Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Last of the Camp Blogs

So this is a blog that I'm doing remotely so to speak... I'm typing it on my computer knowing that I won't be able to post it until I get home on Monday night. It's currently 10:20 pm, on Friday, August 15th. Sigh! Camp is over, and it's giving me very mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm utterly exhausted. I've been working 12 to 17 hour days for pretty much three months straight with little time off. But on the other hand, I feel like if I could work a normal 8 hour day, I'd rather be here than anywhere else.
Perhaps it's just the transition that is bugging me right now. I know I'll be coming back home, and there are still some unresolved things to deal with at home. Am I going to be moving out this fall? What about grad school, how is my work load going to be? Am I going to be stuck subbing for the entire school year, or will something else better spring up? Can I make rent without a roommate, or can I finally convince Bernadette to move on out with me? Oh the questions that continue to wander through my mind.
Another question, why am I still at the health lodge? Why am I waiting for one of the health staff to bring down a child who got kicked in the head? What are his parents going to say? Am I going to be up half the night because his parents want him to go to the hospital? Err. And we had had to call a fourth ambulance this session. 4 ambulances this summer, what the hell? Somehow it managed to be my night off again for this one.
I sat down and had a long chat with my boss Heidi on Wednesday. She was very flattering to me. I was expecting some form of constructive criticism, but she had none. She is clever, I'll give her that. Unlike my boss Jenn, who lays all her cards on the table and then wonders why you always beat her at her own game, Heidi pulls out one card at a time. While I know from my conversations with Jenn that Heidi is eyeing me to become the new health director, Heidi didn't mention anything about it at all. She did tell me that I am one of a handful of people who are invaluable to the camp, and that I will always have a home here, no matter what. When I told her I wasn't sure if I could return next summer, she told me not to worry at all, because if I need to take a summer or two off, she'd find a place for me whenever I chose to return. See that phrasing? Not "if" I choose to return, but "when." She told me that she thinks the health aspect of camp has been a perfect fit for me, but that I have strong skills and she'll let me explore any area of camp I'd like to work in. No pressure at all, huh? Like I said, this conversation was very flattering, but it is also very intimidating when someone is basically telling me they'll let me pick my career at my own leisure, if I so choose.
Ah anyhow, here's a funny story to end my camp blog on. So tonight was the camper dance, and the staff have quite a bit of fun, too. Me and Jenn went out to have fun and to take pictures of lots of people being goofy. Well, about an hour ago, as the dance was wrapping up, Jenn and I were walking along with Roommate Coworker. (By the way, Roommate Coworker and I have been getting along much better than last year, which I'm sure I'll comment on at some point later.) Anyhow, Roommate Coworker was commenting on the fact that a place in the cement outside the camp store was a bit of a hazard, and that a kid could easily get their foot stuck in it. As she was demonstrating how a camper could get their foot stuck, I stupidly stepped behind her. When she stepped back, her hand went back, ran in to my ice cream cone, and collided with my boob! So now Roommate Coworker and Jenn are both sitting on the ground, laughing so hard at me they were almost crying, and I'm flailing around trying to get the cold ice cream off my chest. The best part was that the majority of the ice cream stayed on my cone, but it was all shaped into a perfect mold of Roommate Coworker's hand and my boob. Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous. So then I had to walk around with this big huge ice cream stain on my chest, right over my boob, while Jenn and Roommate Coworker are trailing behind me, laughing hysterically. What a way to end the summer, right? There are pictures too, maybe I'll post one later.

No comments:

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Last of the Camp Blogs

So this is a blog that I'm doing remotely so to speak... I'm typing it on my computer knowing that I won't be able to post it until I get home on Monday night. It's currently 10:20 pm, on Friday, August 15th. Sigh! Camp is over, and it's giving me very mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm utterly exhausted. I've been working 12 to 17 hour days for pretty much three months straight with little time off. But on the other hand, I feel like if I could work a normal 8 hour day, I'd rather be here than anywhere else.
Perhaps it's just the transition that is bugging me right now. I know I'll be coming back home, and there are still some unresolved things to deal with at home. Am I going to be moving out this fall? What about grad school, how is my work load going to be? Am I going to be stuck subbing for the entire school year, or will something else better spring up? Can I make rent without a roommate, or can I finally convince Bernadette to move on out with me? Oh the questions that continue to wander through my mind.
Another question, why am I still at the health lodge? Why am I waiting for one of the health staff to bring down a child who got kicked in the head? What are his parents going to say? Am I going to be up half the night because his parents want him to go to the hospital? Err. And we had had to call a fourth ambulance this session. 4 ambulances this summer, what the hell? Somehow it managed to be my night off again for this one.
I sat down and had a long chat with my boss Heidi on Wednesday. She was very flattering to me. I was expecting some form of constructive criticism, but she had none. She is clever, I'll give her that. Unlike my boss Jenn, who lays all her cards on the table and then wonders why you always beat her at her own game, Heidi pulls out one card at a time. While I know from my conversations with Jenn that Heidi is eyeing me to become the new health director, Heidi didn't mention anything about it at all. She did tell me that I am one of a handful of people who are invaluable to the camp, and that I will always have a home here, no matter what. When I told her I wasn't sure if I could return next summer, she told me not to worry at all, because if I need to take a summer or two off, she'd find a place for me whenever I chose to return. See that phrasing? Not "if" I choose to return, but "when." She told me that she thinks the health aspect of camp has been a perfect fit for me, but that I have strong skills and she'll let me explore any area of camp I'd like to work in. No pressure at all, huh? Like I said, this conversation was very flattering, but it is also very intimidating when someone is basically telling me they'll let me pick my career at my own leisure, if I so choose.
Ah anyhow, here's a funny story to end my camp blog on. So tonight was the camper dance, and the staff have quite a bit of fun, too. Me and Jenn went out to have fun and to take pictures of lots of people being goofy. Well, about an hour ago, as the dance was wrapping up, Jenn and I were walking along with Roommate Coworker. (By the way, Roommate Coworker and I have been getting along much better than last year, which I'm sure I'll comment on at some point later.) Anyhow, Roommate Coworker was commenting on the fact that a place in the cement outside the camp store was a bit of a hazard, and that a kid could easily get their foot stuck in it. As she was demonstrating how a camper could get their foot stuck, I stupidly stepped behind her. When she stepped back, her hand went back, ran in to my ice cream cone, and collided with my boob! So now Roommate Coworker and Jenn are both sitting on the ground, laughing so hard at me they were almost crying, and I'm flailing around trying to get the cold ice cream off my chest. The best part was that the majority of the ice cream stayed on my cone, but it was all shaped into a perfect mold of Roommate Coworker's hand and my boob. Yeah, it was pretty ridiculous. So then I had to walk around with this big huge ice cream stain on my chest, right over my boob, while Jenn and Roommate Coworker are trailing behind me, laughing hysterically. What a way to end the summer, right? There are pictures too, maybe I'll post one later.

No comments: