Sorry I haven't blogged in a bit! There really wasn't tons for me to blog about. As for the things I did have to blog about, my energy level just wasn't there.
Okay, can I just say that I think it is cruel and unusual punishment for anyone over the age of 20 to live with their parents? I mean seriously! Well, let me rephrase that. It's cruel and unusual punishment to have to live with your mother after the age of 20. I could live here with my father and not be bothered by it at all. It's my neurotic mother that is driving me bonkers. I wonder what in the world happens to those adults who always live with their parents? You know what I mean! It seems like if you think hard enough, you surely know someone who is like 45 and living in their parents' basement. I'd pretty much want to kill myself if that were my life! You know, the whole living at home thing was supposed to be temporary. It was supposed to be for about a year, until I settled on a grad school. Here we are, two years later, and I want to scream.
You're probably wondering where all of this is coming from. To make a long story short, I think I've mentioned in the last couple of weeks that my mom was suffering from a sinus infection that turned in to an ear infection. I can't even remember anymore, but I think it was about a week ago when she broke out in hives from either the sulfa drugs or the antihistamine/decongestant stuff she was on. Of course that was a big drama fest. Move along to Wednesday, when my mom was complaining about some slight numbness to her face near her ear. This was no doubt caused by the sinus infection (my dad even tried to reassure her, telling her that he had some numbness to his face once when he had a really bad ear infection.) She called the doctor complaining, and he even reassured her that it was due to the ear infection. A little later on her numbness magically worked it's way all down her body. So then she called the doctor, complaining of numbness down her body. Of course when he hears that, he tells her to go have herself checked out at the ER. I understand where the doc is coming from, but it was just feeding in to her need for attention. Also, post doc phone call, and pre ER visit, my mom was asking me all the signs and symptoms of stroke. (My heartfelt response was: "I'm not telling you because next thing you know, you'll have those symptoms. I am looking at you and I can tell you you're perfectly fine, you aren't having a stroke. You should go take a nap.")
Yeah, I know I sound like a snot, but I am so over my mother inventing new things that are wrong with her!! My dad took her to the ER so that she could get checked out. My guess was that they'd make her sit in the waiting room for a few hours, then look her over in about two minutes, give her a script for a new antibiotic, and send her on her crazy way. I was almost right about that! What actually happened was that our doctor called ahead, telling them her so-called symptoms. When my parents arrived at the ER, they took her back immediately to make sure she wasn't having either a heart attack or a stroke. When they figured out that for better or worse she was perfectly normal, they sent her out in the waiting room. She was complaining that she must lay down because she was just oh so dizzy, but they made her park it in the waiting room. She claims they made her wait for THREE hours (which is total crap seeing as they left the house at 1pm and were back before 3pm) in the waiting room. After bugging the crap out of the triage nurse, my mother finally got upset and "stormed" out. My thought was that the doctors were probably quite fine with her storming her crazy self out. They actually have EMERGENCIES to deal with in the ER, not "hypochondriac with an ear infection who thinks she's going to die."
Later on at home, all she did was complain, and go on and on about how she can't believe the doctor didn't order for her to be admitted. She then went off on her whole "I'm going to die" routine. I mean seriously, what the hell? You have an ear infection and suddenly you're crying about dying? How can I feel sympathetic to that? My sister, her own daughter, has some serious medical issues going on, but my sister doesn't spend her day crying over it. If my mom wants something to cry over, maybe she should be crying over her daughter's chronic illness, and not over a stupid ear infection. I have no doubt that the ear infection has left my mom feeling lousy, but good lord! There is only so much someone can take, and I have about had it with my mother and her sudden fixation on her impending doom.
******
End of rant.
******
I'm performing in the Holiday Pops concert here on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. We'll be broadcast live on Saturday night, which is just great seeing as I have an atomic bomb of a zit on my chin right now. I really love performing with the orchestra, but after working all day, having a three hour rehearsal in the evening can really be grueling.
One of the women in choir, who has decided to take the other seat next to me (she told a teenage girl tonight in rehearsal that "No no, sorry, you can't sit next to Tamara! She's my eyes and ears, and you'll just have to find another seat!") has asked me to join the Flint Mastersingers group. Yet again, another singing group that the closest member to my age is probably around 40 years old. The only thing tempting about this group is that they actually get paid. Yes, they actually get paying gigs. Not much money of course, but beggars can't be choosers, can they? They're supposed to be considered elite vocalists, so it's kind of fun that someone in the group invited me to join. Ah, I highly doubt I'll join the group, but I guess it was nice to be invited.
And finally, this is what I call the "Oh Snap!" moment of the evening. You have to understand that most of the women in the choir are older, catty, and overall kind of bitchy. In the spirit of the holidays, some singers from local high schools have been invited to take part in the Holiday Pops with our choir (as they do every year). This moment was what resulted from a teenage girl (who was wearing neon pink tights with mustard yellow ballet flats and therefore in my mind, deserved to be bitched at) deciding to get up and leave rehearsal 45 minutes early.
Teenage girl: Oh what time is it? Is it nine already? Oh like, I totally gotta go!
Old biddy choir lady: What? We've got like 45 minutes left. Sit and get comfortable honey.
Teenage girl: No, like I totally gotta go. If you'll excuse me...
Old biddy choir lady: You aren't seriously leaving, are you? Right now? It's unprofessional to leave when the maestro hasn't excused you!
Teenage girl: (Standing up from her seat and scooting toward the end of the riser) Well, like, I have like an hour drive home and stuff, and you know, like I just can't be out that late, you know?
Old biddy choir lady: (Poorly masking her bitchy comment with a chuckle): Well, seeing as we've only had three rehearsals to learn this, and you've already missed two of them, I'd assume you'd actually have interest in learning your music. But if you've got to go, you've got to go.
Oh snap!
Friday, December 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday, December 14, 2007
A rant, a rave, and an oh snap!
Sorry I haven't blogged in a bit! There really wasn't tons for me to blog about. As for the things I did have to blog about, my energy level just wasn't there.
Okay, can I just say that I think it is cruel and unusual punishment for anyone over the age of 20 to live with their parents? I mean seriously! Well, let me rephrase that. It's cruel and unusual punishment to have to live with your mother after the age of 20. I could live here with my father and not be bothered by it at all. It's my neurotic mother that is driving me bonkers. I wonder what in the world happens to those adults who always live with their parents? You know what I mean! It seems like if you think hard enough, you surely know someone who is like 45 and living in their parents' basement. I'd pretty much want to kill myself if that were my life! You know, the whole living at home thing was supposed to be temporary. It was supposed to be for about a year, until I settled on a grad school. Here we are, two years later, and I want to scream.
You're probably wondering where all of this is coming from. To make a long story short, I think I've mentioned in the last couple of weeks that my mom was suffering from a sinus infection that turned in to an ear infection. I can't even remember anymore, but I think it was about a week ago when she broke out in hives from either the sulfa drugs or the antihistamine/decongestant stuff she was on. Of course that was a big drama fest. Move along to Wednesday, when my mom was complaining about some slight numbness to her face near her ear. This was no doubt caused by the sinus infection (my dad even tried to reassure her, telling her that he had some numbness to his face once when he had a really bad ear infection.) She called the doctor complaining, and he even reassured her that it was due to the ear infection. A little later on her numbness magically worked it's way all down her body. So then she called the doctor, complaining of numbness down her body. Of course when he hears that, he tells her to go have herself checked out at the ER. I understand where the doc is coming from, but it was just feeding in to her need for attention. Also, post doc phone call, and pre ER visit, my mom was asking me all the signs and symptoms of stroke. (My heartfelt response was: "I'm not telling you because next thing you know, you'll have those symptoms. I am looking at you and I can tell you you're perfectly fine, you aren't having a stroke. You should go take a nap.")
Yeah, I know I sound like a snot, but I am so over my mother inventing new things that are wrong with her!! My dad took her to the ER so that she could get checked out. My guess was that they'd make her sit in the waiting room for a few hours, then look her over in about two minutes, give her a script for a new antibiotic, and send her on her crazy way. I was almost right about that! What actually happened was that our doctor called ahead, telling them her so-called symptoms. When my parents arrived at the ER, they took her back immediately to make sure she wasn't having either a heart attack or a stroke. When they figured out that for better or worse she was perfectly normal, they sent her out in the waiting room. She was complaining that she must lay down because she was just oh so dizzy, but they made her park it in the waiting room. She claims they made her wait for THREE hours (which is total crap seeing as they left the house at 1pm and were back before 3pm) in the waiting room. After bugging the crap out of the triage nurse, my mother finally got upset and "stormed" out. My thought was that the doctors were probably quite fine with her storming her crazy self out. They actually have EMERGENCIES to deal with in the ER, not "hypochondriac with an ear infection who thinks she's going to die."
Later on at home, all she did was complain, and go on and on about how she can't believe the doctor didn't order for her to be admitted. She then went off on her whole "I'm going to die" routine. I mean seriously, what the hell? You have an ear infection and suddenly you're crying about dying? How can I feel sympathetic to that? My sister, her own daughter, has some serious medical issues going on, but my sister doesn't spend her day crying over it. If my mom wants something to cry over, maybe she should be crying over her daughter's chronic illness, and not over a stupid ear infection. I have no doubt that the ear infection has left my mom feeling lousy, but good lord! There is only so much someone can take, and I have about had it with my mother and her sudden fixation on her impending doom.
******
End of rant.
******
I'm performing in the Holiday Pops concert here on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. We'll be broadcast live on Saturday night, which is just great seeing as I have an atomic bomb of a zit on my chin right now. I really love performing with the orchestra, but after working all day, having a three hour rehearsal in the evening can really be grueling.
One of the women in choir, who has decided to take the other seat next to me (she told a teenage girl tonight in rehearsal that "No no, sorry, you can't sit next to Tamara! She's my eyes and ears, and you'll just have to find another seat!") has asked me to join the Flint Mastersingers group. Yet again, another singing group that the closest member to my age is probably around 40 years old. The only thing tempting about this group is that they actually get paid. Yes, they actually get paying gigs. Not much money of course, but beggars can't be choosers, can they? They're supposed to be considered elite vocalists, so it's kind of fun that someone in the group invited me to join. Ah, I highly doubt I'll join the group, but I guess it was nice to be invited.
And finally, this is what I call the "Oh Snap!" moment of the evening. You have to understand that most of the women in the choir are older, catty, and overall kind of bitchy. In the spirit of the holidays, some singers from local high schools have been invited to take part in the Holiday Pops with our choir (as they do every year). This moment was what resulted from a teenage girl (who was wearing neon pink tights with mustard yellow ballet flats and therefore in my mind, deserved to be bitched at) deciding to get up and leave rehearsal 45 minutes early.
Teenage girl: Oh what time is it? Is it nine already? Oh like, I totally gotta go!
Old biddy choir lady: What? We've got like 45 minutes left. Sit and get comfortable honey.
Teenage girl: No, like I totally gotta go. If you'll excuse me...
Old biddy choir lady: You aren't seriously leaving, are you? Right now? It's unprofessional to leave when the maestro hasn't excused you!
Teenage girl: (Standing up from her seat and scooting toward the end of the riser) Well, like, I have like an hour drive home and stuff, and you know, like I just can't be out that late, you know?
Old biddy choir lady: (Poorly masking her bitchy comment with a chuckle): Well, seeing as we've only had three rehearsals to learn this, and you've already missed two of them, I'd assume you'd actually have interest in learning your music. But if you've got to go, you've got to go.
Oh snap!
Okay, can I just say that I think it is cruel and unusual punishment for anyone over the age of 20 to live with their parents? I mean seriously! Well, let me rephrase that. It's cruel and unusual punishment to have to live with your mother after the age of 20. I could live here with my father and not be bothered by it at all. It's my neurotic mother that is driving me bonkers. I wonder what in the world happens to those adults who always live with their parents? You know what I mean! It seems like if you think hard enough, you surely know someone who is like 45 and living in their parents' basement. I'd pretty much want to kill myself if that were my life! You know, the whole living at home thing was supposed to be temporary. It was supposed to be for about a year, until I settled on a grad school. Here we are, two years later, and I want to scream.
You're probably wondering where all of this is coming from. To make a long story short, I think I've mentioned in the last couple of weeks that my mom was suffering from a sinus infection that turned in to an ear infection. I can't even remember anymore, but I think it was about a week ago when she broke out in hives from either the sulfa drugs or the antihistamine/decongestant stuff she was on. Of course that was a big drama fest. Move along to Wednesday, when my mom was complaining about some slight numbness to her face near her ear. This was no doubt caused by the sinus infection (my dad even tried to reassure her, telling her that he had some numbness to his face once when he had a really bad ear infection.) She called the doctor complaining, and he even reassured her that it was due to the ear infection. A little later on her numbness magically worked it's way all down her body. So then she called the doctor, complaining of numbness down her body. Of course when he hears that, he tells her to go have herself checked out at the ER. I understand where the doc is coming from, but it was just feeding in to her need for attention. Also, post doc phone call, and pre ER visit, my mom was asking me all the signs and symptoms of stroke. (My heartfelt response was: "I'm not telling you because next thing you know, you'll have those symptoms. I am looking at you and I can tell you you're perfectly fine, you aren't having a stroke. You should go take a nap.")
