Quick post tonight before I go to bed!
So, this whole getting healthy thing... that is in various ways. I'm starting small and trying to work my way up. I'm setting various goals... so I'll just talk about a few of my goals that I've thought about today.
Goal #1: Lose a bit of weight to get into a healthy weight range.
I'm really not trying to get caught up on a number on the scale... but I do recognize that I am slightly overweight. I won't post my weight, but a healthy BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9... and I am currently at 25.6. Boo. I'm not too worried about it, because losing about 5 pounds will literally put me back at a healthy weight. But it is kind of frustrating, because with long term subbing 1st grade plus my after school job, when the heck can I find time for the gym? I guess it means I'll have to watch my diet, instead.
Goal #2: Eat more fruits and vegetables.
Talking about watching my diet brings me to goal number 2. I know as a health ed person that for optimal health, one really needs to eat at least 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day. Do I eat 5 servings? Not even... sometimes I'm lucky if I eat one serving in a day. What can I say? I'm a total carnivore. Sometimes, meat, cheese, and bread is what my diet looks like on any given day. So, I'm trying to slowly but surely add more healthy stuff to my diet. I think I did pretty good today, too! I didn't get to 5 servings, but I didn't do too bad, either. I cut up a kiwi and put that in my lunch, plus I had 100% fruit juice (believe it or not, juice does count as a serving), and at the focus group I went to for work, they served us awesome grilled chicken salads with dried cherries, mandarin oranges, pineapple, almond slices, and a raspberry vinaigrette. Normally I don't like vinaigrette, but with the combination with the fruit it was super yummy! So that pretty much makes 3 servings today.
Goal #3: Drink more water.
Water is another thing I have a super hard time with. I just don't like the taste of it, and I never had. In fact, I almost never ever drink it. If I had my free choice, I'll always pick a Coke. Who wants water when you can have an ice cold Coke? But today... I made it a point to drink water. Yes, I only drank one glass, but trust me when I say that is a very good step for me.
So anyhoo, those are just a few things I've consciously done today to try to be a healthier me. We'll see how tomorrow goes.
1 comment:
I wouldn't worry about your BMI. It's a rubbish statistic. According to that, some people who are extremely fit and have loads of muscle mass would be classified as overweight or obese. (There's a great article on NPR's website called "Why the BMI Is Bogus"; check it out when you can. And there are other articles out there in this regard.)
Post a Comment