Hey guys, I'm still alive! Camp is busy as usual, and I have to say that I'm exhausted from these 17+ hour workdays. But I feel super accomplished, and being the Health Director was easier for me than I thought it would be! I'm in a hurry to finish this post because my battery is crap and will die at any moment.
Basically, it has been a huge relief to be able to make decisions on my own in the Health Lodge without having to have other people stepping on my toes. We had only one major emergency, but it involved a faculty member, and thankfully not a camper. This poor woman rode her bike down one of the big hills we have on the only paved road, and she hit a sand patch at the side of the road... and off the bike she went. She hit face first on to pavement... it was awful!
Blood everywhere, her hearing aids had been knocked out of her ears. Our nurse thought she was stable enough to be driven to the hospital, but when her blood pressure took a dive I insisted on backboarding her and calling an ambulance. She ended up with multiple scull fractures and bleeding on the brain... it was awful. But thankfully her husband also worked here and was by her side the whole time. She's currently at a rehab facility at her home in West Virginia, and thankfully they expect her to make a full recovery.
Most of my life isn't so exciting... mostly spending hours calling parents about their kids mysterious rash, strep throat diagnosis, vomitting because they ate too many Chaco Tacos... you know, basic camp stuff. :) I'm exhausted and tired, but I'm super sad to be coming home in two weeks! I miss reading blogs and knowing how everyone is doing, and I saw Kirby's baby bump on Facebook... oh my goodness! Life does go on even when I'm at camp, haha.
Well, I'll be home in two weeks, expect more posts from me then! Take care everyone! I'm off to sun myself on the coast of beautiful Lake Michigan. :-)
Monday, August 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Monday, August 8, 2011
I'm Still Alive!
Hey guys, I'm still alive! Camp is busy as usual, and I have to say that I'm exhausted from these 17+ hour workdays. But I feel super accomplished, and being the Health Director was easier for me than I thought it would be! I'm in a hurry to finish this post because my battery is crap and will die at any moment.
Basically, it has been a huge relief to be able to make decisions on my own in the Health Lodge without having to have other people stepping on my toes. We had only one major emergency, but it involved a faculty member, and thankfully not a camper. This poor woman rode her bike down one of the big hills we have on the only paved road, and she hit a sand patch at the side of the road... and off the bike she went. She hit face first on to pavement... it was awful!
Blood everywhere, her hearing aids had been knocked out of her ears. Our nurse thought she was stable enough to be driven to the hospital, but when her blood pressure took a dive I insisted on backboarding her and calling an ambulance. She ended up with multiple scull fractures and bleeding on the brain... it was awful. But thankfully her husband also worked here and was by her side the whole time. She's currently at a rehab facility at her home in West Virginia, and thankfully they expect her to make a full recovery.
Most of my life isn't so exciting... mostly spending hours calling parents about their kids mysterious rash, strep throat diagnosis, vomitting because they ate too many Chaco Tacos... you know, basic camp stuff. :) I'm exhausted and tired, but I'm super sad to be coming home in two weeks! I miss reading blogs and knowing how everyone is doing, and I saw Kirby's baby bump on Facebook... oh my goodness! Life does go on even when I'm at camp, haha.
Well, I'll be home in two weeks, expect more posts from me then! Take care everyone! I'm off to sun myself on the coast of beautiful Lake Michigan. :-)
Basically, it has been a huge relief to be able to make decisions on my own in the Health Lodge without having to have other people stepping on my toes. We had only one major emergency, but it involved a faculty member, and thankfully not a camper. This poor woman rode her bike down one of the big hills we have on the only paved road, and she hit a sand patch at the side of the road... and off the bike she went. She hit face first on to pavement... it was awful!
Blood everywhere, her hearing aids had been knocked out of her ears. Our nurse thought she was stable enough to be driven to the hospital, but when her blood pressure took a dive I insisted on backboarding her and calling an ambulance. She ended up with multiple scull fractures and bleeding on the brain... it was awful. But thankfully her husband also worked here and was by her side the whole time. She's currently at a rehab facility at her home in West Virginia, and thankfully they expect her to make a full recovery.
Most of my life isn't so exciting... mostly spending hours calling parents about their kids mysterious rash, strep throat diagnosis, vomitting because they ate too many Chaco Tacos... you know, basic camp stuff. :) I'm exhausted and tired, but I'm super sad to be coming home in two weeks! I miss reading blogs and knowing how everyone is doing, and I saw Kirby's baby bump on Facebook... oh my goodness! Life does go on even when I'm at camp, haha.
Well, I'll be home in two weeks, expect more posts from me then! Take care everyone! I'm off to sun myself on the coast of beautiful Lake Michigan. :-)
2 comments:
- Kirby said...
-
I'm glad your summer is going well! I've really missed your posts and comments! I still check your blog regularly and can't wait until you can start posting often again!
And lol about my bump! Yep, life is still going on, haha! -
11:31 PM EDT
- Heather said...
-
Yowza, 17+ hour days! I hope they're mostly fun. :)
Scary situation with the bike accident! Glad it turned out okay.
Hahah, those chocolate ice cream tacos. . . Blurg. Thank goodness I can't eat stuff like that anymore.
I hope you get lots of good rest soon! -
2:49 PM EDT
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm glad your summer is going well! I've really missed your posts and comments! I still check your blog regularly and can't wait until you can start posting often again!
And lol about my bump! Yep, life is still going on, haha!
Yowza, 17+ hour days! I hope they're mostly fun. :)
Scary situation with the bike accident! Glad it turned out okay.
Hahah, those chocolate ice cream tacos. . . Blurg. Thank goodness I can't eat stuff like that anymore.
I hope you get lots of good rest soon!
Post a Comment