Monday, November 5, 2012

Monday's Triumph

So... I need to give a more detailed post about the whole job situation, and maybe I will soon. But for now let me give an abbreviated version. Basically I sent out apps like crazy, and got three responses all at the same time! I interviewed on the other side of the state in the middle of nowhere Michigan for a health educator position. I applied on a whim, and didn't think I'd get the job... but I got offered the job immediately after doing two rounds of interviews. I ended up turning it down because the base salary was 5 grand lower than what my lowest entry level salary should be, and my professor said they were trying to get away with highway robbery! Also, even though I was willing to work for less, I was not willing to move across the state for that low of a salary.

Secondly, I also interviewed with the intermediate school district that I worked for last school year. I literally had two interviews on the same day, it was nuts! I drove across the state for the second round interview for the job previously mentioned, then I drove back, did my Couch to 5k run, and did a mad dash for my other interview of the day. The job was basically for me to be a project coordinator for the project I already worked on. Same salary as the other job I was offered... but on a part time basis. Less hours, same amount of money... I don't have to move? So yes, I accepted this job offer.

Meanwhile, literally the day after I did my interview with the ISD, (and had not heard yet about whether or not I was going to get the job) I got called and asked if I could come in the following Monday for a Health Educator position with one of the local county health departments. Heck yeah! So anyhow, I went to that interview, and did really well! I could tell they were really impressed with me. But... being that this is a state job... I could be literally waiting months before I hear back. The salary is pretty awesome (10k higher than what my "entry level" salary should be), fantastic benefits... and the experience would be invaluable.

So what to do? I did a lot of soul searching, and thought I had come to a conclusion. I finally talked with my professor who is like a mentor to me (the woman is amazing), and she talked to me for over an hour about it! And you know what? She came to the same conclusion I did. Work for the ISD, and (her advice, not what I was actually thinking!) if i get called for the county health department, put in my resignation with the ISD. Otherwise, work at the ISD, and hopefully I can also work at the camp, too... and get a very nice boost in income.

So with that being said, today was my first day of work on the new job! I survived... somehow! Haha. Everyone was super nice, but my boss is overworked and since I'm the only person doing my job, there isn't anyone really to train me. The woman I worked with before who did this job is now working on a new project, so while she could pop her head in here and there to give me some advice, I'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants! There is one girl in the office who was in my grad program with me, so that's pretty cool, and like I said, everyone is super nice. Not only did I manage to keep myself busy, but I had to slow my productivity down... the women in the office spend a lot of time chit chatting with each other! Goodness... I guess I'm too used to running a marathon all summer... but everyone around me seems in slow motion!

And finally, my last triumph for the day! So, remember how I said the next Couch to 5k workout meant I'd have to run 20 minutes without stopping to walk, and I was totally not sure if I could do it? Well I tried on Saturday. I went jogging with E, and we went to an arboretum by his apartment. Okay... great, except his pace is faster than mine, and the arboretum has lots of hills, and I'm used to running on a relatively flat surface. So I couldn't do it. I ran 10 minutes, walked 5, and then did another 12. Which was nothing to be ashamed of because I had only up to that point ran 8 minutes at a time. But today, I decided after work to give it one more try. I purposely left my watch inside when I went out for my run. And guess what? I did it! I ran for 20 minutes without stopping once! Yes, I was moving at a turtle's pace, but I did it!!! I am so proud of myself. :) Even as a kid when I did cross country I couldn't run for 20 minutes without stopping to catch my breath.'

Life is good today. :)

No comments:

Monday, November 5, 2012

Monday's Triumph

So... I need to give a more detailed post about the whole job situation, and maybe I will soon. But for now let me give an abbreviated version. Basically I sent out apps like crazy, and got three responses all at the same time! I interviewed on the other side of the state in the middle of nowhere Michigan for a health educator position. I applied on a whim, and didn't think I'd get the job... but I got offered the job immediately after doing two rounds of interviews. I ended up turning it down because the base salary was 5 grand lower than what my lowest entry level salary should be, and my professor said they were trying to get away with highway robbery! Also, even though I was willing to work for less, I was not willing to move across the state for that low of a salary.

Secondly, I also interviewed with the intermediate school district that I worked for last school year. I literally had two interviews on the same day, it was nuts! I drove across the state for the second round interview for the job previously mentioned, then I drove back, did my Couch to 5k run, and did a mad dash for my other interview of the day. The job was basically for me to be a project coordinator for the project I already worked on. Same salary as the other job I was offered... but on a part time basis. Less hours, same amount of money... I don't have to move? So yes, I accepted this job offer.

Meanwhile, literally the day after I did my interview with the ISD, (and had not heard yet about whether or not I was going to get the job) I got called and asked if I could come in the following Monday for a Health Educator position with one of the local county health departments. Heck yeah! So anyhow, I went to that interview, and did really well! I could tell they were really impressed with me. But... being that this is a state job... I could be literally waiting months before I hear back. The salary is pretty awesome (10k higher than what my "entry level" salary should be), fantastic benefits... and the experience would be invaluable.

So what to do? I did a lot of soul searching, and thought I had come to a conclusion. I finally talked with my professor who is like a mentor to me (the woman is amazing), and she talked to me for over an hour about it! And you know what? She came to the same conclusion I did. Work for the ISD, and (her advice, not what I was actually thinking!) if i get called for the county health department, put in my resignation with the ISD. Otherwise, work at the ISD, and hopefully I can also work at the camp, too... and get a very nice boost in income.

So with that being said, today was my first day of work on the new job! I survived... somehow! Haha. Everyone was super nice, but my boss is overworked and since I'm the only person doing my job, there isn't anyone really to train me. The woman I worked with before who did this job is now working on a new project, so while she could pop her head in here and there to give me some advice, I'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants! There is one girl in the office who was in my grad program with me, so that's pretty cool, and like I said, everyone is super nice. Not only did I manage to keep myself busy, but I had to slow my productivity down... the women in the office spend a lot of time chit chatting with each other! Goodness... I guess I'm too used to running a marathon all summer... but everyone around me seems in slow motion!

And finally, my last triumph for the day! So, remember how I said the next Couch to 5k workout meant I'd have to run 20 minutes without stopping to walk, and I was totally not sure if I could do it? Well I tried on Saturday. I went jogging with E, and we went to an arboretum by his apartment. Okay... great, except his pace is faster than mine, and the arboretum has lots of hills, and I'm used to running on a relatively flat surface. So I couldn't do it. I ran 10 minutes, walked 5, and then did another 12. Which was nothing to be ashamed of because I had only up to that point ran 8 minutes at a time. But today, I decided after work to give it one more try. I purposely left my watch inside when I went out for my run. And guess what? I did it! I ran for 20 minutes without stopping once! Yes, I was moving at a turtle's pace, but I did it!!! I am so proud of myself. :) Even as a kid when I did cross country I couldn't run for 20 minutes without stopping to catch my breath.'

Life is good today. :)

No comments: