So I went back five years the last time, so this time I'm going back ten years.
Ten years ago I was 17 years old, and it was my senior year of high school. It was 1999, and I remember having a blast that year! I was in high school at Flint Southwestern Academy (FSWA), home of the Knights. It was the "private" public school in the city... you only got in by invitation for having good grades and good behavior. It was such a prep school, geez! I would have just wrapped up my third season on the girl's varsity tennis team, and would have just had my homecoming, as well.
I remember my homecoming dress from my senior year! It was a deep dark purple, and since it was chilly at night, I had a black velvet shrug which was ALL the rage then, haha. Oh wow, had I thought this through, I'd have scanned some photos from my senior memory book for this post. Maybe I'll still do that.
My best friend of course, was Bernadette, and we did everything together. I was also pretty close with Andrea (one of the girls I have monthly girls' nights with). And I also remember being really close to my friends Kristen and Huong. Kristen, Huong, and Andrea are all married now... geez! Kristen moved to Ohio last year after getting married, and Huong lives in Florida with her hubby, but we're actually going to get together during Thanksgiving, so that should be awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing her.
Hmm, music... that cheesy Vitamin C song "Friends Forever" was a big deal for us since we were graduating. And everyone made a huge deal out of us being the class of 2000. It kind of made you feel like a bit of a star around school... every event was "In honor of our Class of 2000... the first of the new millenium!" Oh geez.
Pep rallies were so much fun, the seniors got to sit in the front, and we'd shout "SEN-IORS!!!" in response to the juniors yelling about their superiority. :) I also remember going to football games (having no idea when to cheer, since our team didn't win a single game that year!), and shouting "S-DUB!!!" which was short for FSWA.
My friends and I also started having slumber parties again... something we had deemed years ago to be too "immature" but now that we were soon to graduate, "childish" activities suddenly seemed like fun again. And colleges were a big deal too, as was studying for the ACT... pretty much everyone took the ACT instead of the SAT.
Ooh, and hahaha I totally remember suddenly that I was madly in love with Enrique Iglesias! Haha, oh wow, did I ever love him... and have some impure thoughts, too! Haha. Oh that is definitely a blast from the past. Kinda makes me want to break out one of my old CDs and listen to Rhythm Divine!
Well that's about all I got from being 17. 17 was a great year, now that I think of it. :)
5 comments:
I played tennis in H.S. too!!
Vitamin C... wow! That just brought back some memories. lol!
Were you good at tennis? I wasn't that great, haha varsity makes it sound like I was good. I could hit the ball, and manage not to double fault, and that was about that. :)
Oh no, flashbacks! Hahahahah. Great post. :)
"All I nee-eeeed is a rhythm divine!" Heh heh heh. :D
I was alright. Not totally horrible but definitely not spectacular, either. I took lessons at one point and that helped.
I vividly remember that year, it was a crazy one! And the music from 99-00 is one of my guilty pleasures!
Post a Comment