Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lengthy Update on My Ridiculous Life Part 1

***Edited in two parts because it was too long and Blogger was trying to publish it as one big paraghraph. Part 2 is below!***

Hi, I'm here... alive, and mostly well, I think. My roomie Bernadette got sick later this week, and now I feel like I'm coming down with it, too. Last night I took my dad to a Piston's game for his 60th birthday, but right before this, I noticed that right under my chin was sore. I am assuming this is a swollen lymph node, although I've never had one under my chin get irritated like this, that I remember. Usually I'll feel one under my arm. But today it is more sore, I think my gland is a little swollen, and I have that typical cold-like weird scratch to my throat. Luckily I'm not running a fever, at least yet.

And the next few bits are TMI, so here is your warning, if you don't want to read on! So I've had this yeast infection I've been battling, for almost a month now. And the worst part is that I'm pretty sure I caused it, and not only caused it, but caused a resistant one at that! And how did I do this, you ask? Well, after having a long day at work a little over a month ago, I felt a little chafing. Poor underwear choice, and you girls know how that goes! So anyhow, I had this leftover topical cream from when I had a mild yeast infection in December. Don't ask me why I was so stupid, but I used some of this topical cream thinking it would help the chafing. I have a degree in Biology, a Master's degree (almost) in Health Ed, I. should. know. better. So I didn't just use this cream once, I used it for like 3 or 4 days. And guess what happened? As soon as I stopped using it, I got intense itching... and all the other lovely side effects that go along with a yeast infection.

So you think I would have learned my lesson, right? Oh no. I decide that I don't need to treat this yeast infection, I'll just eat some Activia yogurt instead. Haha... that may not even be the right probiotic to help with a yeast infection. Anyhow, the yeast infection just got worse and worse... but I thought to myself, ah I'll just mention it when I have the colposcopy, no biggie. But then I read they won't like to do a colposcopy if you have a yeast infection, so at this point I finally decided to buy the 3 day over the counter Monistat stuff to get rid of the infection. Literally the day I stopped using it, I got my period. I thought to myself "Great, if there is any lingering, aunt flo will take care of the rest."

Let me say, they make the 7 day stuff for a reason. 3 days are fine, but 7 days are much more effective. Especially when you have a yeast infection you've brought on by being stupid, and you let linger until it got super bad. So anyhow, literally the day my period ended, I had the colposcopy. Which thankfully wasn't painful (I had heard some horror stories about the pain). But I also failed to mention that since the yeast infection got so bad, I got a nice rash of little bumps down yonder. I was more concerned about the rash than anything else, what if I had an STD or something? I was totally freaking out. The nurse seemed unconcerned, saying it could be eczema. Eczema? I've never had that before in my life... but she didn't think it looked like an STD. She told me the yeast test was negative, so I must be in the clear, and that I should just use some cortisone.

No comments:

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lengthy Update on My Ridiculous Life Part 1

***Edited in two parts because it was too long and Blogger was trying to publish it as one big paraghraph. Part 2 is below!***

Hi, I'm here... alive, and mostly well, I think. My roomie Bernadette got sick later this week, and now I feel like I'm coming down with it, too. Last night I took my dad to a Piston's game for his 60th birthday, but right before this, I noticed that right under my chin was sore. I am assuming this is a swollen lymph node, although I've never had one under my chin get irritated like this, that I remember. Usually I'll feel one under my arm. But today it is more sore, I think my gland is a little swollen, and I have that typical cold-like weird scratch to my throat. Luckily I'm not running a fever, at least yet.

And the next few bits are TMI, so here is your warning, if you don't want to read on! So I've had this yeast infection I've been battling, for almost a month now. And the worst part is that I'm pretty sure I caused it, and not only caused it, but caused a resistant one at that! And how did I do this, you ask? Well, after having a long day at work a little over a month ago, I felt a little chafing. Poor underwear choice, and you girls know how that goes! So anyhow, I had this leftover topical cream from when I had a mild yeast infection in December. Don't ask me why I was so stupid, but I used some of this topical cream thinking it would help the chafing. I have a degree in Biology, a Master's degree (almost) in Health Ed, I. should. know. better. So I didn't just use this cream once, I used it for like 3 or 4 days. And guess what happened? As soon as I stopped using it, I got intense itching... and all the other lovely side effects that go along with a yeast infection.

So you think I would have learned my lesson, right? Oh no. I decide that I don't need to treat this yeast infection, I'll just eat some Activia yogurt instead. Haha... that may not even be the right probiotic to help with a yeast infection. Anyhow, the yeast infection just got worse and worse... but I thought to myself, ah I'll just mention it when I have the colposcopy, no biggie. But then I read they won't like to do a colposcopy if you have a yeast infection, so at this point I finally decided to buy the 3 day over the counter Monistat stuff to get rid of the infection. Literally the day I stopped using it, I got my period. I thought to myself "Great, if there is any lingering, aunt flo will take care of the rest."

Let me say, they make the 7 day stuff for a reason. 3 days are fine, but 7 days are much more effective. Especially when you have a yeast infection you've brought on by being stupid, and you let linger until it got super bad. So anyhow, literally the day my period ended, I had the colposcopy. Which thankfully wasn't painful (I had heard some horror stories about the pain). But I also failed to mention that since the yeast infection got so bad, I got a nice rash of little bumps down yonder. I was more concerned about the rash than anything else, what if I had an STD or something? I was totally freaking out. The nurse seemed unconcerned, saying it could be eczema. Eczema? I've never had that before in my life... but she didn't think it looked like an STD. She told me the yeast test was negative, so I must be in the clear, and that I should just use some cortisone.

No comments: