Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Hodge-Podge of a Post

Okay, here I am in class, and doing a quick blog! Oh where to start... geez.

Well, as you all know, my gramma passed away recently. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. My family of course turned it into a big and ugly show, but at least my gramma went peacefully. The funeral was last Tuesday, and while I did go to Blue Lake on that previous Friday, I came home on Sunday so I could attending the viewing. It's just weird to think about how my family really isn't very connected anymore. I really don't expect to have much contact with my aunts, uncles, or cousins now that my grandmother has passed. It's sad, but there isn't much that I can do to change it. Instead of being sad about it, I'm trying to make peace with it.

Moving on, there has been a big fuss about my thesis. To sum it up, I got approval from our IRB, but I was supposed to do a survey with kids. At the very last minute, the principal of the school that I was doing the survey at decided to back out. So yes, my work got complete approval, but no, I can't actually do it. It is incredibly frustrating to say the least! So yes, I will be completely done with my school work, except for actual data and results for my thesis... so guess who gets to re-enroll in school in the fall for one credit to take a thesis continuation? Oh that's right, this kid. I won't lie, I had a moment where I literally sobbed over this, but I've made peace with this too. I will have more time to do quality work, and I can be anywhere in the world and submit my work electronically. So yes, it sucks, but no, it's not really going to hold me up when it comes to finding a job, etc.

And speaking of finding a job, I've been offered two! Which is great, except they are both here in Flint, and I really was hoping to find a new atmosphere in the near future. It's funny because my professors always told us we could get great jobs, as long as we were willing to relocate, and here I end up getting offered two jobs locally. The first is an offer from one of my professors, for a project she is hoping to get grant funding for. She wants to run a program that works with teen girls who are at high risk of teen pregnancy. She ran a similar program when she worked at the University of Alabama, and apparently had great results with lowering local rates of teen pregnancy so hopefully this will get grant funding here. If so, she wants me to be the head health educator on the project, and I would do a lot of work with recruiting the girls and developing the curriculum actually being used with the girls.

I also got offered a job with the agency I did my internship with. It would be more of a part time job, but if it is possible, it would be a great source of supplementary income. I'd be doing a lot of what I was doing before, but this time I'd actually be getting paid for it. There would also be new tasks for me to do, but again, I'd be getting paid so that would be nice. The nice thing is, even if that is the only job I actually secure, it would still be more income than I'm currently making... so that is a plus. It would mean even if I do need to continue subbing, I would be able to do it a couple of days less a week.

Okay, so finally, before I end this hodge-podge of a blog, I just wanted to say that I know I owe you guys a picture or two of my new hair. Unfortunately, I left my camera with all the pictures of my hair at camp... so it will have to wait til my next blog. But I will try to post those soon!

I am going to try to be a little bit better at blogging this summer... and dare I say my new job might make that a big easier. So far, I am really enjoying the new job (famous last words!). In comparison to my old job, I much less stressed out at this point of orientation than I've been in the past. So we'll see how that continues.

Ok, I'll try to post again sometime next week. Til then, see ya!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the jobs are opening up for you! The teen pregnancy project sound really interesting. I'm geeking out but I'd be so curious to read a good paper on the results.

Hair Hair Hair! I'm holding on to the promise of pics!

Heather said...

Glad to hear things are going well. Sorry to hear about the delay with the thesis, but I think you have the right spirit about it. :)

Robin said...

When are you done with Blue Lake?!?! I miss your posts!!! :-P

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Hodge-Podge of a Post

Okay, here I am in class, and doing a quick blog! Oh where to start... geez.

Well, as you all know, my gramma passed away recently. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. My family of course turned it into a big and ugly show, but at least my gramma went peacefully. The funeral was last Tuesday, and while I did go to Blue Lake on that previous Friday, I came home on Sunday so I could attending the viewing. It's just weird to think about how my family really isn't very connected anymore. I really don't expect to have much contact with my aunts, uncles, or cousins now that my grandmother has passed. It's sad, but there isn't much that I can do to change it. Instead of being sad about it, I'm trying to make peace with it.

Moving on, there has been a big fuss about my thesis. To sum it up, I got approval from our IRB, but I was supposed to do a survey with kids. At the very last minute, the principal of the school that I was doing the survey at decided to back out. So yes, my work got complete approval, but no, I can't actually do it. It is incredibly frustrating to say the least! So yes, I will be completely done with my school work, except for actual data and results for my thesis... so guess who gets to re-enroll in school in the fall for one credit to take a thesis continuation? Oh that's right, this kid. I won't lie, I had a moment where I literally sobbed over this, but I've made peace with this too. I will have more time to do quality work, and I can be anywhere in the world and submit my work electronically. So yes, it sucks, but no, it's not really going to hold me up when it comes to finding a job, etc.

And speaking of finding a job, I've been offered two! Which is great, except they are both here in Flint, and I really was hoping to find a new atmosphere in the near future. It's funny because my professors always told us we could get great jobs, as long as we were willing to relocate, and here I end up getting offered two jobs locally. The first is an offer from one of my professors, for a project she is hoping to get grant funding for. She wants to run a program that works with teen girls who are at high risk of teen pregnancy. She ran a similar program when she worked at the University of Alabama, and apparently had great results with lowering local rates of teen pregnancy so hopefully this will get grant funding here. If so, she wants me to be the head health educator on the project, and I would do a lot of work with recruiting the girls and developing the curriculum actually being used with the girls.

I also got offered a job with the agency I did my internship with. It would be more of a part time job, but if it is possible, it would be a great source of supplementary income. I'd be doing a lot of what I was doing before, but this time I'd actually be getting paid for it. There would also be new tasks for me to do, but again, I'd be getting paid so that would be nice. The nice thing is, even if that is the only job I actually secure, it would still be more income than I'm currently making... so that is a plus. It would mean even if I do need to continue subbing, I would be able to do it a couple of days less a week.

Okay, so finally, before I end this hodge-podge of a blog, I just wanted to say that I know I owe you guys a picture or two of my new hair. Unfortunately, I left my camera with all the pictures of my hair at camp... so it will have to wait til my next blog. But I will try to post those soon!

I am going to try to be a little bit better at blogging this summer... and dare I say my new job might make that a big easier. So far, I am really enjoying the new job (famous last words!). In comparison to my old job, I much less stressed out at this point of orientation than I've been in the past. So we'll see how that continues.

Ok, I'll try to post again sometime next week. Til then, see ya!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the jobs are opening up for you! The teen pregnancy project sound really interesting. I'm geeking out but I'd be so curious to read a good paper on the results.

Hair Hair Hair! I'm holding on to the promise of pics!

Heather said...

Glad to hear things are going well. Sorry to hear about the delay with the thesis, but I think you have the right spirit about it. :)

Robin said...

When are you done with Blue Lake?!?! I miss your posts!!! :-P