Um, hi. :) Today is a day where I really don't have much to blog about! Eek!
******
I guess I'll have to give you guys a look in to my day today. We'll call this "What Tamara Did Today."
I went to bed around midnight, which was a bit too late! I woke up this morning a little before 7:30am, grunting at the alarm that insisted on waking me up. I went through my normal routine of bathroom, breakfast, wash, dress, makeup, hair, go! Yup, that's pretty much what I do every morning. I pretty much ran out of the house at 8:15, after giving Teddy and Tabby pats goodbye, and throwing enough snacks to make a lunch in to my bag. I was at the school to sub at 8:20 (it's right down the street), and was ready to go.
School didn't start until 8:35, so I had a few minutes to get ready. I was subbing for first graders, so I knew it would be best to get things organized before they came in. Luckily the teacher came in (apparently she said she took the wrong day off, but was sick so she was going home anyhow) and gave me a quick run-through of how the day should go. I say she was there "luckily" because when I went out in the hall to get the kids, a little boy immediately burst in to tears when he realized the teacher had the day off. Apparently, as another teacher said "he doesn't take transitions very well."
The morning went well enough. The kids were your typical first graders, running around the room, and crying over things like "he stole my pumpkin pencil!" and "she cut me in line!" and "hey, that's my piece of paper! Give it back!!" I had two children who were a huge handful! The teacher had warned me about both, and one had the "island" desk because he just couldn't behave well enough to sit with other students. The island boy as I'll call him was just constantly out of his chair, and doing things like kicking other children. There was one point where he went out in the hall, climbed in to his locker, and refused to get out. Everything in side of me wanted to yank the little brat by the arm and pull him out, but I hardly wanted to get accused of child abuse! Finally I mentioned that he'd have to stay in that locker through recess, and he was inspired to come out. (Later on island boy lifted up the sleeve of his shirt to show me his "patch," which apparently was for ADHD.)
Lunch came not a moment too soon, and finally I got about half an hour to myself. I finally got some quality time to read a book I've been trying to get through for over a month now. Before I was able to get the kids from lunch, their teacher came back to drop off lesson plans for tomorrow. As she dropped them on the desk she said "I hope you don't mind if I get you for tomorrow, too?" Before I could even respond, she said "Great! I'll tell the office to call the job in for you." So... I'm subbing for these kids tomorrow, too.
During the afternoon, the kids got a little out of hand. Finally I ended up sending island boy next door to the kindergarten room. That teacher told me she was more than willing to take a few kids off my hands if need be. After a trip to the library, a game of eraser tag, a game of heads up seven up, reading a science book, and watching "The Land Before Time," it was finally time to get the little ones back to their parents. That too, couldn't come a moment too soon!
Finally, I got home a little around 3:45. Ah, do my feet hurt! I wore my brown suede tennis shoes, too. (They are extra comfy and being suede, I feel like they aren't overly casual and unprofessional.) I had a snack of a granola bar and apple sauce (and a caffeine rush of a cold coke), and now I'm just relaxing. Dinner tonight is turkey tacos, and after that I'll be off to choir rehearsal from 7pm until 9:30. Then, hopefully I can pass out on my bed! Tomorrow... ah. More children, plus I have to find time to stop by the optometrist office to get my new contact lenses, and then I also have to find time to vote! Although voting, is another topic in itself.
That is a walk through of my day! Hope I didn't bore you to tears. There should be more interesting things to blog about tomorrow.
Monday, November 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Monday, November 5, 2007
"What Tamara Did Today"
Um, hi. :) Today is a day where I really don't have much to blog about! Eek!
******
I guess I'll have to give you guys a look in to my day today. We'll call this "What Tamara Did Today."
I went to bed around midnight, which was a bit too late! I woke up this morning a little before 7:30am, grunting at the alarm that insisted on waking me up. I went through my normal routine of bathroom, breakfast, wash, dress, makeup, hair, go! Yup, that's pretty much what I do every morning. I pretty much ran out of the house at 8:15, after giving Teddy and Tabby pats goodbye, and throwing enough snacks to make a lunch in to my bag. I was at the school to sub at 8:20 (it's right down the street), and was ready to go.
School didn't start until 8:35, so I had a few minutes to get ready. I was subbing for first graders, so I knew it would be best to get things organized before they came in. Luckily the teacher came in (apparently she said she took the wrong day off, but was sick so she was going home anyhow) and gave me a quick run-through of how the day should go. I say she was there "luckily" because when I went out in the hall to get the kids, a little boy immediately burst in to tears when he realized the teacher had the day off. Apparently, as another teacher said "he doesn't take transitions very well."
The morning went well enough. The kids were your typical first graders, running around the room, and crying over things like "he stole my pumpkin pencil!" and "she cut me in line!" and "hey, that's my piece of paper! Give it back!!" I had two children who were a huge handful! The teacher had warned me about both, and one had the "island" desk because he just couldn't behave well enough to sit with other students. The island boy as I'll call him was just constantly out of his chair, and doing things like kicking other children. There was one point where he went out in the hall, climbed in to his locker, and refused to get out. Everything in side of me wanted to yank the little brat by the arm and pull him out, but I hardly wanted to get accused of child abuse! Finally I mentioned that he'd have to stay in that locker through recess, and he was inspired to come out. (Later on island boy lifted up the sleeve of his shirt to show me his "patch," which apparently was for ADHD.)
