Monday, November 10, 2008

If I Were a Boy...

Wow... what a writer's block I've got today! I have been trying to come up with ideas all day long on what to blog about. Life is pretty boring lately, which I'm not complaining about, but it doesn't make for great blog material. Finally though, an idea came to me at the last minute. For some reason that new song of Beyonce's has found it's way in to my head, so it gave me an idea of what to blog about.

What if I were born a boy? What would my life be like then?

I'm not exactly sure my life would have been incredibly different... I mean, I'd be the same person overall, just male, right? My thoughts and values would still be the same, I think.

But what about the whole nurture versus nature thing? Hmm.

Well, I think I would have probably worked harder to please my father. I think in general boys want to be like their fathers, where as a girl I always felt like I was "Daddy's Little Girl" and thus really could do no wrong in my father's eyes. So I would probably have spent more time doing outdoorsy things, like going fishing, and playing sports. But then again... maybe not. I don't know that being a boy would have made me less of a bookworm, nor would it have taken away my interest in music.

I do think as a boy I would have never of given up trumpet, and I probably would have thought choir was too girly to continue it the way that I have. Junior high probably would have been a lot easier for me, because I was tormented a lot by boys in the band... and as a boy I would have fit right in... and possibly been one of the boys teasing the poor lone girl.

If I were a boy, I would have never of developed as many online friends as I have now, because I highly doubt I'd have a huge love for novels and films like Anne of Green Gables. And if I did, I certainly wouldn't have admitted it to anyone!

If I were a boy, I'd probably be dating someone right now, or at least casually dating someone here and there. I think I'd be more willing to put myself out there, and be a little more outgoing.

If I were a boy, I probably wouldn't be living here at home either... it seems like that's something that is perfectly okay for a female my age but for a guy it would be kind of frowned upon... like he'd be considered a loser or something.

If I were a boy, my friends would be completely different. There wouldn't be any me and the girls, it would be me and the boys... and I can't even wrap my brain around that!

If I were a boy, my relationship with my sister would be different as well. Would I have been the protective older brother, or the brother who picks on his little sister? Hmm. I seem to think I'd have been the protective type, since my sister was always the one filling in the role of the one doing the picking as a child!

If I were a boy, I wouldn't exactly be me after all. It wouldn't just be the male version of me... it would be someone who had completely different experiences. Hmm.

Overall, I'm pretty glad I was born a girl. My life is what it was meant to be for a reason.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Wow, what a great idea...and a though provoking post. I'm trying to imagine it myself, and I can't wrap my mind around it at all.

Monday, November 10, 2008

If I Were a Boy...

Wow... what a writer's block I've got today! I have been trying to come up with ideas all day long on what to blog about. Life is pretty boring lately, which I'm not complaining about, but it doesn't make for great blog material. Finally though, an idea came to me at the last minute. For some reason that new song of Beyonce's has found it's way in to my head, so it gave me an idea of what to blog about.

What if I were born a boy? What would my life be like then?

I'm not exactly sure my life would have been incredibly different... I mean, I'd be the same person overall, just male, right? My thoughts and values would still be the same, I think.

But what about the whole nurture versus nature thing? Hmm.

Well, I think I would have probably worked harder to please my father. I think in general boys want to be like their fathers, where as a girl I always felt like I was "Daddy's Little Girl" and thus really could do no wrong in my father's eyes. So I would probably have spent more time doing outdoorsy things, like going fishing, and playing sports. But then again... maybe not. I don't know that being a boy would have made me less of a bookworm, nor would it have taken away my interest in music.

I do think as a boy I would have never of given up trumpet, and I probably would have thought choir was too girly to continue it the way that I have. Junior high probably would have been a lot easier for me, because I was tormented a lot by boys in the band... and as a boy I would have fit right in... and possibly been one of the boys teasing the poor lone girl.

If I were a boy, I would have never of developed as many online friends as I have now, because I highly doubt I'd have a huge love for novels and films like Anne of Green Gables. And if I did, I certainly wouldn't have admitted it to anyone!

If I were a boy, I'd probably be dating someone right now, or at least casually dating someone here and there. I think I'd be more willing to put myself out there, and be a little more outgoing.

If I were a boy, I probably wouldn't be living here at home either... it seems like that's something that is perfectly okay for a female my age but for a guy it would be kind of frowned upon... like he'd be considered a loser or something.

If I were a boy, my friends would be completely different. There wouldn't be any me and the girls, it would be me and the boys... and I can't even wrap my brain around that!

If I were a boy, my relationship with my sister would be different as well. Would I have been the protective older brother, or the brother who picks on his little sister? Hmm. I seem to think I'd have been the protective type, since my sister was always the one filling in the role of the one doing the picking as a child!

If I were a boy, I wouldn't exactly be me after all. It wouldn't just be the male version of me... it would be someone who had completely different experiences. Hmm.

Overall, I'm pretty glad I was born a girl. My life is what it was meant to be for a reason.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Wow, what a great idea...and a though provoking post. I'm trying to imagine it myself, and I can't wrap my mind around it at all.