Monday, February 16, 2009

Shoveling it on...

I'm going to give you guys an example of why it always seems that I bring too much work on myself. To explain this brief story, I'll say that it's a class on Cultural Competency, that is both an undergrad, and a grad class. There is one main lecture, and then the class splits in to two to have their own discussions about things studied in the big lecture. There are a total of seven grad students in the class, with six being in the one section, oh, and that's right, little old me being the lone grad student in the other section. That's all the background you need for the following conversation.

Me: (talking to my professor after class) So, I was talking with the other grad students about our final presentation for the undergrads, and...

Professor: Oh! I'm excited to hear what you've come up with! Tell me about it.

Me: Well, we were wondering if we could break in to groups, and, kind of follow the ideas of team building exercises.

Professor: Sounds very interesting! Tell me more.

Me: Well, we don't have the details worked out yet. But basically, we could split the class in to groups, and do various activities with them, all about Cultural Competency, but you know, kind of following the format of team building exercises.

Professor: Oh, okay, so do any of you have any practice at moderating? That's going to be necessary if you're following that kind of format.

Me: Yes, I mean, I don't know about the other grad students, but I definitely do. I help to run team building exercises during the summer, and I serve as a moderator and facilitator of sorts.

Professor: Excellent! So this was your idea then, I take it?

Me: Um, I mean the "team building" format was my idea, but we're just going to use that as a basis to work from. None of us have come up with specific topics yet.

Professor: You know, Tamara, I've been thinking. How would you like to do another project? Do your project with the other grad students, but how about you give your own presentation for this section? I'd be very interested to see how you work with the undergrad students independently.

Me: Ah, well, I mean...

Professor: Excellent! I can't wait to hear your ideas! Get back to me after Spring break and we'll discuss your thoughts in more detail.

Me: Alright...


Damn. Another freaking project? On top of the other one I already need to do? Ehhh. My head hurts already.

2 comments:

Kirby said...

Oh no! Is there any way you could go talk to him and say that you've thought about it and that you don't have time to do the project? Explain that you have a full load and don't want to overload yourself.

Tamara said...

You know, I should. This is a part of my whole "working to be assertive" thing, right?

Monday, February 16, 2009

Shoveling it on...

I'm going to give you guys an example of why it always seems that I bring too much work on myself. To explain this brief story, I'll say that it's a class on Cultural Competency, that is both an undergrad, and a grad class. There is one main lecture, and then the class splits in to two to have their own discussions about things studied in the big lecture. There are a total of seven grad students in the class, with six being in the one section, oh, and that's right, little old me being the lone grad student in the other section. That's all the background you need for the following conversation.

Me: (talking to my professor after class) So, I was talking with the other grad students about our final presentation for the undergrads, and...

Professor: Oh! I'm excited to hear what you've come up with! Tell me about it.

Me: Well, we were wondering if we could break in to groups, and, kind of follow the ideas of team building exercises.

Professor: Sounds very interesting! Tell me more.

Me: Well, we don't have the details worked out yet. But basically, we could split the class in to groups, and do various activities with them, all about Cultural Competency, but you know, kind of following the format of team building exercises.

Professor: Oh, okay, so do any of you have any practice at moderating? That's going to be necessary if you're following that kind of format.

Me: Yes, I mean, I don't know about the other grad students, but I definitely do. I help to run team building exercises during the summer, and I serve as a moderator and facilitator of sorts.

Professor: Excellent! So this was your idea then, I take it?

Me: Um, I mean the "team building" format was my idea, but we're just going to use that as a basis to work from. None of us have come up with specific topics yet.

Professor: You know, Tamara, I've been thinking. How would you like to do another project? Do your project with the other grad students, but how about you give your own presentation for this section? I'd be very interested to see how you work with the undergrad students independently.

Me: Ah, well, I mean...

Professor: Excellent! I can't wait to hear your ideas! Get back to me after Spring break and we'll discuss your thoughts in more detail.

Me: Alright...


Damn. Another freaking project? On top of the other one I already need to do? Ehhh. My head hurts already.

2 comments:

Kirby said...

Oh no! Is there any way you could go talk to him and say that you've thought about it and that you don't have time to do the project? Explain that you have a full load and don't want to overload yourself.

Tamara said...

You know, I should. This is a part of my whole "working to be assertive" thing, right?