Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Headache and Head Scratching
Well, today has been pretty normal, except for one semi-eventful thing which I'll mention below. I've been to class, and also been nursing a nagging headache all day. Nothing incapacitating, but completely irritating and annoying nonetheless! It is due to a few factors, the first being the weather, the second being stress, and the third being lack of sleep over the past few days. Tomorrow I have no class, and I am not working because I have homework and packing to do, so I am going to take advantage of being able to sleep in!
Okay, so the semi-eventful thing I had happen today. This morning, I talked to my boss Heidi. Remember how I came straight out and told her I was ready to discuss the promotion she's offered in the past? Well, I wasn't exactly nervous, but I also knew that just because it was on the table didn't necessarily mean it was mine for the taking. There are lots of other people who would gladly elbow me in the face for that job... and seeing as I had passed it up before, I didn't know if this was just a "suggestion" or a true "offer."
Well she and I had a really long talk, about everything from work to life to the her kids to school, to everything. She talked a lot about my experience and my leadership ability, and told me that I had been an ideal candidate for this job for a few years, but she was basically just waiting for me to decide that I wanted it. Wow, did she give me a lot to think about! I can tell she's already decided I will do it, because she kept slipping and saying things like "when you're an associate next summer, and... oh I mean IF...."
Yes... and she also told me she doesn't really have another candidate, and I think she tried to guilt me with this, by saying "well, if you don't want to do it, of course I understand, sigh, but we'll make it work with someone else... we won't have a choice."
So yes. Interesting. She did lighten up a bit and I could tell she really wanted an answer this morning, but she nicely told me to hold on to my thoughts, feel free to email her or call her with any question big or small (she said except if I was going to ask her if I had to go to breakfast in the mornings, and the answer to that was YES), and that I could take the next two weeks to think it through. It is one thing to say I want to talk about it, it is another thing entirely to agree to it! I think I will most likely say yes, but I'm going to take advantage of the time she's giving me to really think about it. I figure let me get moved in an settled next week, and then I can really put my head where it is suppose to be.
So I guess this decision is to be continued...
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Headache and Head Scratching
Well, today has been pretty normal, except for one semi-eventful thing which I'll mention below. I've been to class, and also been nursing a nagging headache all day. Nothing incapacitating, but completely irritating and annoying nonetheless! It is due to a few factors, the first being the weather, the second being stress, and the third being lack of sleep over the past few days. Tomorrow I have no class, and I am not working because I have homework and packing to do, so I am going to take advantage of being able to sleep in!
Okay, so the semi-eventful thing I had happen today. This morning, I talked to my boss Heidi. Remember how I came straight out and told her I was ready to discuss the promotion she's offered in the past? Well, I wasn't exactly nervous, but I also knew that just because it was on the table didn't necessarily mean it was mine for the taking. There are lots of other people who would gladly elbow me in the face for that job... and seeing as I had passed it up before, I didn't know if this was just a "suggestion" or a true "offer."
Well she and I had a really long talk, about everything from work to life to the her kids to school, to everything. She talked a lot about my experience and my leadership ability, and told me that I had been an ideal candidate for this job for a few years, but she was basically just waiting for me to decide that I wanted it. Wow, did she give me a lot to think about! I can tell she's already decided I will do it, because she kept slipping and saying things like "when you're an associate next summer, and... oh I mean IF...."
Yes... and she also told me she doesn't really have another candidate, and I think she tried to guilt me with this, by saying "well, if you don't want to do it, of course I understand, sigh, but we'll make it work with someone else... we won't have a choice."
So yes. Interesting. She did lighten up a bit and I could tell she really wanted an answer this morning, but she nicely told me to hold on to my thoughts, feel free to email her or call her with any question big or small (she said except if I was going to ask her if I had to go to breakfast in the mornings, and the answer to that was YES), and that I could take the next two weeks to think it through. It is one thing to say I want to talk about it, it is another thing entirely to agree to it! I think I will most likely say yes, but I'm going to take advantage of the time she's giving me to really think about it. I figure let me get moved in an settled next week, and then I can really put my head where it is suppose to be.
So I guess this decision is to be continued...
3 comments:
- Kim said...
-
I never complained this much this SOON before. Toward the end of the month, I was so sick of it. But this year, it feels like the end of the month already.
I'm sorry about the headache, but the conversation with Heidi sounds pretty awesome to me! Doesn't it feel good to be so wanted?? To have it confirmed that you're awesome! -
1:47 AM EST
- Robin said...
-
It will be funny on the last day of blogging. I think there will be one huge collective sigh of happiness from all of us when we're done!
And I agree with Kim, you are awesome and the fine folks at Blue Lake think so, too!! :) -
5:57 PM EST
- Tamara said...
-
You guys are nice... I'm a little worried... taking that promotion almost certainly means I'll be dealing with a fair amount of stress this summer... do I really want to sign up for that?
-
12:21 AM EST
3 comments:
I never complained this much this SOON before. Toward the end of the month, I was so sick of it. But this year, it feels like the end of the month already.
I'm sorry about the headache, but the conversation with Heidi sounds pretty awesome to me! Doesn't it feel good to be so wanted?? To have it confirmed that you're awesome!
It will be funny on the last day of blogging. I think there will be one huge collective sigh of happiness from all of us when we're done!
And I agree with Kim, you are awesome and the fine folks at Blue Lake think so, too!! :)
You guys are nice... I'm a little worried... taking that promotion almost certainly means I'll be dealing with a fair amount of stress this summer... do I really want to sign up for that?
Post a Comment