Saturday, February 20, 2010

The One Where I Stood Up For Myself

I am a lazy blogger lately. But it can be kind of hard for me to blog when I feel overwhelmed. I mean, I've been working a lot, and my internship takes up the rest of my time, plus throw in school, and dragging my feet on my thesis... and yeah.

So things have been going remarkably well with my gramma... she regained consciousness and they took her completely off the ventilator... it was amazing. I've gotten to see her twice since then, once the Friday after I last blogged, then once again on Tuesday. She of course was too weak to get out of bed, but overall, smiled and talked and was much more of her usual self. The doctor then started talking about she could live possibly another two years.

Great, right? Except she was recently moved back to ICU, and then out again, and I'm not sure why, although she is still fully alert. And, I got into a big argument with my aunts last Friday when I visited.

Yeah, it was stupid, and I will skip most of the details. I will say that while sitting in a family lounge, one of my aunts thought she was going to "call me out" so to speak about a comment I made on Facebook about being disappointed in how our family was behaving. I think she thought I was going to be the passive 12 year old she remembered, but instead, I surprised her by being the vocal 28 year old that I am.

I firmly (without raising my voice) told her I meant what I said, that all the bickering and fighting needed to end, and that gramma deserved better. She quietly agreed with me, but then a moment later decided to get a dig in at my mother. When I firmly (still without raising my voice) decided to defend my mother, my other aunt, the more vocal one, started announcing that my mother is a "liar."

Yes... I couldn't let that one slide, so I firmly told her she was wrong and that she needed to stop calling my mother a liar... and a few other things. So she was quite surprised that I stood up to her, too.

That was pretty much where it ended, except of course I am sure they're still talking smack about me. And my mom was pretty upset about hearing of it, but she's calmed down... and yeah. My only worry is that they'll just continue their hardest to try to alienate me and my family. Seeing as my gramma should be moving in with the most vocal (and evil) of the two, I feel like they are going to try their best to make us feel unwelcome to visit my gramma.

So that's my new current stress. My gramma is doing better, and yet, that in itself worries me.

******

I hope to be able to blog about something a little lighter in the near future.

2 comments:

Kirby said...

Good for you! Something needed to be said.

I hope that your gramma continues to improve. (hugs!!)

Heather said...

I'm glad you were able to say what you needed to say. And calmly. Impressive. Opening up a can of wh*p@ss is sooo tempting at times like that.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

The One Where I Stood Up For Myself

I am a lazy blogger lately. But it can be kind of hard for me to blog when I feel overwhelmed. I mean, I've been working a lot, and my internship takes up the rest of my time, plus throw in school, and dragging my feet on my thesis... and yeah.

So things have been going remarkably well with my gramma... she regained consciousness and they took her completely off the ventilator... it was amazing. I've gotten to see her twice since then, once the Friday after I last blogged, then once again on Tuesday. She of course was too weak to get out of bed, but overall, smiled and talked and was much more of her usual self. The doctor then started talking about she could live possibly another two years.

Great, right? Except she was recently moved back to ICU, and then out again, and I'm not sure why, although she is still fully alert. And, I got into a big argument with my aunts last Friday when I visited.

Yeah, it was stupid, and I will skip most of the details. I will say that while sitting in a family lounge, one of my aunts thought she was going to "call me out" so to speak about a comment I made on Facebook about being disappointed in how our family was behaving. I think she thought I was going to be the passive 12 year old she remembered, but instead, I surprised her by being the vocal 28 year old that I am.

I firmly (without raising my voice) told her I meant what I said, that all the bickering and fighting needed to end, and that gramma deserved better. She quietly agreed with me, but then a moment later decided to get a dig in at my mother. When I firmly (still without raising my voice) decided to defend my mother, my other aunt, the more vocal one, started announcing that my mother is a "liar."

Yes... I couldn't let that one slide, so I firmly told her she was wrong and that she needed to stop calling my mother a liar... and a few other things. So she was quite surprised that I stood up to her, too.

That was pretty much where it ended, except of course I am sure they're still talking smack about me. And my mom was pretty upset about hearing of it, but she's calmed down... and yeah. My only worry is that they'll just continue their hardest to try to alienate me and my family. Seeing as my gramma should be moving in with the most vocal (and evil) of the two, I feel like they are going to try their best to make us feel unwelcome to visit my gramma.

So that's my new current stress. My gramma is doing better, and yet, that in itself worries me.

******

I hope to be able to blog about something a little lighter in the near future.

2 comments:

Kirby said...

Good for you! Something needed to be said.

I hope that your gramma continues to improve. (hugs!!)

Heather said...

I'm glad you were able to say what you needed to say. And calmly. Impressive. Opening up a can of wh*p@ss is sooo tempting at times like that.