completely sleep deprived and exhausted, but I can't complain because I have a lovely weekend to look forward to! In fact, I'm going to steal Robin's idea for today, and write about five things that I'm grateful for as of late. In no particular order:

1. Girl's Night Out! Woo hoo, it's time for another girls night! This time we're going to meet up for dinner, and then go see the movie "Forgetting Sarah Marshall." We all agree it looks super funny, so hopefully it will be! Either way, I love the fact that me and and my old friends have become so much more social lately. It makes me feel like a normal person to get to hang with my friends on a normal basis.
2. The amazing weather! The high for today is 78 degrees... trees are starting to bloom, and hopefully the tulips will be blooming very soon! They are on the brink, but they haven't quite opened up yet. This is why spring is my favorite season! I could never get sick of tulips, lilies, and daffodils.
3. Rock of Love. I just have to say, as trashy as the show is, I love it! The season finale was great, and me and my friend Melanie agree that we can't wait to see the reunion show (if only for it appearing that Daisy gets her ass kicked by Heather. haha.)
4. Target. How much do I love Target? They pretty much have 90% of anything that I could possibly need in life. Yesterday, I got a super cute pink polo shirt, and a cute fitted black t shirt, and I paid like $15 for the two. Cheaper and cuter than the stuff Old Navy had out... thank you Target! I can get some cute, simple tops for the spring without breaking my budget.
5. My Puppies. Seriously, they are so freaking cute! Tabby is just terror on four legs, haha, and Teddy can be such a sweet little guy! I don't think there has been a single day this week that has went by that at some point, Teddy didn't put his little head (okay, actually he's so huge his head is about the size of mine, lol) in my lap, and just stare up at me. It's so sweet to know that some little being, whether human or covered in fur, only wants your undivided attention. So sweet.

******

Okay, I'm going to go do a quick shave of my legs, lol so I can wear my capris out. I love this weather! Happy Friday everyone!

3 comments:

Robin said...

You're a brave person for a weeks worth of subbing! I don't know if I could last. :P

Hermione is a totally cute name for a pet! At one point {when Mr. Russo was still alive} I was referring to the three as: Russo/Ron {orange hair}, Abby was Hermione {obviously}, and Mango the "boy who lived" was Harry. LOL!

That Forgetting Sarah Marshall looks really funny! I haven't been to the movies in a while. I'm still trying to catch up with stuff that was out months ago! :P

And speaking of this warm weather, I think I need to mow the freakin' lawn! My sister fertilized it and it's super long now. Argh!

Ok. Enough of my ramblings. :)

Anonymous said...

I want puppies....:(
I want weather to wear capris...:(
I want to work as a teach...
or maybe not! ;)

It takes someone special to be a teacher.

Kirby said...

I am jealous of your weather.

Friday, April 18, 2008

The Long Week Makes Friday So Sweet!

I have had such a long ass week! This is the first time in a long time that I've gotten a full day of work for every single day of the week. I really did bust butt trying to get work for the whole week, and it paid off for sure. I was able to secure a full day of work for every day of the week, even though kids were doing the Iowa Test of Basic skills all week. Yes, from MEAP to the Iowa Test... seriously, how many more pointless tests are there? Besides, I always thought the whole point of the MEAP was to phase out the Iowa Test... but here we are all these years later using both tests... wonky.

The full week of work wouldn't have been so bad, but I've had a few doosy days. Today was by far the worst... and it's my own fault. I had a pretty nice job lined up in the suburbs, but I ended up canceling it for a job at an elementary school in the hood teaching art. I foolishly thought to myself, "How hard can art be? I subbed art at Pierce (my old elementary school) twice this week and it was a pretty easy assignment." Ha!!! Stupid foolish me for turning down a job out at good old Carman-Ainsworth schools for a job in the ghetto of Flint. That $20 extra dollars I made today by working in Flint was soooo not worth it. Those kids were pure hell on wheels, and they made me work for every single cent.

