Friday, August 31, 2012

Readjusting...

Hello! I'm still alive, in case you guys were wondering! I got home from camp on the 20th (almost 2 weeks ago), and I've been trying to readjust to normal life ever since. This is harder than normal, seeing as I just spent three months in the woods working a ridiculous job! Ah, 1,000 parent phone calls, 3 cases of shingles, 1 ambulance, a brain bleed, and a camp wide scavenger hunt later, and I'm home, sweet home. This summer was particularly hard, as we found ourselves incredibly understaffed. As a result, I pulled 17 hour work days, and worked for 40 days straight without a single day off. Needless to say, I came home exhausted!

Yes, I worked a lot, but there were fun times, too. Like the carnivals, and my sister and brother-in-law coming for a visit, and me and my BFF Josh managing to get crazy lost in the woods!

 
 
Yeah, here's me doing what I like to call the broken robot at one of our carnivals, with my assistant Melanie on the left. Haha, and I would like to say that I purchased the socks and board shorts separately, and THEN realized that they matched perfectly! Haha, yeah, we're encouraged to wear "crazy bottoms" for the carnival. :)
 
 
And there is the beauty and serenity of Lake Michigan. I don't know what it is, but when I sit on the shore, it's like all of my stress just melts away. I tell you, if I ever hit the lottery, or make major bank, I'm going to buy myself a sprawling house right on the beach.
 
 
 
And now I'm home, and I have nothing to do, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life. I've decided that I will not be renewing my sub permit! I'm taking a risk, but I'm hoping this forces me to be really serious about finding a permanent job! I was made an offer by my boss at camp, but... it's not exactly what I'm working for. I would basically do very part time work from home during the off-season, and then of course do the full summer. The plus would be I would be getting paychecks through the year, but the downside is it would force me to look for jobs that give me summers off, thus limiting my potential offers.
 
I've also interviewed for a researcher job with U of M, but seeing as that was three weeks ago, and I've heard nothing, I'm not holding my breath. It was only a part time job anyhow, but full benefits! And my boss from the intermediate school district here has strongly encouraged me to apply for four positions he'll be posting soon... and I also applied for a part time health educator position with the Flint schools. All in all, I figure I'll land on my feet, somehow. I didn't get this master's degree for nothing!
 
 
So that's life right now. My friends and I are flying to Las Vegas on Sunday! I am so excited! And the worst part is, I think I'm more excited about simply having something to do versus going to Vegas. I'm not sure what to think about Vegas overall, seeing as I've never been there. (Heck, I've never been further west than Kansas City.) I've never gambled before (not unless you count Dave & Buster's), and I'm not sure about the heat factor... but there will be all kinds of other things to do. I'm looking forward to having girl time, and celebrating the fact that we've all turned 30 this year, and also... I'm proud that I actually have enough money to take a vacation and not feel guilty about it! Anyhow, I'm looking forward to getting caught up on blogs. Facebook is fun, but it's not overly personal.


2 comments:

Kirby said...

Good luck with the job search!

How was Vegas?!

Robin said...

For some reason, I couldn't leave a comment. The captcha thingy was being weird on me.

I like your socks! And yes, how was Vegas?

Friday, August 31, 2012

Readjusting...

Hello! I'm still alive, in case you guys were wondering! I got home from camp on the 20th (almost 2 weeks ago), and I've been trying to readjust to normal life ever since. This is harder than normal, seeing as I just spent three months in the woods working a ridiculous job! Ah, 1,000 parent phone calls, 3 cases of shingles, 1 ambulance, a brain bleed, and a camp wide scavenger hunt later, and I'm home, sweet home. This summer was particularly hard, as we found ourselves incredibly understaffed. As a result, I pulled 17 hour work days, and worked for 40 days straight without a single day off. Needless to say, I came home exhausted!

Yes, I worked a lot, but there were fun times, too. Like the carnivals, and my sister and brother-in-law coming for a visit, and me and my BFF Josh managing to get crazy lost in the woods!

 
 
Yeah, here's me doing what I like to call the broken robot at one of our carnivals, with my assistant Melanie on the left. Haha, and I would like to say that I purchased the socks and board shorts separately, and THEN realized that they matched perfectly! Haha, yeah, we're encouraged to wear "crazy bottoms" for the carnival. :)
 
 
And there is the beauty and serenity of Lake Michigan. I don't know what it is, but when I sit on the shore, it's like all of my stress just melts away. I tell you, if I ever hit the lottery, or make major bank, I'm going to buy myself a sprawling house right on the beach.
 
 
 
And now I'm home, and I have nothing to do, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life. I've decided that I will not be renewing my sub permit! I'm taking a risk, but I'm hoping this forces me to be really serious about finding a permanent job! I was made an offer by my boss at camp, but... it's not exactly what I'm working for. I would basically do very part time work from home during the off-season, and then of course do the full summer. The plus would be I would be getting paychecks through the year, but the downside is it would force me to look for jobs that give me summers off, thus limiting my potential offers.
 
I've also interviewed for a researcher job with U of M, but seeing as that was three weeks ago, and I've heard nothing, I'm not holding my breath. It was only a part time job anyhow, but full benefits! And my boss from the intermediate school district here has strongly encouraged me to apply for four positions he'll be posting soon... and I also applied for a part time health educator position with the Flint schools. All in all, I figure I'll land on my feet, somehow. I didn't get this master's degree for nothing!
 
 
So that's life right now. My friends and I are flying to Las Vegas on Sunday! I am so excited! And the worst part is, I think I'm more excited about simply having something to do versus going to Vegas. I'm not sure what to think about Vegas overall, seeing as I've never been there. (Heck, I've never been further west than Kansas City.) I've never gambled before (not unless you count Dave & Buster's), and I'm not sure about the heat factor... but there will be all kinds of other things to do. I'm looking forward to having girl time, and celebrating the fact that we've all turned 30 this year, and also... I'm proud that I actually have enough money to take a vacation and not feel guilty about it! Anyhow, I'm looking forward to getting caught up on blogs. Facebook is fun, but it's not overly personal.


2 comments:

Kirby said...

Good luck with the job search!

How was Vegas?!

Robin said...

For some reason, I couldn't leave a comment. The captcha thingy was being weird on me.

I like your socks! And yes, how was Vegas?