Sunday, December 27, 2009

Life Recently

Ah... I seem to fail at blogging for December. It's just been one of those things... like a mental road block that is hard for me to get over. Also, life just doesn't seem to ever want to relax... it just seems like my life since June has been full of one hurdle after the other. Just when I think I can catch my breath... wham! Here comes something else.

So yes, I got the cold that would not die. I'm pretty sure it wasn't strep, just because I was never running a fever and even though my throat was sore, I seem to remember when I was 12 and had strep that it felt like I had swallowed a razor. It definitely didn't feel quite that bad. But it definitely hurt a lot. The antibiotics... it actually did seem like they worked somewhat, so I don't know if I started out with a virus and had a bacterial infection on top of it... definitely suspect I was getting an ear infection as well.... but yeah. Anyhow, it was literally just like the last day or so when I finally started feeling completely healthy.

Last Sunday we went to Frankenmuth, better known as "Little Bavaria" for my sister's birthday. While there we went to the Bavarian Inn for one of their famous chicken dinners, and we also went to Bronner's, the world's largest Christmas store. I bought my gramma a bulb that said "Grandma's heart is always filled with love" and also bought an ornament stand to hang it from, seeing as I knew she didn't put up a tree this year. I meant to take it to her at the hospital... but, that's another story.

Before I get to that story, the day before Christmas Eve I met my friend Lauren in East Lansing (about a 45 minute drive west), and then she drove us another hour southwest to Kalamazoo. There we met up with our friend Dan, and explored our way around the town. It was pretty cold out, so mostly we stopped at restaurants (I am never impressed with their frou frou food choices, but I always nod my head and go along...) and got either food or drinks along the way. I had a lot of fun, but Dan in too large of a dose can work my nerves a bit. I could tell by the end of the day Lauren was getting a little worn out, too. It was fun, but probably not the best thing for my lingering cold!

And as for that story, my gramma had been battling a bad case of bronchitis for over a month. After pleading with her to go to the hospital, she finally gave in. She went in oh... last Thursday or Friday was it? I can't quite remember anymore. But they found out at that point she also had a case of pneumonia. Well... the infection was getting worse and worse, and the doctors couldn't understand why she wasn't getting any better.

On Christmas Eve, they moved her to intensive care, and found out that she had the "superbug" of MRSA. They actually think she got it from my grandfather years ago when he got a bad staph infection after surgery, and it's just been dormant in her system. Anyhow, they put her on this oxygen mask that looked like she was going scuba diving, and it kept forcing her to take in pressurized oxygen. We also had to wash our hands before and entering her room, and only two visitors at a time. Needless to say, it wasn't the most pleasant of holidays spending it at the hospital being worried to death. Thankfully, my grandmother is off the pressurized mask now and is just hooked up to a regular oxygen cannula... so she's not out of the woods yet, but she is doing better. Thank God she seems to be responding to the super duper strong antibiotics they put her on.

So that's been life around here... I did find out I got a 4.0, don't ask me how I pulled that off because I feel like this whole semester has just been one big depressing hurdle for me. I also got a Wii for Christmas, and Wii Fit Plus, which has been super fun to play with so far. And hopefully for New Year's Eve, as long as my gramma continues to do well, I'll be going to Muskegon to go to a party my friend Jenn is having. Today has been a pretty lazy day, except for the quick trip to Ikea (an hour drive south) that Bernadette and I made for the coffee table we wanted that was out of stock in November. Yes, tomorrow, I have to find something to keep my brain busy.

I have to say, in case it wasn't obvious, I am looking forward to 2009 just coming to an end already. I need a fresh start, and here's hoping 2010 is one free of illness and heartbreak.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I hear ya on the blogging. For some reason I am all "talked" out. I blame it on NaBloPoMo! It sucks all the creative energy out of a person. :-P

Glad to hear you're feeling better! A lingering cold is the worst.

And also glad to hear your Grandma is doing better! It's very stressful when someone is sickly, and even worse during the holidays.

Congrats on the 4.0 that is awesome!!!

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Life Recently

Ah... I seem to fail at blogging for December. It's just been one of those things... like a mental road block that is hard for me to get over. Also, life just doesn't seem to ever want to relax... it just seems like my life since June has been full of one hurdle after the other. Just when I think I can catch my breath... wham! Here comes something else.

So yes, I got the cold that would not die. I'm pretty sure it wasn't strep, just because I was never running a fever and even though my throat was sore, I seem to remember when I was 12 and had strep that it felt like I had swallowed a razor. It definitely didn't feel quite that bad. But it definitely hurt a lot. The antibiotics... it actually did seem like they worked somewhat, so I don't know if I started out with a virus and had a bacterial infection on top of it... definitely suspect I was getting an ear infection as well.... but yeah. Anyhow, it was literally just like the last day or so when I finally started feeling completely healthy.

Last Sunday we went to Frankenmuth, better known as "Little Bavaria" for my sister's birthday. While there we went to the Bavarian Inn for one of their famous chicken dinners, and we also went to Bronner's, the world's largest Christmas store. I bought my gramma a bulb that said "Grandma's heart is always filled with love" and also bought an ornament stand to hang it from, seeing as I knew she didn't put up a tree this year. I meant to take it to her at the hospital... but, that's another story.

Before I get to that story, the day before Christmas Eve I met my friend Lauren in East Lansing (about a 45 minute drive west), and then she drove us another hour southwest to Kalamazoo. There we met up with our friend Dan, and explored our way around the town. It was pretty cold out, so mostly we stopped at restaurants (I am never impressed with their frou frou food choices, but I always nod my head and go along...) and got either food or drinks along the way. I had a lot of fun, but Dan in too large of a dose can work my nerves a bit. I could tell by the end of the day Lauren was getting a little worn out, too. It was fun, but probably not the best thing for my lingering cold!

And as for that story, my gramma had been battling a bad case of bronchitis for over a month. After pleading with her to go to the hospital, she finally gave in. She went in oh... last Thursday or Friday was it? I can't quite remember anymore. But they found out at that point she also had a case of pneumonia. Well... the infection was getting worse and worse, and the doctors couldn't understand why she wasn't getting any better.

On Christmas Eve, they moved her to intensive care, and found out that she had the "superbug" of MRSA. They actually think she got it from my grandfather years ago when he got a bad staph infection after surgery, and it's just been dormant in her system. Anyhow, they put her on this oxygen mask that looked like she was going scuba diving, and it kept forcing her to take in pressurized oxygen. We also had to wash our hands before and entering her room, and only two visitors at a time. Needless to say, it wasn't the most pleasant of holidays spending it at the hospital being worried to death. Thankfully, my grandmother is off the pressurized mask now and is just hooked up to a regular oxygen cannula... so she's not out of the woods yet, but she is doing better. Thank God she seems to be responding to the super duper strong antibiotics they put her on.

So that's been life around here... I did find out I got a 4.0, don't ask me how I pulled that off because I feel like this whole semester has just been one big depressing hurdle for me. I also got a Wii for Christmas, and Wii Fit Plus, which has been super fun to play with so far. And hopefully for New Year's Eve, as long as my gramma continues to do well, I'll be going to Muskegon to go to a party my friend Jenn is having. Today has been a pretty lazy day, except for the quick trip to Ikea (an hour drive south) that Bernadette and I made for the coffee table we wanted that was out of stock in November. Yes, tomorrow, I have to find something to keep my brain busy.

I have to say, in case it wasn't obvious, I am looking forward to 2009 just coming to an end already. I need a fresh start, and here's hoping 2010 is one free of illness and heartbreak.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I hear ya on the blogging. For some reason I am all "talked" out. I blame it on NaBloPoMo! It sucks all the creative energy out of a person. :-P

Glad to hear you're feeling better! A lingering cold is the worst.

And also glad to hear your Grandma is doing better! It's very stressful when someone is sickly, and even worse during the holidays.

Congrats on the 4.0 that is awesome!!!