Humorously, I subbed for choir and band at Carman-Ainsworth Middle School in the middle of the week (I know the names of the schools mean nothing to you guys, but it's helping me keep things straight in my head). It was humorous, because once the teacher heard "Blue Lake" she immediately insisted I run a full rehearsal with each group. YES... a full rehearsal. Um, yeah, my conducting skills are pretty non-existent. I can do a 4/4 and a 3/4 pattern, and that's about that. The choir kids were a bit easier for me to do, since I knew most of their music and could sightread through the rest. But I haven't been in band since I was like in the 9th grade! My trumpet skills have long since left me... but somehow I actually managed to run a full rehearsal. I shocked myself by being able to read off the full conductor's score, and actually found myself casually saying things like "Clarinets... we're on measure 30, stay with me, okay? Trumpets... B natural, not B flat!" I guess I'm actually a musician after all, and not just the lazy alto I pretend to be. Haha. As fun as it turned out to be, I don't think I'll be volunteering for that job again anytime soon. My arms were killing me by the end of the day!

And to round my long week off, I had to sit through a CPR-PR review class on Tuesday. It ran from 5 to 8:30ish, which was a big improvement from the 10pm scheduled ending. There were like eight or nine of us in the class, and I was totally like the annoying Hermione Granger kid in the back. (Oh, randomly, I've decided that years in the future, when I get a dog when I live in my very own house, I think it would adorable to name it Hermione. Haha). I raised my hands a million times knowing all the answers, to the point of I wasn't speaking up anymore for fear of annoying people. But my instructor wouldn't really let me not answer... when everyone sat silently, he'd say "Come on Miss Pink... you have the answer, I can see it in your eyes... spit it out!" (I was wearing a pink t shirt.) So that was a very boring part of the week, and it just made a long day even longer. But I got 100% on my CPR exam, and have officially gotten a new CPR-PR certification. Thank you Blue Lake for flipping that bill... I certainly didn't want to have to cover that $50!

Now I'm completely sleep deprived and exhausted, but I can't complain because I have a lovely weekend to look forward to! In fact, I'm going to steal Robin's idea for today, and write about five things that I'm grateful for as of late. In no particular order:

1. Girl's Night Out! Woo hoo, it's time for another girls night! This time we're going to meet up for dinner, and then go see the movie "Forgetting Sarah Marshall." We all agree it looks super funny, so hopefully it will be! Either way, I love the fact that me and and my old friends have become so much more social lately. It makes me feel like a normal person to get to hang with my friends on a normal basis.
2. The amazing weather! The high for today is 78 degrees... trees are starting to bloom, and hopefully the tulips will be blooming very soon! They are on the brink, but they haven't quite opened up yet. This is why spring is my favorite season! I could never get sick of tulips, lilies, and daffodils.
3. Rock of Love. I just have to say, as trashy as the show is, I love it! The season finale was great, and me and my friend Melanie agree that we can't wait to see the reunion show (if only for it appearing that Daisy gets her ass kicked by Heather. haha.)
4. Target. How much do I love Target? They pretty much have 90% of anything that I could possibly need in life. Yesterday, I got a super cute pink polo shirt, and a cute fitted black t shirt, and I paid like $15 for the two. Cheaper and cuter than the stuff Old Navy had out... thank you Target! I can get some cute, simple tops for the spring without breaking my budget.
5. My Puppies. Seriously, they are so freaking cute! Tabby is just terror on four legs, haha, and Teddy can be such a sweet little guy! I don't think there has been a single day this week that has went by that at some point, Teddy didn't put his little head (okay, actually he's so huge his head is about the size of mine, lol) in my lap, and just stare up at me. It's so sweet to know that some little being, whether human or covered in fur, only wants your undivided attention. So sweet.

******

Okay, I'm going to go do a quick shave of my legs, lol so I can wear my capris out. I love this weather! Happy Friday everyone!

3 comments:

Robin said...

You're a brave person for a weeks worth of subbing! I don't know if I could last. :P

Hermione is a totally cute name for a pet! At one point {when Mr. Russo was still alive} I was referring to the three as: Russo/Ron {orange hair}, Abby was Hermione {obviously}, and Mango the "boy who lived" was Harry. LOL!

That Forgetting Sarah Marshall looks really funny! I haven't been to the movies in a while. I'm still trying to catch up with stuff that was out months ago! :P

And speaking of this warm weather, I think I need to mow the freakin' lawn! My sister fertilized it and it's super long now. Argh!

Ok. Enough of my ramblings. :)

Anonymous said...

I want puppies....:(
I want weather to wear capris...:(
I want to work as a teach...
or maybe not! ;)

It takes someone special to be a teacher.

Kirby said...

I am jealous of your weather.