Lunch came not a moment too soon, and finally I got about half an hour to myself. I finally got some quality time to read a book I've been trying to get through for over a month now. Before I was able to get the kids from lunch, their teacher came back to drop off lesson plans for tomorrow. As she dropped them on the desk she said "I hope you don't mind if I get you for tomorrow, too?" Before I could even respond, she said "Great! I'll tell the office to call the job in for you." So... I'm subbing for these kids tomorrow, too.
During the afternoon, the kids got a little out of hand. Finally I ended up sending island boy next door to the kindergarten room. That teacher told me she was more than willing to take a few kids off my hands if need be. After a trip to the library, a game of eraser tag, a game of heads up seven up, reading a science book, and watching "The Land Before Time," it was finally time to get the little ones back to their parents. That too, couldn't come a moment too soon!
Finally, I got home a little around 3:45. Ah, do my feet hurt! I wore my brown suede tennis shoes, too. (They are extra comfy and being suede, I feel like they aren't overly casual and unprofessional.) I had a snack of a granola bar and apple sauce (and a caffeine rush of a cold coke), and now I'm just relaxing. Dinner tonight is turkey tacos, and after that I'll be off to choir rehearsal from 7pm until 9:30. Then, hopefully I can pass out on my bed! Tomorrow... ah. More children, plus I have to find time to stop by the optometrist office to get my new contact lenses, and then I also have to find time to vote! Although voting, is another topic in itself.
That is a walk through of my day! Hope I didn't bore you to tears. There should be more interesting things to blog about tomorrow.
******
I guess I'll have to give you guys a look in to my day today. We'll call this "What Tamara Did Today."
I went to bed around midnight, which was a bit too late! I woke up this morning a little before 7:30am, grunting at the alarm that insisted on waking me up. I went through my normal routine of bathroom, breakfast, wash, dress, makeup, hair, go! Yup, that's pretty much what I do every morning. I pretty much ran out of the house at 8:15, after giving Teddy and Tabby pats goodbye, and throwing enough snacks to make a lunch in to my bag. I was at the school to sub at 8:20 (it's right down the street), and was ready to go.
School didn't start until 8:35, so I had a few minutes to get ready. I was subbing for first graders, so I knew it would be best to get things organized before they came in. Luckily the teacher came in (apparently she said she took the wrong day off, but was sick so she was going home anyhow) and gave me a quick run-through of how the day should go. I say she was there "luckily" because when I went out in the hall to get the kids, a little boy immediately burst in to tears when he realized the teacher had the day off. Apparently, as another teacher said "he doesn't take transitions very well."
The morning went well enough. The kids were your typical first graders, running around the room, and crying over things like "he stole my pumpkin pencil!" and "she cut me in line!" and "hey, that's my piece of paper! Give it back!!" I had two children who were a huge handful! The teacher had warned me about both, and one had the "island" desk because he just couldn't behave well enough to sit with other students. The island boy as I'll call him was just constantly out of his chair, and doing things like kicking other children. There was one point where he went out in the hall, climbed in to his locker, and refused to get out. Everything in side of me wanted to yank the little brat by the arm and pull him out, but I hardly wanted to get accused of child abuse! Finally I mentioned that he'd have to stay in that locker through recess, and he was inspired to come out. (Later on island boy lifted up the sleeve of his shirt to show me his "patch," which apparently was for ADHD.)
Lunch came not a moment too soon, and finally I got about half an hour to myself. I finally got some quality time to read a book I've been trying to get through for over a month now. Before I was able to get the kids from lunch, their teacher came back to drop off lesson plans for tomorrow. As she dropped them on the desk she said "I hope you don't mind if I get you for tomorrow, too?" Before I could even respond, she said "Great! I'll tell the office to call the job in for you." So... I'm subbing for these kids tomorrow, too.
During the afternoon, the kids got a little out of hand. Finally I ended up sending island boy next door to the kindergarten room. That teacher told me she was more than willing to take a few kids off my hands if need be. After a trip to the library, a game of eraser tag, a game of heads up seven up, reading a science book, and watching "The Land Before Time," it was finally time to get the little ones back to their parents. That too, couldn't come a moment too soon!
Finally, I got home a little around 3:45. Ah, do my feet hurt! I wore my brown suede tennis shoes, too. (They are extra comfy and being suede, I feel like they aren't overly casual and unprofessional.) I had a snack of a granola bar and apple sauce (and a caffeine rush of a cold coke), and now I'm just relaxing. Dinner tonight is turkey tacos, and after that I'll be off to choir rehearsal from 7pm until 9:30. Then, hopefully I can pass out on my bed! Tomorrow... ah. More children, plus I have to find time to stop by the optometrist office to get my new contact lenses, and then I also have to find time to vote! Although voting, is another topic in itself.
That is a walk through of my day! Hope I didn't bore you to tears. There should be more interesting things to blog about tomorrow.
1 comment:
- Kirby said...
-
People who teach have my respect. I could never do it.
I did a work study in high school where I helped out at an after school daycare at a local elementary school for an hour an day for a c lass credit. The kids were k-2 and they were so mean to me that I almost walked out more than once. One kid stood 2 feet in front of me, threw a ball directly into my face, and ran away laughing. -
1:32 PM EST
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
People who teach have my respect. I could never do it.
I did a work study in high school where I helped out at an after school daycare at a local elementary school for an hour an day for a c lass credit. The kids were k-2 and they were so mean to me that I almost walked out more than once. One kid stood 2 feet in front of me, threw a ball directly into my face, and ran away laughing.
Post a Comment