Yeah, I know I sound like a snot, but I am so over my mother inventing new things that are wrong with her!! My dad took her to the ER so that she could get checked out. My guess was that they'd make her sit in the waiting room for a few hours, then look her over in about two minutes, give her a script for a new antibiotic, and send her on her crazy way. I was almost right about that! What actually happened was that our doctor called ahead, telling them her so-called symptoms. When my parents arrived at the ER, they took her back immediately to make sure she wasn't having either a heart attack or a stroke. When they figured out that for better or worse she was perfectly normal, they sent her out in the waiting room. She was complaining that she must lay down because she was just oh so dizzy, but they made her park it in the waiting room. She claims they made her wait for THREE hours (which is total crap seeing as they left the house at 1pm and were back before 3pm) in the waiting room. After bugging the crap out of the triage nurse, my mother finally got upset and "stormed" out. My thought was that the doctors were probably quite fine with her storming her crazy self out. They actually have EMERGENCIES to deal with in the ER, not "hypochondriac with an ear infection who thinks she's going to die."
Later on at home, all she did was complain, and go on and on about how she can't believe the doctor didn't order for her to be admitted. She then went off on her whole "I'm going to die" routine. I mean seriously, what the hell? You have an ear infection and suddenly you're crying about dying? How can I feel sympathetic to that? My sister, her own daughter, has some serious medical issues going on, but my sister doesn't spend her day crying over it. If my mom wants something to cry over, maybe she should be crying over her daughter's chronic illness, and not over a stupid ear infection. I have no doubt that the ear infection has left my mom feeling lousy, but good lord! There is only so much someone can take, and I have about had it with my mother and her sudden fixation on her impending doom.
******
End of rant.
******
I'm performing in the Holiday Pops concert here on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon. We'll be broadcast live on Saturday night, which is just great seeing as I have an atomic bomb of a zit on my chin right now. I really love performing with the orchestra, but after working all day, having a three hour rehearsal in the evening can really be grueling.
One of the women in choir, who has decided to take the other seat next to me (she told a teenage girl tonight in rehearsal that "No no, sorry, you can't sit next to Tamara! She's my eyes and ears, and you'll just have to find another seat!") has asked me to join the Flint Mastersingers group. Yet again, another singing group that the closest member to my age is probably around 40 years old. The only thing tempting about this group is that they actually get paid. Yes, they actually get paying gigs. Not much money of course, but beggars can't be choosers, can they? They're supposed to be considered elite vocalists, so it's kind of fun that someone in the group invited me to join. Ah, I highly doubt I'll join the group, but I guess it was nice to be invited.
And finally, this is what I call the "Oh Snap!" moment of the evening. You have to understand that most of the women in the choir are older, catty, and overall kind of bitchy. In the spirit of the holidays, some singers from local high schools have been invited to take part in the Holiday Pops with our choir (as they do every year). This moment was what resulted from a teenage girl (who was wearing neon pink tights with mustard yellow ballet flats and therefore in my mind, deserved to be bitched at) deciding to get up and leave rehearsal 45 minutes early.
Teenage girl: Oh what time is it? Is it nine already? Oh like, I totally gotta go!
Old biddy choir lady: What? We've got like 45 minutes left. Sit and get comfortable honey.
Teenage girl: No, like I totally gotta go. If you'll excuse me...
Old biddy choir lady: You aren't seriously leaving, are you? Right now? It's unprofessional to leave when the maestro hasn't excused you!
Teenage girl: (Standing up from her seat and scooting toward the end of the riser) Well, like, I have like an hour drive home and stuff, and you know, like I just can't be out that late, you know?
Old biddy choir lady: (Poorly masking her bitchy comment with a chuckle): Well, seeing as we've only had three rehearsals to learn this, and you've already missed two of them, I'd assume you'd actually have interest in learning your music. But if you've got to go, you've got to go.
Oh snap!
1 comment:
- Robin said...
-
A friend of mine who I used to work with, she's FORTY and still lives at home. Her sister I believe is 31 or 32 now and lives at home too. And both of them have no plans of leaving anytime soon. They could easily move out and live together. That is one I don't get at all!
My mom was the reason I had to absolutely move out! She drove me up the wall with her complaining. I would of probably stayed at home longer if it wasn't for her!
You'll get to move out on your own soon enough though. Just keep pestering your friend! LOL. -
9:59 PM EST
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
A friend of mine who I used to work with, she's FORTY and still lives at home. Her sister I believe is 31 or 32 now and lives at home too. And both of them have no plans of leaving anytime soon. They could easily move out and live together. That is one I don't get at all!
My mom was the reason I had to absolutely move out! She drove me up the wall with her complaining. I would of probably stayed at home longer if it wasn't for her!
You'll get to move out on your own soon enough though. Just keep pestering your friend! LOL.
Post a Comment