Monday, March 15, 2010

The Theme of March: Getting Screwed Over

I'm going to stop apologizing for not blogging, because in the end, if I don't have anything to say, the last thing I should do is post some boring blog about nothing, right?

Life is going, per usual. I'm crazy busy with school, work, my internship, and the other random things that pop up in life. It's good I guess to be busy, but I feel like valuable time is slipping away from me. For instance, trying to get my thesis done has become a nightmare. It isn't even my fault at this point! The professor advising me has been completely MIA, as in, has offered me no advising at all this semester. NONE. Oh I've met his twice, back in January, early February, but has he given me any advice? Any deadlines? Any words of wisdom? Nope. Nothing, nada. The only thing he did ask me back then was when I wanted to have my thesis done by. That's it. I have literally been stalking the man, going to my department's office day after day, only not to find him. I've sent him email after email for him not to reply back. I've even called for him repeatedly, and have only gotten one response. He called me last Tuesday, and said I could meet him on Friday. Was he there on Friday when I went to meet him? No, of course not, why would he be where he said he's going to be when he said he's going to be there?

I want to scream. I want to cry. Time is working against me. It would be one thing if I could just write a big paper and be done with it, but I can't. My proposal has to go through the ethics board before I can actually do my research. And they will only look at your work once or twice a month, and they are notorious for sending your work back for corrections. So basically, I have a very small chance at this point of getting it done by the time summer hits. And it wouldn't even be that bad if I could work on it during the summer, but lord knows I barely have enough time to shower and brush my teeth in the summer, much less work on a thesis.

I just feel completely and utterly screwed, and like this has nothing to do with me. I am at my wits end right now. I even complained to the chair of the department on Friday, and I don't know what else to do. I just wrote my professor a very long, huge, guilt trip of an email for not replying back to me. Hopefully that works, because at this point I'm so angry/frustrated/anxious over this whole thing that I don't know what else to do.

And, let me add that my sister owes me $65 dollars... and really more than that, seeing as she totally spent my birthday money because she didn't want to just "hand out cash" and that she'd go shopping soon for my birthday... but oops, just accidentally spent the money instead. So I called her today, seeing as she was supposed to pay me the $65 over a month ago... and of course I got her voicemail. My friends and I are going to Grand Rapids on Friday for a friend's birthday, and I would really like that money to pay for my share of the hotel expenses. I just feel like everywhere I turn, someone is screwing me over in some capacity.

So yeah, clearly, I'm very frustrated right now. Why can't people just do what they say they're going to do? Am I the only one who likes to stick to my word? Geez!

5 comments:

Robin said...

Well that sucks! About your thesis, that is. I hope you get some answers soon!

I just happened to read in a magazine {OK, it was Reader's Digest - don't judge!} where there will be a feature coming verrry soon that if someone owes you money, they can pay you back through your cell phone. Too bad it's not available right now...

Heather said...

Have you considered posting your issue on thegradcafe.com or chronicle.com's forum, in the area for graduate students? I'm thinking the guilt-trip thing might not play into the faculty-power model. Could you offer to take the advisor to a pub? For coffee? Or lure with pizza? From my experience, they respond to fawning and flattery best, especially if they're old school.

Heather said...

I hope you're getting somewhere with your advisor. I hear this kind of thing happens all the time, but it's just not cool.

Kirby said...

Sorry you're having a rough time! It sounds like my department/advisor, ugh!

Anonymous said...

You mentioned wanting to scream and cry? It's therapeutic, I highly recommend that you do it, I mean that.

Hugs hugs hugs...there will eventually be a light at the end of the tunnel (or it could all be in your mind cause maybe it's all causing a mental breakdown and you're hallucinating....)

:D ;)

Monday, March 15, 2010

The Theme of March: Getting Screwed Over

I'm going to stop apologizing for not blogging, because in the end, if I don't have anything to say, the last thing I should do is post some boring blog about nothing, right?

Life is going, per usual. I'm crazy busy with school, work, my internship, and the other random things that pop up in life. It's good I guess to be busy, but I feel like valuable time is slipping away from me. For instance, trying to get my thesis done has become a nightmare. It isn't even my fault at this point! The professor advising me has been completely MIA, as in, has offered me no advising at all this semester. NONE. Oh I've met his twice, back in January, early February, but has he given me any advice? Any deadlines? Any words of wisdom? Nope. Nothing, nada. The only thing he did ask me back then was when I wanted to have my thesis done by. That's it. I have literally been stalking the man, going to my department's office day after day, only not to find him. I've sent him email after email for him not to reply back. I've even called for him repeatedly, and have only gotten one response. He called me last Tuesday, and said I could meet him on Friday. Was he there on Friday when I went to meet him? No, of course not, why would he be where he said he's going to be when he said he's going to be there?

I want to scream. I want to cry. Time is working against me. It would be one thing if I could just write a big paper and be done with it, but I can't. My proposal has to go through the ethics board before I can actually do my research. And they will only look at your work once or twice a month, and they are notorious for sending your work back for corrections. So basically, I have a very small chance at this point of getting it done by the time summer hits. And it wouldn't even be that bad if I could work on it during the summer, but lord knows I barely have enough time to shower and brush my teeth in the summer, much less work on a thesis.

I just feel completely and utterly screwed, and like this has nothing to do with me. I am at my wits end right now. I even complained to the chair of the department on Friday, and I don't know what else to do. I just wrote my professor a very long, huge, guilt trip of an email for not replying back to me. Hopefully that works, because at this point I'm so angry/frustrated/anxious over this whole thing that I don't know what else to do.

And, let me add that my sister owes me $65 dollars... and really more than that, seeing as she totally spent my birthday money because she didn't want to just "hand out cash" and that she'd go shopping soon for my birthday... but oops, just accidentally spent the money instead. So I called her today, seeing as she was supposed to pay me the $65 over a month ago... and of course I got her voicemail. My friends and I are going to Grand Rapids on Friday for a friend's birthday, and I would really like that money to pay for my share of the hotel expenses. I just feel like everywhere I turn, someone is screwing me over in some capacity.

So yeah, clearly, I'm very frustrated right now. Why can't people just do what they say they're going to do? Am I the only one who likes to stick to my word? Geez!

5 comments:

Robin said...

Well that sucks! About your thesis, that is. I hope you get some answers soon!

I just happened to read in a magazine {OK, it was Reader's Digest - don't judge!} where there will be a feature coming verrry soon that if someone owes you money, they can pay you back through your cell phone. Too bad it's not available right now...

Heather said...

Have you considered posting your issue on thegradcafe.com or chronicle.com's forum, in the area for graduate students? I'm thinking the guilt-trip thing might not play into the faculty-power model. Could you offer to take the advisor to a pub? For coffee? Or lure with pizza? From my experience, they respond to fawning and flattery best, especially if they're old school.

Heather said...

I hope you're getting somewhere with your advisor. I hear this kind of thing happens all the time, but it's just not cool.

Kirby said...

Sorry you're having a rough time! It sounds like my department/advisor, ugh!

Anonymous said...

You mentioned wanting to scream and cry? It's therapeutic, I highly recommend that you do it, I mean that.

Hugs hugs hugs...there will eventually be a light at the end of the tunnel (or it could all be in your mind cause maybe it's all causing a mental breakdown and you're hallucinating....)

:D ;)