Well today is the day that I start grad school! Eek... I tossed and turned all night wondering what the heck I'm getting myself in to. The good news is that I didn't have thoughts about making the wrong decision! I was just questioning myself as to whether or not I am fully prepared for this.
I was feeling pretty confident up until the grad orientation I went to on Monday. A lot of the people in my program are non-traditional, that being, since this is a grad program that is welcoming to those in health care already, most of the students are working and taking like one or two classes. The head of the department looked at me almost curiously when I said that I was taking four classes. Her response was "Oh, you're going to be a busy girl! I hope you don't have plans to work full time, too!"
An innocent response, I suppose. I'm not planning on working full time, but still, it was enough to plant a little seed of doubt in my head. I mean, will four classes be too much to handle? I've got all these visions in my mind of getting a dean's scholarship for next year, which means I've got to have an B+/A- average. Ah. I guess my biggest fear is not doing as well as I could, simply because I took on too much at once.
But then again, I was thinking of taking on medical school at one point, so if I could do that I can surely do this. Right? I also felt quite guilty that my bigger worry was how I'm going to make it through classes that last for two hours and 45 minutes! Seriously, one class, almost three hours long? I had labs that lasted that long, or longer in the past, but at least those classes were hands on. I don't know that I'll do a great job on focusing if I'm expected to sit in a chair for almost three hours.
Well, we'll see how this all goes! I'll try not to let grad school be the only topic of my blogs! Because even I'd be bored with that!
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
And so it begins...
Well today is the day that I start grad school! Eek... I tossed and turned all night wondering what the heck I'm getting myself in to. The good news is that I didn't have thoughts about making the wrong decision! I was just questioning myself as to whether or not I am fully prepared for this.
I was feeling pretty confident up until the grad orientation I went to on Monday. A lot of the people in my program are non-traditional, that being, since this is a grad program that is welcoming to those in health care already, most of the students are working and taking like one or two classes. The head of the department looked at me almost curiously when I said that I was taking four classes. Her response was "Oh, you're going to be a busy girl! I hope you don't have plans to work full time, too!"
An innocent response, I suppose. I'm not planning on working full time, but still, it was enough to plant a little seed of doubt in my head. I mean, will four classes be too much to handle? I've got all these visions in my mind of getting a dean's scholarship for next year, which means I've got to have an B+/A- average. Ah. I guess my biggest fear is not doing as well as I could, simply because I took on too much at once.
But then again, I was thinking of taking on medical school at one point, so if I could do that I can surely do this. Right? I also felt quite guilty that my bigger worry was how I'm going to make it through classes that last for two hours and 45 minutes! Seriously, one class, almost three hours long? I had labs that lasted that long, or longer in the past, but at least those classes were hands on. I don't know that I'll do a great job on focusing if I'm expected to sit in a chair for almost three hours.
Well, we'll see how this all goes! I'll try not to let grad school be the only topic of my blogs! Because even I'd be bored with that!
I was feeling pretty confident up until the grad orientation I went to on Monday. A lot of the people in my program are non-traditional, that being, since this is a grad program that is welcoming to those in health care already, most of the students are working and taking like one or two classes. The head of the department looked at me almost curiously when I said that I was taking four classes. Her response was "Oh, you're going to be a busy girl! I hope you don't have plans to work full time, too!"
An innocent response, I suppose. I'm not planning on working full time, but still, it was enough to plant a little seed of doubt in my head. I mean, will four classes be too much to handle? I've got all these visions in my mind of getting a dean's scholarship for next year, which means I've got to have an B+/A- average. Ah. I guess my biggest fear is not doing as well as I could, simply because I took on too much at once.
But then again, I was thinking of taking on medical school at one point, so if I could do that I can surely do this. Right? I also felt quite guilty that my bigger worry was how I'm going to make it through classes that last for two hours and 45 minutes! Seriously, one class, almost three hours long? I had labs that lasted that long, or longer in the past, but at least those classes were hands on. I don't know that I'll do a great job on focusing if I'm expected to sit in a chair for almost three hours.
Well, we'll see how this all goes! I'll try not to let grad school be the only topic of my blogs! Because even I'd be bored with that!
3 comments:
- Robin said...
-
You're going to do just fine. One day at a time!! :D
-
4:07 AM EDT
- Kirby said...
-
Good luck with school! I'm sure you will do great. Now that you are back from camp you should post more often! I've missed you.
-
12:18 AM EDT
- Kim said...
-
I'm a week late, but I hope it went well! And WOW that you're even going to grad school! You're my hero... Seriously, that's a really amazing thing and I hope you're beaming with pride!
-
4:10 PM EDT
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You're going to do just fine. One day at a time!! :D
Good luck with school! I'm sure you will do great. Now that you are back from camp you should post more often! I've missed you.
I'm a week late, but I hope it went well! And WOW that you're even going to grad school! You're my hero... Seriously, that's a really amazing thing and I hope you're beaming with pride!
Post a Comment