Thursday, March 12, 2009

Like Yen and Yang I Guess...

Oh geez. Tomorrow is Friday the 13th, but today seems more like the bad luck day! Well, it hasn't been all bad, but just enough to make you want to put your head in your hands for a few moments.

To catch up... this past week I met up with my advisor, a professor I have a class on program planning with. She was telling me that she thinks I should start looking in to doctoral programs! I'm kind of at a loss... I don't know what I think. I mean on the one hand, I had floated that in my head as a possibility, but on the other hand, I wasn't thinking of it as being something I'd want to do anytime soon! Do I really want to start looking in to more graduate programs? This time I definitely won't be able to stay in Flint, which is not in itself a bad thing. I don't know... adding three or more years to my schooling? What about the whole idea of settling down, having a family one day? How is that a possibility for me when I'm stuck with my nose in a book all day, writing more research papers?

Ah, I don't know. It's just a lot to consider.

So anyhow, moving on in the week. I had to meet up with the same professor today to discuss an assignment me and my group partner turned in. Well, the thing was a bit of a mess, and when we turned it in on Friday (technically late, mind you), I was just tired of looking at it. My partner kept contradicting everything I would say about the assignment, being kind of lazy about doing it, and to top it off, turned it in later than planned! So in the end, my attitude about it had kind of turned south. I honestly didn't care anymore, I just wanted the damn thing submitted. Well, my professor decided to talk to us about the "lack of quality" of the assignment, wrote on almost every page in red pen, and told us she was being generous by giving us 80%. Of course, followed up with the guilt trip of "I'll expect better work from you ladies next time, you're both capable of so much more."

Well damn. I honestly don't care! It was one measly assignment that on it's own isn't even worth 5% of my grade. Do I wish we did better? Of course I do. But I'm only one person. I hate group work, and I am so tired of my partner, who is more concerned on catching the first bus to Toronto than actually doing her share of the work.

The day did thankfully get better. I got a 99% on my health communications midterm, so that's a plus! The professor for that class also agreed that I could sign up to work with him for my thesis, which is another plus. I got the feeling that my professor for program planning wanted me to sign up to work on my thesis with her... however, this professor is much more easy going, and he happens to be incredibly enthusiastic about my thesis topic. He told me that "I don't take on many students for thesis prep... we don't get credit for working with these students... flaw in the department's definitions...we're getting that fixed... I only take on students when I like their topic, and it just so happens that I love yours... It'd be great to work with you in the fall."

So there you have it. A plus to a rather crappy day.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, my partner and I had agreed to meet up after our class today to work on our project. Guess who left class the moment the clock struck 6:30? Oh that's right, that would be my partner! Apparently as I was talking to another student about a project in another class, she skipped out. Unbelievable!

4 comments:

Robin said...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! My sister is thinking about going back to school. I personally think she's nuts. :-P

Kirby said...

Whatever you do, don't let your professors pressure you into doing something you don't want to do. Mine are doing the same thing, trying to get me into the masters program but I refuse to do it unless I decide later that I want to.

If you do decide to do it, good for you!

Tamara said...

I'm not planning on making any decision about this until the fall... now is not the time!

Heather said...

Stinks when a partner doesn't do his/her share. A team of mine once kicked someone off (can't say I recommend it). It was awkward, but she never showed up for meetings or did anything. Silly girl was getting an MBA and a DVM (vet) at the same time!! Crazy.

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Like Yen and Yang I Guess...

Oh geez. Tomorrow is Friday the 13th, but today seems more like the bad luck day! Well, it hasn't been all bad, but just enough to make you want to put your head in your hands for a few moments.

To catch up... this past week I met up with my advisor, a professor I have a class on program planning with. She was telling me that she thinks I should start looking in to doctoral programs! I'm kind of at a loss... I don't know what I think. I mean on the one hand, I had floated that in my head as a possibility, but on the other hand, I wasn't thinking of it as being something I'd want to do anytime soon! Do I really want to start looking in to more graduate programs? This time I definitely won't be able to stay in Flint, which is not in itself a bad thing. I don't know... adding three or more years to my schooling? What about the whole idea of settling down, having a family one day? How is that a possibility for me when I'm stuck with my nose in a book all day, writing more research papers?

Ah, I don't know. It's just a lot to consider.

So anyhow, moving on in the week. I had to meet up with the same professor today to discuss an assignment me and my group partner turned in. Well, the thing was a bit of a mess, and when we turned it in on Friday (technically late, mind you), I was just tired of looking at it. My partner kept contradicting everything I would say about the assignment, being kind of lazy about doing it, and to top it off, turned it in later than planned! So in the end, my attitude about it had kind of turned south. I honestly didn't care anymore, I just wanted the damn thing submitted. Well, my professor decided to talk to us about the "lack of quality" of the assignment, wrote on almost every page in red pen, and told us she was being generous by giving us 80%. Of course, followed up with the guilt trip of "I'll expect better work from you ladies next time, you're both capable of so much more."

Well damn. I honestly don't care! It was one measly assignment that on it's own isn't even worth 5% of my grade. Do I wish we did better? Of course I do. But I'm only one person. I hate group work, and I am so tired of my partner, who is more concerned on catching the first bus to Toronto than actually doing her share of the work.

The day did thankfully get better. I got a 99% on my health communications midterm, so that's a plus! The professor for that class also agreed that I could sign up to work with him for my thesis, which is another plus. I got the feeling that my professor for program planning wanted me to sign up to work on my thesis with her... however, this professor is much more easy going, and he happens to be incredibly enthusiastic about my thesis topic. He told me that "I don't take on many students for thesis prep... we don't get credit for working with these students... flaw in the department's definitions...we're getting that fixed... I only take on students when I like their topic, and it just so happens that I love yours... It'd be great to work with you in the fall."

So there you have it. A plus to a rather crappy day.

Edited to add: Oh yeah, my partner and I had agreed to meet up after our class today to work on our project. Guess who left class the moment the clock struck 6:30? Oh that's right, that would be my partner! Apparently as I was talking to another student about a project in another class, she skipped out. Unbelievable!

4 comments:

Robin said...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! My sister is thinking about going back to school. I personally think she's nuts. :-P

Kirby said...

Whatever you do, don't let your professors pressure you into doing something you don't want to do. Mine are doing the same thing, trying to get me into the masters program but I refuse to do it unless I decide later that I want to.

If you do decide to do it, good for you!

Tamara said...

I'm not planning on making any decision about this until the fall... now is not the time!

Heather said...

Stinks when a partner doesn't do his/her share. A team of mine once kicked someone off (can't say I recommend it). It was awkward, but she never showed up for meetings or did anything. Silly girl was getting an MBA and a DVM (vet) at the same time!! Crazy.